Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I always thought it was great for the results shows. I could blast through those in 15 minutes, easy, and not feel like I missed anything. Alas, I cancelled my directv, figuring that was money that could be better spent on dancing, so I no longer have a dvr. It makes watching the show take a whole lot longer. ;)

And fwiw, I don't have a thing to do with figure skating (in fact, I'd been confusedly parsing FSU as Florida State University), and I quite agree with you on Derrick. He still annoys me less than Mark though.

2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

OT, I didn't even realize you could put posters on an ignore list.... that makes things interesting.

Sorry for hijacking, mods.

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

abc.com

You can fast forward there as well and the commercials seem to be limited.

Not sure about hulu.com - it's been awhile...

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't have DVR, but I mentally tune out (or play my own music LOUD.) Or channel surf. Of course the easiest solution of all is the 8pm hour on Tuesdays--in a contest of DWTS versus NCIS? No contest at all. NCIS wins.

5. shimkirina

shimkirina New Member

Nice! I like NCIS too :)

6. RickRS

RickRS Member

I had no idea what was going on at that time and to me it was like, "What? Half the audience hates Nancy to the point they won't clap?" Later I hear about the nip-slip and still didn't make that connection to the stoned face audience. So thanks for clearing that up.

7. RickRS

RickRS Member

Maybe just you (as to the level of dance). My recollection of the past seasons is we've alway had a lot of bad dancing for the first two weeks. When we get to the halfway mark, the worst dancers are gone and the "stars" have improved some more.

8. Griffico

Griffico Member

Agreed! I think there's a bit more talent this season than there has been (especially the last two seasons), and I'm really excited to see what JR and Chynna can do. Just in my opinion, I think JR has the potential to be the best male celebrity ever on the show...

9. Griffico

Griffico Member

Thoughts on last night:

The 'stories' thing is an easy way to introduce Rumba as a dance, but once you set up stories like that it's really hard to tell somebody they didn't live up to their own life's most inspirational moment.

Hope/Maks - Hope, you need to learn how to close your legs dearie. It was kind of awkward again, but not over the top wrong I guess.

Ricki/Derek - I thought she did a good job, but also got a bit overrated. No way was this better than Chynna's.

Kristin/Mark - Mark's back in my doghouse for choreography... What the heck kind of samba was that?

Chynna/Tony - Loved it, and was surprised at how well she moved. I was hoping for a little more hip action though..

Nancy/Tristan - Looked like Tristan was dragging around a lump of clay, but it wasn't awful I guess.

David A/Kym - I can't get a read on this guy. I kind of like him, kind of don't. He appears to be trying really hard, so I'll certainly give him credit for that.

Rob/Cheryl - It was an impressive effort in basic foxtrot, though they spent far too much time diddling around on the stairs.

JR Martinez/Karina - I was once again impressed with his musicality and lines, but I'm not a fan of all the posing. Too much standing around for his ability...

Carson/Anna - I'm not sure I've ever seen a dance so bipolar... it was kind of crisp on the legs, but fantastically wacky up top (and sometimes completely the other way around, yet somehow it kind of worked. I'm still not sure how he managed to dip himself!

Chaz/Lacey - The judges need to stop giving him softball comments. He's got a background nobody wants to offend and bum knees, but that can't be an excuse for showing so little improvement (especially in the upper body). He's already defeated Val and Elisabetta, and if he goes on again tonight he'll be beating somebody who doesn't deserve to go home yet.

10. danceronice

I thought Ricki had the best rumba legs/feet, at least of the women, but she lacked the stretch through the body (NOT the back, Bruno) as much as anyone else they called on it, yet the judges let it slide.

I thought JR was clearly best. Excellent lines and he danced head to toe.

Nancy had a nice bronze routine. Not flashy, but appropriate for her age and (true) skill level.

Chaz was awful. I appreciate he's trying, but he just isn't any good. However, his "fans" and people who want to make a sociopolitical point will keep voting for him.

Hope...Maks isn't getting that mirror ball this time. She really needs to learn to relax. And over on his blog for ABC Louis van Amstel called it, with apologies, "a bit butch." It was uncomfortable to watch.

Kristen: what a joke of a 'special memory.' I realize not everyone can have a truly tragic or joyful memory (and let's face it, as far as having a good story goes, the minute JR's began "I was driving a Humvee in Iraq" he won that contest) but gee, what a tragedy, school or celebrity. And it's not street dancing during Carinvale, it's ballroom samba. Do it.

David: What on earth were those scores for? He should be in the bottom with Chaz. That was him standing around while Kym spun really fast.

Chynna: I was holding my breath because she seemed so nervous, but I had to wonder if it's distracting trying to dance while the band tackles YOUR song. If she just lets the nerves go she would do so, so well...

Rob: Okay, my surprise of the night! I was thoroughly charmed. Like Nancy, it wasn't really any more than it really should be (a nice bronze-quality routine) and yet he was engaging, appealing, and clearly trying. I loathe the Kardashians and their reality-tv empire but I found him very appealing last night.

Carson: His legs were decent, his topline is TERRIBLE, and he keeps doing odd things with his hands (like he keeps forgetting they're attached or something)...but I don't care, he's so much fun. I was thoroughly entertained. He is clearly just having FUN, which I think makes the difference between him and David and Chaz, whom I think are the other weakest links (with Nancy, like Carson, enjoying herself and putting herself up with him.) David and Chaz do not look happy, they look nervous, stresed, etc. Nancy looks like she's having a good time, and Carson is just bringing the party! Same thing happened with Rob last night, none of them are the class of the field but those three seemed really glad to be out there. David and Chaz seemed uncomfortable.

11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i looooove carson!!!!! <3

And as much as i truly dislike Kim Kardashian, i think i'm falling for her brother!! =P

12. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I must say I am very shocked that Kristin went home last night. I didn't think she was to be in the running for the finals or anything, but honestly, I thought Hope was toast (and probably should have been). I'm not sorry that Maks is still around though. I didn't particularly like Kristin's dancing, but I thought there were others that were much worse.

Anyhow, I'm liking Chyna, JR, and Ricki for the finals based on what I've seen so far. And I'm really hoping that Tony gets his first mirror ball this season.

13. danceronice

I know I'm not the only person (we basically liveblog it on FSU with running commentary posts) who just completely forgot Kristen was there last night, which is usually IME a bad sign for someone vote-wise--if I totally forget they're even on the show, that usually means other voters aren't remembering them either. (Seriously, someone posted "I forgot about Kristen" and my first thought was "Kristen who?")

14. kurisutina

kurisutina New Member

Who else was really excited when Val and Daria performed last night? Samba was an odd choice for the song but they totally rocked it! I almost didn't recognize Daria with her hair loose--she looked absolutely stunning. It's really such a pity that they aren't competing together anymore... Seeing them dance at Nationals up close as a spectator this past year was really inspiring. I was a bit confused at first when they were introduced as the "U.S. Latin champions" but I suppose most wouldn't have known the difference between pro and amateur.

That aside, I'm not really surprised to see Kristen go home, despite the fact that she wasn't the worst dancer. Like someone else mentioned, fairly forgettable, and the least relatable for Monday's theme. As a fan, I'm happy that Maks and Hope made it to the next round, though she will need to step it up a lot.

15. davedove

davedove Active Member

You're making the mistake of thinking it's about the dancing. It's all about the fan base and in the first few weeks, if you don't have the fan base, you go home. If you make it through those first weeks, then it becomes more about the dancing, but fan base still counts for a lot.

16. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

Anna is brilliant. She led Carson through a majority of that tango, and I was smiling/laughing (in an entertained sort of way) the whole time. Props to Carson for being a good follow.

17. danceronice

Fan base + entertainment value. I wouldn't say I'm part of Carson's fan base but he just cracks me up. Likewise I was voting for Kyle both for dancing and because he just was a pleasure to watch. I've never seen a thing he's done acting-wise as I'm not hte Disney Channel demo. If someone comes on without a huge fan base but people enjoy them, they vote.

18. davedove

davedove Active Member

Very true, likability is a big factor, all the way through the competition. Although I don't vote for these things, I was rooting for Kyle the whole time because he was fun to watch and did a good job.

19. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

How does one access Louis's blog?

20. Beto

Beto Active Member