Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

hahaha i wonder if Harold Wheeler took offense to Derek's comment since this is the second week in a row Derek has had a complaint and been blunt about it....none of the other pros complain about their music no matter how sucky... and i believe harold chooses the music if i am not mistaken.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Not only chooses (I would think the producers and the legal/clearance people have a big say), but has to arrange it for orchestra and singers, since they're playing it live and have to figure out how to perform it. Complaints about the music on the show aside, he actually has a really difficult job. (Though I wish someone would have suggested during movie week they invest in a pitch pipe and tuner for the high winds as they were shriekingly off on some pieces.)

It's less that Derek doesn't have a point than that he's hardly the only one who's ever been given problematic music, and the others have not whined about it right on camera or blamed weak performances/marks on 'well, it was a bad song.' It's in poor taste. Just like a real competition, save it for in private (Maks seems to have learned to do that as he started out being a lot more vocal than he is now.)
  3. Griffico

Griffico Member

I still say the pros should have some veto power in the music, but if they don't, I think they should film the pros' reactions when they get truly awful music. I would have probably paid money to see Louis Van Amstel's reaction when he was told to do a Foxtrot to "Yankee Doodle Dandy." :)
  4. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

The music choices can be bizarre at best. Derek's music was pretty bad last night, and unlike with Psycho, there probably not much he could have done to make it fit here. But making Hope dance tango to Bon Jovi was even worse, and I really don't get it. There are tons of fun songs from the 80s that would more naturally fit a tango. Living on a Prayer isn't in the ballpark, not in the same state, and maybe not even on the same planet. (I would have liked to see tango to maybe Blinded Me With Science or Der Kommisar.)
  5. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

:uplaugh:

I could forgive Hope's clunky dancing if she weren't so openly contemptuous of the judges. Honestly, she makes me want to smack her when she's (not) listening to them.
  6. danceronice

That must have been priceless. I do wonder sometimes how many takes they have to do when the pro gets the music....
  7. TinyDancer109

normally, i would agree. but this season i do believe it was possibly Chynna (?) that said, "It's difficult because the music isnt the same as we practiced".... or maybe that WAS ricki?? .... lol :confused:
  8. TinyDancer109

PS - very sorry to see Carson go. Should have been Chaz.
  9. danceronice

EVERY season it would be different music from when they practice, people have said it before. Live is always going to vary from recorded (tempo, balance, etc) and I just hope whoever cuts the CDs for the pros has the good sense to give the the edited-for-time version they'll be using as all the songs are cut down. Just the sound of full orchestra vs. recording could be enough to mess with your head. But it's the same for everyone.

And I thought Hope actually looked let down when she realized she was staying. I think she really doesn't seem to be enjoying herself at this point.
  10. TinyDancer109

oh, i agree, regarding the live music.

i will have to watch that part again to see what hope's reaction was.
  11. Griffico

Griffico Member

Finally saw it over lunch... agreed that Hope looks like she's checked out. Not only did she look bummed that she's not done, I would add that she also looked positively gleeful when she found out she was in jeopardy.

If that's really the case, I wish she would have just quit and let Carson stay. I don't want to watch a broadway-themed dance that she's not into.
  12. Another Elizabeth

Not to mention, Carson, on Broadway! It would have been fabulous! (Ok, the dancing would still have sucked - but the theme was totally made for him.)
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think it is also possible that Hope that, given her degree of fitness, this was going to be much easier than it actually is....and she doesn't have much time to process through that particular bubble burst
  14. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

In one season of Strictly Come Dancing, a couple was assigned a song in 4/4 time for a waltz. In the post-dance interview, the pro basically said 'the biggest difficulty there was that that song was not a waltz, it was not in the right time signature, it was a rumba or a foxtrot.'
  15. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

After seeing the additional behind-the-scenes footage of Hope and Maks, I also feel that she is overwhelmed with not being able to be as good as many had predicted. I can't speak to attitude versus ability, but her being an admitted perfectionist in a highly pressured and emotional situation is tough. I think she expected to be able to dance well and it's not coming easy to her at all, and she's not happy settling for OK-ish dancing like Carson. She almost needs to step back and start over and fix both her mindset and her body's reaction to what it is being asked to do by Maks; but unfortunately there really isn't time for that now...:neutral: Her expression last night to me looked more like "Why the heck can't I do this?!?" than "Whatever. I quit and I just wanna go home."
    I don't believe she's a quitter, but I think she unexpectedly found herself in over her head. I imagine it's a painful blow to the ego for an athlete.

Loved seeing Louis and Karina dancing. Very nice.
  16. Griffico

Griffico Member

Thanks for putting it in perspective... I hope you're right!
  17. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Athletes have been a very mixed bag on this show. For whatever reason, everyone expected Hope to be really good, and no one had anywhere near that expectation for Ron Artest. I don't understand why. With the skaters and gymnasts, I can understand that they have strong natural advantages from their training. But a soccer goalie? Sure, she might have ended up being a natural dancer too, but there's almost no reason to expect that she would be any better than a Rick Fox or Kurt Warner, etc...
  18. Another Elizabeth

But she's a girl! And she's pretty! Obviously she will be a good dancer!

[/sarcasm]
  19. danceronice

I think no one had high hopes for World Peace Guy because basketball players seem to have more issues with it than the other athletes. (Also, how seriously can you take a guy who is busy changing his name to Metta World Peace?) There was no frame of reference for a soccer player.

And of course she got assigned to Maks, so I think there's a lot of high hopes for a popular pro to get a really good star. Especially since he's probably the most popular but he's never won. So there's always the "Maybe THIS TIME..." However, apparently not.
  20. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Keep in mind that she's a goalie. It doesn't necessarily require the amazing footwork that you see in some other positions in soccer. I agree that pairing her with Maks might have raised some hopes, but maybe the producers have Maks pegged as the Susan Lucci of the show? (Losing 18 Daytime Emmy nominations before finally winning once, and no, I didn't know that she was on DWTS til I just looked her up). But if you are looking for a frame of reference for Hope, it may be that Monica Seles is a better fit than Kristi Yamaguchi.