Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

the other point that i think Maks did have but was unable to articulate properly was that the judges dont always give constructive crticism but prefer to just rip contestants' egos apart with broad negative comments sometimes.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

zomg....I find the opposite to be true...the crap they gush over and call awesome makes me ill...usually when they make a critique it is booed by the crowd and done so tinged with guilt and regret ...
  3. Beto

Beto Active Member

Ditto. Carrie Ann's especially guilty of this. Bruno I tolerate and Len I absolutely respect but the inconsistency of their judging just makes me ill at times.
  4. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

but i think that was his point... they gush over some people for no reason and for other people they tell them, "you stink, you look like pinocchio chasing jimmeny cricket, it's time for you to go home" with no feedback.
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Honestly, both their positive and negative feedback is usually pretty worthless in my opinion. I imagine the blame in that regard rests a good bit on the show's producers. I have no trouble believing that they think that the empty gushing and the histrionic slagging is what the audience wants to hear.

And as for who gets which, I have no trouble believing it's often as much about trying to manipulate the voting audience as anything else. I actually don't think the voting is rigged per se (otherwise blatant manipulation like the winner-take-all dance last season to keep Chelsea from going home wouldn't be necessary).
  6. I agree. I think Bruno is the worst culprit, but for some reason he's been brutal with Chaz. I can see on the judges faces that they sometimes strugled to find something positive to say about some performances.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I agree with fasc--usually, Len is the most useful, Bruno is 50-50 (note how when he jumped in to defuse the confrontation after Tom called time out, he gave Hope a quiet, reasoned critique) and Carrie Anne needs to adjust her meds or something as apparently everything makes her cry. And they are FAR more likely to gush over something that doesn't deserve it than really slam something for being bad (and fair enough, not only would that be cruel if they're TOO harsh they wind up with a combination of pity voters and vote-for-the-worsts.) For them to be brutally "You stink at this completely" the person usually has to be exceptionally bad, a la Michael Bolton or Master P (where they really must have HAD to lowball him.)

And it does reach a point where they have to tell someone "You *are* the worst of those remaining and it might be time for you to go." Not everyone gets to make the finals, and the last three are usually at least one really good dancer, one "most improved" and either another good dancer or a combination of the two.

It's funny Derek was quoted in the Maks-makes-excues article as one of the "hidden gems" from this week was the look on Derek's face in the background as he says it--not so much offended as "I can't believe he just said that." And while he's right, emotions are high, and while Maks may say he meant it was all the pros, that still came out sounding really like a slap to the other pros and the celebs.
  8. davedove

davedove Active Member

It just seems to me that more and more the judges are fitting into three roles. In fact, it really seems like the producers are pushing them to these extremes:

Len is the grumpy old man who only likes things a certain way.
    Bruno is the over the top wild man.
    Carrie Ann is the over-emotional one.
  9. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

What really irks me is the disparity between what the judges say and how they score. Even when all of them agree the dance had flaws they will score 7s, 8s, and 9s. Apparently later in the season they are instructed to give high scores no matter what they think of the dance.
  10. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Here's an illustration of Maks' point. Just the week before, Nancy and Tristan danced a rumba. She wore heels instead, but to my eye it was still just as loaded with heel leads as Hope's rumba. Len called the dance simple and effective. Bruno was glowing over it. And she got a 22, as compared with Hope's 20 in a later week. (Later weeks tend to score higher, but it was just the next week, so...) Nobody said boo about Nancy using toe leads or pointing her feet.
  11. danceronice

Thing is, I didn't notice them (I'd have to watch it to see if you're even right), whereas I couldn't NOT notice them with Hope--she slammed onto her heel every step. Also, her upper body was easily two points sloppier than Nancy's--I think it's not even technique but the "I-give-up" attitude coming through in how she just kind of flopped her arms, complete with an "I can't believe I'm doing this" expression (and not in a good way. I seriously kept getting a Nancy Kerrigan "corniest thing I've ever done" vibe all night.)

As for them giving 7-8-9s, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale Scroll down to the entry for TV shows. Breaking out a four is cause for mass boos, and as Tom said with Michael Bolton, "We have a THREE?"
  12. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

But did you see Maks on Good Morning America on Wednesday morning? He slammed Derek by name. along with refusing to apologize for anything. It's not like he woke up the next morning feeling contrite. If anything, he was more "arrogant", I don't know if that's the right word, but he went even further than he had on Tuesday's show and he ended by saying there is no way he can lose. Is he so important to the show that they need to have him back nesxt season? What do you think?

13. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

The stink he made gets him on Good Morning America, and not the other stars. When he says he can't lose, what he's saying is a variant of the idea that any publicity is good publicity. Also, note that the little fracas makes news for the show (or an excuse to treat it as news for the networks affiliated news teams). I doubt the producers are upset with him for that.

And his comment about Derek wasn't really a slam at Derek. Basically, all he said is that Derek gets ringer after ringer on the show -- Nicole, then Jennifer Gray, now Rikki Lake, and in that position it's easy to think that the judges are kind. Is there anyone who follows the show who hasn't noticed this?
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think JR has a very fine chance of beating Ricky
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, Derek gets star after star who have some previous dance experience and a potential fan voting block. In other words, he gets the cream of the crop, a star with a high likelihood of winning going into it.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Agreed. Go JR!
  17. danceronice

I'd be the first to agree, but I'm not sure Ricki qualifies (and definitely not the degree of Nicole, where the the imbalance was ridiculous to the point of it being rigged. I still can't believe no one called Carrie Anne out this season for using "*****cat Doll" as a CRITICISM.) Really, I'd like to ask Maks, who was SO excited about dancing with Hope before the season started (and said as much before the pairings were announced and she was confirmed for the show), if he'd been presented with a choice of Ricki (actress pushing 'middle age' by entertainment standards, on the fuller-figured side and self-conscious about it, ie not unlike Kirstie without quite as much savoir faire, not really a 'current' hosuehold name) or Hope (young, attractive, super-fit athlete from a popular sport), which would he have picked?

Of course the real irony is Derek has thrown an on-camera tantrum about the judging, too (though in the confession cam, not to the judges' face.) Didn't go over at all well. And of course he limited it to the judging (and by extention producers) being full of it (also unreasonably in that case, Shannon wasn't really much better than Hope) without making a statement that came off as devaluing his fellow pros.
  18. davedove

davedove Active Member

I absolutely agree. JR has the war hero benefit, the sympathy vote for his injuries, his incredibly positive attitude and hence likability, and to top it all off is a great dancer. Not to mention Karina seems to have a much sweeter attitude this season.

I believe that, unless he does something to screw up, JR could very easily take the win.
  19. Beto

Beto Active Member

Agreed. He's got it all. I just hope he can continue to build and improve his way to the finale as he's off to an amazing start.
  20. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

And I see JR is on the cover of this week's People magazine -- staring out from every newsstand. That can't hurt.