Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I was at a seminar by a judge once on costuming, and he even SAID: "If you're Karina, you can wear a burlap sack and look good. The rest of us need help."
    ajiboyet likes this.
  2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I don't get it... I am watching DWTS again...and I don't get it. Charleston? Disco? Is this a ballroom show? As much as I admire Paula Abdul, is she qualified to judge ballroom? And the bolero that I saw is not the bolero I know... It is almost a travesty to what I know of ballroom. I wish there was a show that televised authentic ballroom dancing... DWTS seems to be just choreographed show dances, nothing wrong with that, but it is not ballroom.
  3. danceronice

That was international rumba, not bolero. It wasn't even close to slow enough. (And I find it very hard to believe Cheryl is that clueless about it.)

I get that they wanted to throw something at the 'all-stars' that they hadn't run into, but given that was the case, they should have left out mambo. That was GREAT, but it's not the first time it's been on the show. If Gilles and Peta were going to be left to figure out what the heck Bollywood was, there shouldn't have been a style done before (jitterbug) and two that the pros at least SHOULD know (Bolero and Mambo.)

However, anytime Gilles would like to dance Bollywood, I'm more than happy to watch. Especially without his shirt.
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Not necessarily a bad "dance" from Emit, but an absolutely horrendous excuse for a bolero.
  5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I think Cheryl competed in Rhythm, so I'm sure she has a very good idea what bolero IS. But I agree with SD. Plus, she just danced around him and didn't let him dance. The judges swooned.
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Mazen and Isabella danced a pro smooth tango showdance to "bollywood" music at OSB in 2010. The video clip is on youtube.
  7. danceronice

....and? The challenge wasn't do a ballroom dance with the theme of "Bollywood" (which Derek actually already did on DWTS.) It was to do a Bollywood number.

And I don't blame Bristol for wanting choreography she could deal with rather than getting thrown through Mark's bag of stunts. For once she didn't look like a deer in the headlights because she wasn't panicking about what was coming next. (And a BUNNY SUIT? Mark needs his account with the Halloween Store taken away.) I'd rather see someone do something they're comfortable with well than look like an idiot dancing above their proficiency level. (Yes, that's 99.99% of everyone ever on the show, but still.) Challenges are for lessons, performance is when you do what you can do well. Kirstie also didn't have a very challenging routine and was able to sell it rather than spend the whole time running to keep up. I think it's pretty clear the producers really want them gone next, so I doubt it really matters which goes first (they got the kiss-of-death early spots.)

The one who got kid gloves was Kelly and her ridiculous "contemporary" routine. You could do a Contemporary Cliches Drinking Game to it and be drunk fifteen seconds in. I admit I have exactly zero respect for it as a style no matter who's doing it though when it DOES express good technique (ballet) and extension I at least appreciate the training required, but running around in your underwear rolling on the floor and rubbing yourself on your partner isn't especially risky, challenging, or stretching oneself (there wasn't even that much of that literally.) I suppose it was successful in that Val had no idea what he was doing, and if you told someone who doesn't know anything about contemporary to create a routine by watching videos of it, that's what you'd get. The soap voters must be voting heavy, though, as she got the money spot.

Yes, Emmitt was overscored too. It wasn't bad...too bad it wasn't bolero.

I felt the worst for Karina, though. She didn't look comfortable at any point, and she obviously felt like she let Apolo down. I must have looked away when whatever happened with her mic pack happened, so I don't know what that was, but she just seemed to be trying so hard to be hip-hop and not getting it and she looked so upset. I hope they're not sent home, though I don't know it matters. At this point the "Final Four" looks like it really ought to be Shawn, Gilles, Melissa, and Sabrina. Bristol should be gone this week, Kirstie next week (or vice-versa.) Dark horse for elimination-Emmitt or Apolo. Val's shirtlessness and the soap fans will keep Kelly around. After that I may start voting to keep Melissa in the running. I realize Shawn's probably going to win but I'd kind of like to see Tony in the final two at least.
  8. ajiboyet

Aren't you displeased...
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I also have a hard time believing that Cheryl was so clueless about Bolero. But then I saw their "bolero" and am thinking I stand corrected. Last night was very hit or miss for me. I thought Apolo and Karina did just fine, I wasn't that distracted by her fall until she made such a big deal out of it. But hip hop? Disco? Bollywood? Rock and Roll? Not a fan at all. I think they could at least keep the dances in the partner dance realm. Do the Peabody for crying out loud!! lol I disliked last night's show very much.

The one bright spot was Derek and Shawn. I've haven't always been a huge fan of Derek's on the show, but I think he is doing a great job showing off Shawn in a good way, rather than just my partner is a hottie type way. And Shawn seems so ready to attack everything he throws at her. She seems much more confident and comfortable in her own skin now. But she was only 17 last time so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I know I felt much better in my own skin at 20 or 21 than at 17.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree with all the above posts. DWTS is the main vehicle for exposure of ballroom dancing to the general public. Ridiculous themes and huge deviations from classic dances only reinforces inaccurate views of ballroom. The public thinks they know what a mambo or paso is, based on what they see on DWTS. Worst still, are the DWTS judges who should know better, but seem to be voting purely on what is the most "entertaining". After the judges were thrilled with Emmitt's "bolero", I had to turn the TV off! I wonder if there would be an audience for a network that actually televises an authentic competition. They could do a "reality" spin on it, following the top couples of an upcoming comp in the weeks before, watching their rehearsals, interactions and so forth.
  11. ajiboyet

Or polka. I find polka fascinating.
    Wannabee likes this.
  12. SDsalsaguy

Couldn't agree more.

DWTS has higher rating than SYTYCD, so why DWTS is trying to be a copy is beyond me, especially seeing as SYTYCD is pairing experienced dancers together.
    debmc likes this.
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Louis and Sabrina did a great Disco. Doriana Sanchez would be proud of all the stuff he threw in there. Judges pick on her too much, I think, compared to some *ahem* other stars. Agree, that was NOT a Bolero, Bristol phoned it in as usual, and that contemporary routine was awkward and predictable. But for someone who hasn't seen the same moves on SYTYCD again and again (and done well), it probably looked good.

I hope the right person gets eliminated. And then maybe pigs will fly... :rolleyes:
    IndyLady likes this.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

And, what's your point? Or better still, what's your problem?

I was only commenting about Mazen and Isabella's showdance, because that's the about only "bollywood" reference I've seen, that was in ballroom partner dance form.

The only other "bollywood" dance that comes to mind is a kids group dance number from America's Got Talent.

Good for you for being to able to interpret exactly what "bollywood" is, especially DWTS style.
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Exactly. Any number of partner dances out there to choose from. So why last night? No...just no. lol
  16. ajiboyet

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I just watched the dances that I missed...
    I thought Gilles was terrific. He really is an awesome dancer... good at every dance he does. I did not really understand mambo as a dance option as they have had mambo on every DWTS so it is not something different to assign it this week. Their mambo was cute.. lots of choreography to display her gymnastic skills which makes sense. Considering that Kelly is not a professional dancer I thought her contemporary was brave.. I can't even imagine trying to do the routine she did, I think assigning contemporary is probably over the top, but she did show alot of athleticism. I thought Apolo did well at hip hop. I was surprised to see Karina in tears at the end. It just is odd to see the direction that DWTS is going in... they seem like they are trying to be a SYTYCDWTS. I think Gilles will win in the end.
  18. SDsalsaguy

That was shown on the show. Actually, the only pro who had something they claimed not to be familiar with who wasn't shown getting outside help was Val for contemporary.
  19. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

20. danceronice

It's called "having actually watched a Bollywood movie or two." (Even "Slumdog Millionaire" would count and funnily enough their song was Jai Ho, from that movie.) They weren't told to do ballroom with a Bollywood element. That would make far too much sense for DWTS and ironically enough Derek got dinged either last season or the season before for doing a samba that was "too Bollywood."

And Peta definitely got help, though the instructor didn't get as much air time as the hip-hop guy.

Finally I predict correctly (I've been assuming Bristol would go for like two weeks--I really thought the double elimination was a deliberate attempt to get rid of her), and I believe it was the real bottom two. Bet Kirstie's gone next week. WISH it would be Kelly, but you cannot fight the soap people. (I hated what I saw of her in season 1, too.)

No Peabody. My pro keeps trying to get me to do it already. He doesn't need more ammo.
  21. ajiboyet

And the pigs flew!