Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

William Shatner?!? :shock: Ye gods! Although I have to admit he'd probably bring a campy kind of humor to the table. And he'd probably survive more than a few votes, even if his dancing was horrible. And based on his ... ahem ... recording career, it's clear the man has no shame, which is a darn good thing in a DWTS contestant, IMO. :lol:
  2. Griffico

Griffico Member

She was on the show a few years ago singing and said she'd want to do it if she could... I'm always up for seeing who can bring something to the table! I'm not sure I can remember them ever covering an artist's own song for their dance, for what it's worth.

Oh, and there's this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxtdwBthddg

Some of them were dancers in the past.. who knows, they might actually be kinda good and leave us with all sorts of conflicted feelings :) Besides, then the kids would inevitably have a chance to come in and give 'critiques.'

If the producers were feeling really cruel, they'd put Louis Van Amstel with one of them. He has been vocal on twitter about his opposition to Abby Lee's style. Then again, I imagine most would be...
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Last season, what's-her-name Tony's girl. Chynna? I think half her problem with their sob-story week number was trying to dance while the singers slaughtered a song she wrote and performed specifically from a deep emotional place. Plus she undoubtedly KNEW that song really well

See, I don't have a problem with Abby (and I bet most of the Eastern European pros would at most just object to her drama-for-the-camera decisions, not the harshness. You kind of have to be hard on kids if you're pushing them for a serious competitive or professional career. You don't spend that kind of money on an activity for fun. I've even said myself in riding, George Morris can be an @$$ but I would listen to what he told me no matter how blunt he was. And he would have DESTROYED me when I was a riding kid.) It says a lot to me the GIRLS don't really object to Abby as much as to their mothers. (Brooke's apology and request to come back this week was INFINITELY more mature than anything any of the moms has ever done or said. No wonder Abby was basically "Sure." Side note: Looking at Brooke's weight and loss of flex I would guess that was more than two weeks off.)

But some of the moms need a beating. Nia's mom is a smug beyotch who thinks she's SO much better than everyone else, Chloe's mother is a shrill loon, Melissa is so passive-aggressive, what's-her-face Brooke and Paige's mother is the worst-case example of "If you hate Abby so much and feel you're so ill-used, WHY ARE YOU STILL THERE?" And new woman Jill is out of her mind. I cannot blame Abby in the least for yanking her chain.

Besides, put a Dance Mom on and you KNOW Cathy would drag her Candy Apples crowd in just to boo. (Now, THERE is an abusive teacher. CPS needs to take Vivi away. That poor child has no talent for it and CLEARLY zero interest in the whole business. Imagine getting adopted as a human puppet.)

And I have zero delusions William Shatner would be a great dancer, but he has developed both a real self-awareness of what a jerk he used to be (despite Nichele Nichols and the late Jimmy Doohan not accepting the apology) and he's demonstrated he's infinitely willing to poke fun at himself and his image. And there's a lovely slow-waltz arrangement of the Star Trek theme by Alexander Courage they could use...
  4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

slight side-track - where is this slow waltz arrangement of the star trek theme? Because I am an avowed trekkie...googling so far has just led me to the theme, unless i am missing something (which is probably the case).
  5. danceronice

Unfortunately I don't have any name/title on it--got it off the studio computer at Shag and the file name is just like "Track 3" or something with no album information. But I've even heard it at comps so it must be on an album somewhere. (And it may be BG/second melody from the Goldsmith theme...it's NOT either "main title" but it's like the...middle section.)

Come to think, it must be Goldsmith because thinking through it, it has the chord progression into the main theme, though it doesn't pick it up...so try "The Motion Picture"
  6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Thanks, I'll dig around... I really need to get working though. blech.
  7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think it's called "Ilia's Theme" if it's the one I'm thinking of....
  8. davedove

davedove Active Member

And you never can tell, he might be a decent dancer. Notice I said decent, not great.:p
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Rumor mill super busy as cast will be announced tomorrow. So far:

Melissa Gilbert with Maks
    Sherri Shepherd
    Jack Wagner
    Maria Menounos

Hum...
  10. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

They say Queen Latifah. Isn't she tall, like taller than most of the male pros?
  11. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

She's 5'10" The only male pro shorter than that is Mark, at 5'8". Maks is the tallest pro on DWTS, at 6'2". They have no problem pairing tall men with shorter ladies, so I don't know how concerned they would be about pairing an unusually tall lady with a man shorter than her
  12. danceronice

Unless Louis's not coming back there's at least one other. There is no way on God's green earth he's anywhere remotely near 5'10". (And frankly, while Tony and Maks are tall, I would bet money that Tristan for sure's only taller than 5'10" if he's giving his height while wearing Cuban heels--I have danced with him, I am 5'6" in my heels, he is not THAT much taller than me. And I would guess that Mark and Derek are stretching a bit, too.)
  13. ktia85

ktia85 Member

Season 14 Cast!

Melissa Gilbert with Maksim
    Jaleel White with Kym Johnson
    Martina Navratilova with Tony Dovolani
    Jack Wagner with Anna Trebunskaya
    Donald Driver with Peta Murgatroyd
    Roshon Fegan with Chelsie Hightower
    Maria Menounos with Derek Hough
    William Levy with Cheryl Burke
    Gavin DeGraw with Karina Smirnoff
    Gladys Knight with Tristan MacManus
    Kathrine Jenkins with Mark Ballas
    Sherri Shepard with Val Chmerkovskiy
  14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah, speaking as a 6'2" guy, it's *amazing* just how many "6'2"+" male professional dancers that I've met that I am *clearly* taller than.
  15. danceronice

Yeah, NP is ca. 6', and we have a pro who's 6'2 or so--it's funny just how tall people on TV think they are...
  16. Griffico

Griffico Member

No Louis again... If that list is accurate, Lacey's out too. I actually don't think I'll miss her though.. wasn't ever really a fan of her stuff, aside from the pro showcases.

I'm excited for Jaleel, and other than that I'm only really familiar with Donald and Gavin. I've only really seen the others in passing, if at all. As always I'll be curious to 'meet' some of the other celebs!
  17. ktia85

ktia85 Member

The list is from Good Morning America's website
  18. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I guess it's just me (as I am definitely not into pop culture) but I have absolutely no idea who most of those people are. And yes, there are always a few like that every season but this season seems worse. I know about 3 of them, the rest I couldn't tell you if they are actors/reality stars/athletes, etc. It should be interesting getting to know them. On the bright side, I will have no preconceived notions so it will be easier to let their dancing be what picks my favorites.

Nevertheless, excited about the new season :banana:
  19. Griffico

Griffico Member

I've at least heard of Melissa, Jaleel, Donald, Gavin, Gladys, Martina, Sherri and Maria enough to know what they're famous for, though I probably wouldn't know Maria if she hadn't recently lost her Super Bowl Bet ;)
  20. davedove

davedove Active Member

Yeah, I've heard of over half of them, but that's about it for many. I had hear of Maria before, but the Super Bowl bet does seem to stick in the mind right now.:raisebro: