Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Well, Ricki has previous dance experience from Hairspray, so the producers knew going in she would have some potential. Also, Ricki has a lot of name recognition from her talk shows, films and other projects. At least, I knew immediately who she was, more so than the other stars who have been on the show previously. There's a lot of value name recognition for a potential voting block, even if she isn't the most current thing right now. From my point of view, Ricki Lake comes across as more likeable that perhaps some of the other stars, aside from the clip of her wanting to quit. Also, while Ricki is about 43 and wasn't in the greatest of shape going in, Ricki has been known to slim down before. So again, the producers could assume she would slim down and transform, which she has. I applaud her results. That's one of the reasons I liked Kristie Alley so much from the previous searson; she did the same thing.

So while we don't know who Derek would have picked given his choice, I don't think he got a bad deal here.

2. hardt

hardt New Member

Of all the men pros, I like watching Maks dance the most. Having said that, after watching the shows these past few years, I'm beginning to dislike him because of his arrogance & his abusive teaching style. Now I'm beginning to doubt his intelligence. I can't believe he said something to the effect that we're all busting our buns out here and you guys (the judges) make " these little judgemental comments"! Duh, ... isn't that what they are supposed to do?!! :confused:

3. Griffico

Griffico Member

I think it has more to do with the little side remarks that kind of cross the line from 'judging' to 'insulting.' Len coming out and saying that Hope wasn't committed, or Bruno calling Chaz things like an Ewok or a cute little penguin, those are things that aren't particularly constructive. As much as I might agree at times, there's no real value in telling the celebrities they stink without providing specifics.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Conversely, Len was the one telling Hope she shouldn't have been in the bottom and she could go all the way, with absolutely zero evidence to that effect in her dancing (especially as it was already pretty clear the natural talent JR and Ricki, ringer or not--I'm really not sure I'd dump her with Jennifer Grey, even, in terms of prior experience, but for the sake of argument say midway between Jennifer and Kirstie as far as appeal and potential go--were the ones to beat). It's really not a good idea to tell someone they can be great at something when the best they could really hope for is mediocre.

Also, for a good subset of the viewers, "Jennifer Grey" meant "Dirty Dancing", while "Ricki Lake" brings up "talk show host with weight issues who isn't Oprah", not Hairpray (because now that's the new film/B'way) So even in terms of THINKING ringer, I don't think she had as much going for her at the outset. Yeah, I think they knew she wasn't a total clunker when they gave her to Derek, but I don't know that I am as convinced she had a huge dance advantage. She's not the worst offender in Derek's history. (Still unable to believe no one said anything when Carrie Anne said "P.C. Doll" as a criticism...)

And Derek might not have gone for Hope OR Ricki if given a choice, but apparently Maks actively campaigned to get Hope on the show. Which makes me wonder if he's especially frustrated as it has NOT worked out how he expected. And if he really specifically tried to get her, with the expectation they'd be partnered (did he know her from some other show, IIRC) then he CAN'T lay this entirely at the feet of the producers.

This is really not the season for him to be complaining about this.

5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

...What???? Where did you hear this???

6. hardt

hardt New Member

Ok, my bad! After reading the posts after mine, I realized my mistake. I took the word "judgemental" at face value and thought it only meant the act of judging. Of course, in recent times, it mostly means judging with a bias or attitude. Yes, on reflection, the judges often go overboard and say mean-spirited things. I suspect mostly for shock value and to bolster ratings. The sign of the times, I suppose...

7. kckc

kckc Active Member

Can't believe I'm the first to say...what a bunch of crappy songs! I'm no Nancy Grace fan but she definitely got the worst of a really bad batch of music. The Devil Went Down to Georgia? Really? Tristan was quite funny with her though..."I'm trying to finish a sentence" "See how fun that was?" Words fail me with Maks and Hope. I wish (and they probably do too) that they could go home but Nancys score was so low, who knows if that can be overcome by the fans.

8. danceronice

I noticed Karina and Kym's costumers went with the "Mean Girls" definition of a Halloween costume as lingerie with animal ears, and just left off the animal ears.

I felt bad for Nancy--how was she supposed to keep up with that? And I couldn't believe they thought k-Rob was equal to JR, and better than David. (I was SHOCKED at David giving pretty good tango advice for Team Tango. Guy is apparently a goofoff, but he pays attention.) And the team scoring was ridiculous. JR must be running away with viewer votes. Though k-Rob gets points from me for his expression watching Hope and Maks--he seriously looked like "Um...should we be stepping in? Did he just hit a girl? You don't hit girls...is there a hotline we should be calling?" I can't blame him, either, I would have been uncomfortable, too.

9. Ditto! The music was the worst of the season. And yes, Nancy got the worst of bad songs! Who can dance jive to that? I will never understand why in ballroom dancing dancers are given music that does not match the dance at all. There is so much matching music out there to choose from...

I really think that the problem in the Hope-Max relationship is Max. Did you see how aggressive and physically rough he was with her in the rehearsals? I couldn't believe it and she could not, either. She was close to tears. I would have been, too. I would not let him treat me like that! When she danced with the other pro, she was relaxed and had fun, probably for the first time. I feel sorry for her and I am sick and tired of Max and his arrogance.

I hope Nancy goes home this week. I never enjoy her dancing, it was not only because of the music this week.

10. That I could not believe, either (i. e. Rob scoring equal to JR). I find David a very likeable guy and I laughed when he tried to share what he had been taught.

11. kckc

kckc Active Member

You may be right about JR- the judges are certainly going out of their way to bring him down. And all I could think of when Karina was dancing was "boy, they certainly aren't going to be able to sell THAT costume"

12. Griffico

Griffico Member

What did you expect for costumes? Kym was supposed to be a Magician's assistant, and in my opinion she pretty much looked the part. Karina's body suit (also my opinion) looked like a nifty take on a cross between the traditional skeleton costume and a dance leotard, though I probably could have done without the sheet-resembling thing.

Agreed on the music... I mean, I realize it's hard to come up with good Halloween dance music, but come on. Devil Went Down to George didn't even come close to resembling jive music. I also thought Hope and JR got hamstrung to a degree; I didn't think their songs (esp. Hope) or costumes (esp. JR) really helped them. I will say however that I thought Rob's kind of cooky frame was helped by the Addams family music and themeing.

I'm actually feeling bad for Hope at this point... she looked so happy dancing with the guy from the troupe, and then it seemed like her world came crashing down once Maks came in again. Maybe that's the director cutting the music, but she just doesn't seem to enjoy dancing with him.

I love Ricki at this point, but she's got a few quirks that still are bothersome... I feel like her paso shaping frame looked a bit too much like standard, and something funny happens when she's walking/running on her own. Some kind of weird bouncing?

Who do y'all have in your final predictions? I've got Ricki, JR, and... I don't know. Rob or David, depending on the night.

(Man, David cracked me up last night... is he high on life or something else?)

13. danceronice

Finals? JR and Ricki and anyone of the others (though I really, really hope it's not Hope.)

And Karina and Kym came off looking like showgirls in a bad way. The little garter on Kym's was just the crowning touch that took hers over the line into trashy.

14. davedove

davedove Active Member

I didn't think there was that much difference between the team dances, although I did like the Paso performance a little better. The individual performances weren't that much different, certainly not enough to praise team paso so much and tear down team tango. For instance, Rob's walks were just walks and NOT good Paso walks.

I did have to do a double take on Karina's costume, but like Bruno said, if all ghosts looked like that, maybe it wouldn't be so bad being haunted.:raisebro:

Nancy's music was awful and how JR and Karina managed anything resembling a tango from Ghostbusters was amazing.

I really liked Rob's tango. It seemed that performance suited him.

15. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I think Ricky is really good! I usually vote for Max, but did not like how he treated his partner last night. It looked like he was very physically aggressive with her. And so, Ricky is now my favorite.

16. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I disagree on Kym's costume - it was not that bad, and I would not be surprised to see it or something like it on the competition Rhythm or Latin floor. Karina's was just strange, I get that they were going for a skeleton, which would have worked better if they were not in frame all the time, but the fluffy cape thingy just looked odd.

On a brighter note, Rob and Cheryl looked like Gomez and Morticia Addams. Kudos to the costuming department on that one. Musically, I think the song would have been better as a foxtrot, but DWtS is not famous for their fantastic matching of songs to dances. Nevertheless, the real loser in the music game was Nancy. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"? Really? What possessed the producers to give them that song.

17. danceronice

I could see it minus the garter (which just looks Fredericks of Hollywood) and with more fringe (on the live chat comments at FSU it took a few of us a minute to even SEE the fringe.) At that point, just dress like a hooker and be done with it.

With Karina's, the 'wings' pretty much hid her arms and legs, and when you COULD see her body it looked like a Cirque du Soleil body suit. Also, another case of why I don't like feathers ever--she was molting.

I swear, Team Paso either used the same Evanescence song as Evan and Anna for their "Twilight" paso routine or they used the only other Evanescence song anyone remembers.

As for what possessed the producers, they CLEARLY want Maks and Hope around for the "controversy" (or maybe they're hoping she'll finally haul off and punch him back), and they desperately want to get rid of someone else and Nancy's the designated fall guy, as for some reason they seem really desperate to keep k-rob around.

I'm just hoping the lowballing and nitpicking JR is just to try and avoid a foregone conlusion because he's so far ahead in viewer votes, and ISN'T an attempt to do a 'shocking elimination' and get a Derek vs. Maks/Ricki vs. Hope final. They were really unnecessarily harsh on him.

18. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I liked Karina's dress, and thought it worked well for the tango. It was a little shocking out of hold, but in hold, the billowing fabric that gave you glimpses of the skeleton were great.

19. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Pretty much.

It was the same song.

I want Maks to take a freaking chill pill, and stay. When Hope was dancing with Ted Volynets, she was having fun, and looked good. Maks needs to calm down and have fun with the dance instead of being confrontational. Hope has potential, but so much of her time is spent fighting with Maks, and not learning the dance. Alternatively, I would like to see them really blow up, then have some kind of cathartic return (and would that make for good TV).

20. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL That would be because the fringe wasn't there at first. I thought perhaps I just wasn't paying attention, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Dj1dqlJSE