Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

After watching the dances at a time that is not dark-thirty in the morning, I would like to amend my criticism of Rob's quickstep. I realized that I was comparing Rob's leading to Maks's. As a couple, Hope and Maks looked better than Rob and Cheryl because Maks created the necessary movement and swing to make the quickstep look quicksteppy, and Rob was less successful on that front. For me to judge the celebrity partner of one pair against the professional of another is unfair to Rob (This makes me curious, are pro-am events split by gender?). I would call them equal, and attribute the looking like Hope was being pulled around for part of the dance and the space between her and Maks to poor synchronization between them, and ultimately to Maks not teaching how to keep connection in Standard. And, I actually felt like the bent over posture in Hope's jive worked somehow. She is not fantastic, and it is really a toss up between her and Rob for third place (unless Nancy's fanbase or Hope's hatedom mobilized last night), what I got last night from Hope was a clear statement not to discount her.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Usually, single heats are (unless a gentleman and his pro request they be combined with a ladies event in the appropriate age bracket so he'll have competition) and multi-dance events are usually combined. As a general rule, there would rarely be enough gentlemen to make up their own scholarship (and yes, it can be tough on the men, even though you are NOT supposed to be judging male student against the male pros, or female students against teh female pros, come to that--I would hate, if that were the case, to wind up dancing a Smooth scholarship against one of Larinda's students and I'm going to look like utter crap next to her.)

And scholarships are sometimes combined ages as well, and I have had a gentleman beat me (a Ladies A) who was not only dancing against women but against the A dancers when he competes B. Most of the judges are pretty fair about not comparing the students to the pros.

3. Griffico

Griffico Member

Just to throw out a devil's advocate opinion... I didn't like JR's jive as much as everyone else seems to have. I think for me part of it was that Karina didn't really put much chasse work into the choreography, but I also thought it looked very heavy. By contrast I was blown away with how light and powerful Hope looked, despite the shortcomings of other aspects of her dancing. It was a very backwards feeling from what I was expecting, to be sure.

All things said and done, based on last night there's a pretty clear top four (Sorry Tristan, I love ya but it's time). If we get the semifinal I hope it's going to be, I'm really excited for it. JR and Ricki are definite frontrunners, and I'm excited for the progress that the other two have made thus far, even if it took Hope a little longer than most to get into the groove.

4. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

:confused: hope's hatedom??? I think it is pretty clear she actually has a HUGE fan base considering she has stayed as long as she has when, prior to this week, she showed no improvement.

5. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

I have to agree. My scoring had JR at the bottom. I thought it was among his worst than among his best performances.

6. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I never said that she does not have a fan base. Hatedom was the wrong word, I guess what I was trying to get at was something to the effect of "not-a-fan-base".

7. danceronice

"Hatedom" is a pretty common term for it.

I'm actually crossing my fingers for a Shocking Elimination (tm) of someone. (Len's "it's midnight, no more hanging out with the cool kids" PO'd at least one person off she said her cats now have e-mail accounts and are voting.) Long as it's not JR, I'm good.

8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

results = *happy dance* :banana:

9. Griffico

Griffico Member

I can't recall being so torn about a semi in the past! Rob's been consistently improving, but Hope's bringing the HEAT finally :D

10. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I was very happy with last night's results.

11. TinyDancer109

im happy with the results too. but does that mean that Rob was in the bottom two or do we not know that?

I think Rob deserves the final over Hope. but let's wait until next week to make sure.

12. danceronice

They said "Not necessarily the bottom two." Which means he might or might not be (I would guess not--there are way too many Kardashian fans.)

I'd like to see hope gone, but I'm in "as long as JR wins" voting mode now.

And I love Dance Center. (I could do without shirtless Len, but....) I'm always so glad when it's Dance Center time.

13. TinyDancer109

ah, thanks, i didnt get to watch the actual show last night (i DVR'd it), so i only know the results.

but agreed, i love dance center!!!

14. danceronice

I just saw Kenny Mayne on the weekend, covering the Breeders Cup, and while he obviously wasn't as deadpan over-the-top as he is on Dance Center, he definitely has a sense of humor and isn't afraid to admit when he's not an expert on the sport he's covering. (Neither he nor Hank did very well in the handicapping, but honestly neither did a lot of professional handicappers, either...)

15. bclure

bclure Member

I really didn't like Hope until this week when she admitted what most of us already knew about her.. "I am out of my element and scared".. Good job Hope!

16. Keithers

Keithers New Member

I'm pretty sure that Hope said from the outset that she's not a dancer -- "I can't even walk in heels."

(Not arguing with your likes and dislikes.)

17. danceronice

There's a difference between admitting you can't do something and admitting it scares you to try. Officially, the odd ringer aside, no one who comes into the show is a dancer. But some are more intimidated by the entire concept than others.

18. Griffico

Griffico Member

Mkay... I know my finalists. The Hope Solo honeymoon is over.

In other news: What a step up week for Rob! I was impressed by how clean his cha cha footwork was.

Is it just me or does Ricki operate on Barbie legs? It just seems like she refuses to bend her knees past a shallow angle, and that was very apparent in all the dances last night. Still enjoyed her stuff though.

I hope JR feels better next week...

19. davedove

davedove Active Member

Yeah, he must have been in some real pain, because he just wasn't his normal happy self last night. He just seemed upset at himself, his injury, or something.

20. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I thought last night was close! I wonder who will be going home.