Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

she certainly could have had more pep in her step, but I would rather see a simple thing that can be identified as a jive... pretty sure I never saw a pointed toe or straight knee on the others...regardless of what Derek was doing

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like jive if you're shuffling and standing. I'll take JR's, where the body shaping might be more lindy but there are definite active flicks (and basic triple steps, come to that) over standing around doing single-time swing while the pro showboats. She shouldn't have been ahead of JR OR Chynna, who had just as much jive action as Ricki. But the overscoring of Derek continues (and it's not helping with the non-dancing audience, at least as FSU, where the non-dancing viewers are really sick of him. I can see he's good, but that doesn't make him a good teacher.)

3. fascination

well, I was pretty clear in previous posts that JR did the best job...that said, there is alot more to good technique than how much energy one has...certainly, it would have been far better had she done that as well... but I appreciated that her legs weren't a nightmare, unlike many of the others...I don't particularly care about the whole Derek issue

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

yeah, big dittoes, and nor do I care what figure skaters think about the pros, so it would be really great if those repeated comments and snarky words were eliminated here.

I personally thought Ricki's jive cheated a bit by sneaking in some single-timing where it should be triple, but heck I've done the same thing when I couldn't keep up with the music. That said, she has surpassed my initial expectations of her, regardless of who she's dancing with. I'm impressed.
    David's jive looked so off the music because he seemed to be frantically trying to get his steps in no matter what. Poor guy. Kinda cruel to throw Viennese and Jive at them so soon. Some people's brains and bodies just don't move that fast when first learning to dance.
    Chaz's quickstep didn't seem that much slower than Nancy's, and either her topline is really bad or her pro was literally carrying her - hard to tell (and maybe that's how her bosoms oozed out?). I was too distracted to look at her footwork.
    Carson had fleeting moments of what looked like nice simple quickstep. I hope he sticks around long enough to "get it" and really dance instead of being a spaz.
    Hope... clearly she's fit enough to be up to this challenge but maybe her muscle memory from her other training is crossing wires with what needs to happen in ballroom. But I suppose with less than a week to learn these new dances, you gotta pick your battles and be satisfied with a reasonable facsimile rather than spent an inordinate amount of time on heel-toe vs. ball-flat.

5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i feel bad that carson and anna got some pretty crappy music. i know he isnt the best technical dancer, but he couldnt even work with the PERFORMANCE aspect with THAT music.

6. danceronice

I think Nancy's dresses haven't fit very well. They really don't seem to be supportive enough.

Straight knee in jive is nice, but not without the high knee before it on the accent. Otherwise it's just ECS at high speed. Ricki's just seemed extremely content-free, like someone took all the hard bits out and left in tricks that didn't require actually doing jive. Definitely unworthy of an encore and being the top score.

Did they do QS/Jive second week last time? Even though I get not wanting to do two dances in one week, I like when they had the double-elimination first week and had everyone do the dance (cha or waltz)

(And as for the figure-skater comment, Nikkitta, which is random as I haven't skated in a few years but I do dance, I'd suggest keeping YOUR opinions of other posters to yourself. No one died and made you a moderator, so you have no say over what gets discussed. As the NYT noted in their article, the pros are bigger stars than the celebrities now anyway. As for the skating fans on the other board I frequent, they're a lot better sample size than this board of what real viewers things, as each episode's thread is over a thousand posts. There's a much bigger chunk of the general viewing publilc on there and they're by and large sick of the blatant producer interference. Also there is much regret Val's off. Not his girl, just him.)

7. fascination

agree about the high score and the encore issue, would have preffered JR for that....

as to issues of moderation, um...yes, let's keep it civil

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I thought JR had the best performance last week.

I didn't think Ricki's jive was all that great to rate the top score and encore. She didn't have the knee action or other jive technique I thought she have. I wasn't impressed with Derek's choreography either.

I haven't been impressed with a lot of the pro's choreography so far. The tendency seems to have a big fluffy entrance; extravagent props; lots of shimmies, twirls and gimmicks in the middle to make up for a lack of real dance steps; and then a big fluffy finish. It dumbs down the dancing, so it speak, at least in my opinion. It's ok to make the dance fun, but let's have some real dancing, people.

I'm also less than impressed when a pro deliberately flouts the rules, for example Mark Ballas breaking hold in the middle of the quickstep.

9. danceronice

I am kind of hoping that at least was one reason Len gave Nancy a high score for QS that was about what it should be for her age and experience (ie okay for bronze)--closed hold, quick entrance/finish, no props. I don't mind when they use a chair, or start an AT at a cafe table or something, but some of these routines have gotten ridiculous with sets that wouldn't be out of place in a high-school theater production. Like Val and Elisabetta's first routine. Not only is it silly, it eats up a lot of time.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Weren't you all just sick of the whining by the celebrity-students? I wanted to shout at Elisabetta and Nancy when they refused to try what their pros wanted. i try as hard as I can every second of every lesson. They are so spoiled, and rude. Glad Elisabetta is out. Flabbergasted Nancy would get such a good score. Me, I loved JR. Period.And Hope for good attitude. By the way, follow-up article in today's New York Times that, uh-oh, DWTS' ratings dropped even further this second week and ABC not happy. Much as I complain, I would be sad if the show is cancelled.Even though Val is out, I am sure they will feature him as much as possible amytime there is a chance for pros to dance.
    I don't understand why people are upset with Derek. I have read the comments and don't get it. I think he is super talented, adorable and entertaining, and he tries to teach whomever he has as much as they let him.

11. danceronice

All Derek does is jump around and show off. Plus he usually gets people he doesn't have to teach much. Plus he gets massive amounts of praise from the judges even when it's not warranted. What seems to really hack a LOT of people I talk with off is it's often been at the expense of pros like Tony, Louis, Anna, and ESPECIALLY Maks, who's a huge favorite but has never won and never been handed an outright ringer. The season with Nicole, with the judges flat-out calling her the winner before the others even danced, pretty much capped it for a lot of people. Derek is clearly in with the producers--they obviously think he's the money-maker. That really gets on people's nerves.

I didn't really think Nancy was whining. It looked more like a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) moment. Like an "OMG what am I doing here I stink and I am never going to get this and everyone will think I stink" freeze-up. I didn't see Elisabetta's pre-dance segment, so I don't know if she was whining, she just wasn't very good and in front of the judges she looked sour. Nancy took critiques graciously (which doesn't surprise me as older contestants seem to.) And of course, Elisabetta has no fan base. Nancy has a huge show on another network, annoying as the rest of us might find it (and I don't even disagree with her necessarily, I think Casey Anthony's guilty, too, but yeesh, lady, the law is what it is) while Elisabetta is basically the girl who got dumped by George Clooney. I thought Val would carry her a little farther, but apparently not.

And I think Len scored Nancy high like it says upthread--to make a point they are getting too carried away with goofiness and props and ignoring what the dance is supposed to look like (in QS's case, in hold the entire time.)

12. fascination

I think all of the pros do whatever they can to make their students look as good as possible, including occasionally diverting attention to themselves...as to their merits as teachers, I doubt any of them will be worse for how far their students did or didn't get on this show

13. AStarDanced27

AStarDanced27 New Member

I have to agree with gingerbread; it makes me really angry to see the celebs shut down and refuse to try what their pro is suggesting. I think Nancy Grace's moment was related to being overwhelmed and frustrated, but she could have handled it with much more grace (pun sort of intended).

Yes, grueling practices that last for hours can be exhausting, mentally and physically, especially for people who have never danced before. But be grateful - you're getting the chance to work with an amazing professional dancer, who does this for a living and loves it. I would kill to have that kind of opportunity.

Totally going to put it out there that they should do a spin-off where they pick college students instead of celebrities to partner with pros. Partially for my own selfish reasons, and partially because I think it'd be quite entertaining.

14. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Yay for showing Hope at my town's soccer field!!! I so wish I had gone to the game.

15. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

The other figure skater here wants to know what the means exactly...

16. Casey

Casey Member

I am not sure why people keep bashing Elisabetta for just being George Clooney's ex. She has a career in Italy that is certainly as good as Brooke Burke's is here. She was not as good a dancer as Brooke was, true. And I haven't seen a lot of the rehearsal clips, so it's hard to know when she and Val got into such a negative place with each other. But I'm not sure we can judge based on the few clips we have been shown. I know, for example, that my teacher would never have come off with that kind of vibe with her.

17. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Not taking sides here, but I think that it was in reference to DOI's relaying what people at FSU were saying about DWTS rather than a jab at people on this board who also figure skate.

18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Correct, I don't care if FSU hates Derek, or XYZ hates another pro. IMO it's not relevant here. If you are a ballroom dancer and a figure skater and happen to hate Derek, it's still not really necessary to mention that either. Saying "Pro B's waltz was rather disappointing; the hold and footwork was horrible" is not the same as "Pro B and his partner always get higher marks and it's not fair because I really hate him and so does FSU and XYZ".
    Whatever. Back to lurking :cool:
    My main enjoyment is seeing people who have never experienced ballroom fall in love with it. I can really live without the other drama.

19. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Stop watching. (Or DVR it and fast forward to just the dancing.)

20. danceronice

Easily solved with the ignore list, which that poster's now on. Such a useful feature.

And I skip half the "entertainment" (ie filler) segments and just watch the dancing and the judges most nights. Though results night that is difficult. (The "Cribz" segment was rather painful...)