Dancing with the Stars Season 13 Fall Cast

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Aug 30, 2011.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Thank you.

2. Could the ballroom dancers here please explain what justified 2x10 for Ricky compared to only 9/9/8 for JR? I thought that JR was so much better than the other stars who got 8s. Ricky looked good but was she really so much better than everybody else?

My favorite was JR and I think Carson is always hilarious! He makes me laugh! I hope he will stay for a while because of his entertainment factor.

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Frankly I thought the evening was doomed as soon as they awarded "7"s to Chynna. She bombed. It was painful to see - you could tell as she was dancing that she knew she blew it - but it was not worthy of the scores she received, so I couldn't help but wonder if the subsequent scores were inflated because of it. I did not feel Ricki's dance was perfect, but it was very good. It looked like there was too much space between her and Derek at times, particularly in promenade, and I'm not sure she's 100% in control all the time. Derek seems to overpower her. For JR, the major thing that stood out to me was his hand styling. It didn't match the rest of his fluid body movement. But my goodness, that was a lovely flowing foxtrot, and that ain't easy. So, Ricki and JR were pretty evenly matched IMO, but I don't feel either of them deserved to see the "10" paddles just yet. Relative to Chynna, however, I can understand scoring a "10".

4. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

They are setting this up for a finale between Rikki and JR, with JR winning it. Her overinflated scores now will later lead to "disappointing" results, as JR pulls ahead. Keeping JR in second or third at this point is actually a good thing for him. The only other one with a chance is Hope, but I wouldn't count on it unless she dramatically improves.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The only thing that could justify a ten is rewarding DEREK for choreographing to a tricky piece of music, not Ricki's dancing which was only okay. (And Psycho's not meant for dance. That was a rough piece to give anyone, that and the utterly undanceable Raiders March/Indiana Jones theme.)

JR's marks were toal BS--Carrie Anne essentially said there was no difference between his performance and Rob's. Her judging was outright insane on most people and Len's was wonky at times as well (I don't remember who it was but at one point CA and Len were both gushing and BRUNO of all people was the voice of reason, though apparently that was more his thing on SCD anyway and he plays up the wackiness for DWTS.)

Another WTFery was Carson (who wasn't great technically but once again was the best showman of the night) being tied with Chynna, who was absurdly overscored. She choked worse than I've seen real-life newcomer competitors ever choke and basically didn't complete her dance, and that got 7s? In Carrie Anne's mind that was only one point worse than JR?

I have to assume (going by the BS scores and the busy signals) that JR has a HUGE lead in the phone-in votes and they don't want to give him a runaway. I'd guess Carson has much bigger numbers, too, and they would rather keep Hope around (they were certainly peeved about loosing Reality Girl, whose name I can't be bothered to remember at this point so they apparently really want to hang on to a young hot female) than Carson or Nancy and only want Chaz for the "controversy" (which by this point is a nonissue) and his mother.

6. Thanks, danceronice and all others who have responded to my question. Although I cannot judge the technique of ballroom dances, I thought that JR looked very good in his foxtrott, he has nice lines, a great feel for the music and always looks elegant.

I haven't voted for ages, but now I "digged" for my user credentials for the abc site so that I can vote for JR!

7. Griffico

Griffico Member

I agree that JR's Foxtrot was under-scored, but I can sort of see where Carrie-Ann was coming from with the lack of entertainment. She obviously doesn't just look at technique and appears to not have any idea how hard that dance is to do. Between that and the lift (hooray for lift police.. oy) it makes sense that she would give him the scores she did.

Ricki on the other hand was gifted with some intense-looking choreography to go with a powerful song, and she did a pretty good job with it, so I can see why she got the highest marks. Still, it does all seem a bit over-inflated... Sabrina Bryan is the only other contestant I can think of who had better scores this early on.

Can we (and by 'we' I mean the judges) please stop sugarcoating Chaz's dancing? There was definite improvement, but it still wasn't anywhere close to anybody else's..

8. Griffico

Griffico Member

Remember she is also the lift police... gotta go after those unsightly lifts!

9. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I was happy to see Cher supporting her son last night

10. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

There was no lift. I remember commenting during the dance that Karina was keeping that foot nailed to the floor this time.

I loved JRs foxtrot, and was kind of meh on Ricki's tango, although I will agree that that was very difficult music.

11. TAK

TAK Member

I'm not sure I thought Ricki was 2 points better than JR, but I do think they were about even, and I was pretty impressed by both of them. To me, Ricki looks like a pretty competent ballroom dancer, not just someone whose pro is carrying her around, which is unusual on this show. Her technique appears to be decent and her movement across the floor is better than most of the other contestants'. So, I do feel like I "get" the enthusiasm about her. Like Len, I would have given both her and JR 9's.

12. danceronice

I think Derek and Kym should have a chat with the music people--Derek made it work, with a reverse-lit scrim/shadow puppet thing, but David's "Indy" number....yeah. Also if I were in Nancy's shoes I would have said "If I have to dance to a Queen song from a semi-obscure SF movie, can't it be "Princes of the Universe" from Highlander?"

And I agree, I think they need to stop propping Chaz up. I feel for the guy but he's not even up there with Carson and Chynna (and Carson at least is a pleasure to watch, no technik or not.)

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me, JR and Ricky are the only two to watch...I have no clue what carrie ann was drinking wrt her comments on his foxtrot...I thought carson was adorable and that Hope, given all of her advantages better step it up or I'd be getting rid of her for squandering the advantages that she should have and I was glad that len ripped her a new one on that..and I hope that, now that cher has made an appearance (and a rather sad puffy plasticized one at that....which is a thought I have been having about kim lately as well, btw :( , unless I was just imagining it in my tequila induced post lesson exhaustion)...anyhow, now that cher has made her apprearance, it is time for chaz to go

14. danceronice

I wish the voters got your memo, fasc. Was not surprised or disappointed with the choice to go tonight but all three who were "in jeopardy" have been better overall than Chaz. Carson's no great technician either but at least I find him fun to watch and he's clearly loving every minute.

15. davedove

davedove Active Member

I wasn't surprised Chynna went home either; she had a horrible week. That's one reason I don't like the elimination format. She was actually a fair dancer and I would have liked to see what she could do. Of course, I have to say that to me, she just didn't exude a likability; she always seemed cool and reserved, no personality.

And yeah, Chaz needs to go. I agree with what a local radio personality said around here: it's no longer Dancing with the Stars, it's Dancing with a Platform.

16. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

cant believe Chaz wasnt even in the bottom 2!!! people - it's a DANCE contest!! no need to be politically correct!

17. TinyDancer109

so i asked myself why is it that, for me, it is ok for Carson to stay and Chaz must go..

I decided that it's in the essence of dance. Chaz was ok, considering everything, in the beginning - but now i really dont enjoy watching him - hes forgettable, and, at times, difficult to watch.

Carson, on the other hand, technique or not, is an absolute joy to watch. You can SEE the joy exuding from him, the joy in his soul, and in turn brings out the joy in me. Isn't that, essentially, what dance is about??

18. danceronice

That's why I'm okay with Carson staying and think he should be scored well above Chaz. I'm also fine with Nancy (I can identify with her, plus, this is ballroom and I'm nepostistically voting for the pro I know), and really even Rob or David over Chaz because while I don't enjoy any of them as much as Carson and all of them are clearly fighting for third (which Hope will probably get unless she does what Chynna did and completely chokes) they all seem to be happy to be there and like the experience. Chaz doesn't make me happy to watch and I didn't believe a word of "I feel great."

(And it has nothing to do with weight. No, he's not physically appealing to look at, but Kyle had a bit of pudge too a few seasons back and I was rooting for him for the win because he not only pulled off some technique, he was just so joyful to watch doing it.)

19. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

It's not, and really never has been totally a dance contest. It's equally about who can build support from the public. One of the better ways to build that support is by being a good dancer, but having a good story, or being attractive enough (or your pro) that people will want to see you in skimpy Latin costumes/shirtless is just as strong a way of getting votes. Spectacular dancing can save an unpopular celeb, but so can popular support save a mediocre dancer. Also, never discount schadenfreude as a motive.

20. TinyDancer109

IMO, at some point the lack of entertainment outweighs the biased support...

For example, as much as i like Hope because i am her soccer fan (biased support), if she doesnt get better soon i wont be rooting for her (lack of entertainment outweighing).

By the same logic, Chaz should NOT be there anymore.