Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I'm going to give my mirror ball trophy to Roshon & Chelsie, their freestyle was easily the dance of an otherwise slightly shoddy and rushed final.
    Am I the only one who got the impression they were trying to get it over with quickly?
    I disagree with the comment about fanbases, especially on this season.
    The judges mailed it in early, even earlier than on previous seasons, so this is all viewers and nothing but viewers.
    Most of whom will, let's face it, vote for their favorites even if they bellyflop on stage and can't get up.
    And most of whom don't know ballroom from Taco Bell.
    Evidently, Packer Nation is larger than the Latin Love Train and the absolutely only reason Katherine Jenkins was anywhere even near was the fact that she's a)gorgeous and b)a great dancer.
    To the overwhelming majority of Americans, 'Classical music' means the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zeppelin and other 60's drug rock.
    Maria Menounos may have had a bigger fan base (especially if you add in Derek's own) than Katherine did.
    If she'd had Derek, this season would have been over before it even started, and I can't help but wonder what might have been had she had Tony.
    Getting a bad feeling about this 'All-Star' stuff.

2. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

I've loved watching Katherine's dancing all season, although I think she peaked before it was all over. Donald, however, has been consistently improving from week to week. He's an incredibly strong dancer, paired with an incredibly strong pro. I'm glad for Peta; of all the pros she's by far my favorite to watch. I didn't care for William at all. I thought he was over-scored many times, although I'm surprised he didn't place higher given his popularity with the audience -- and the judges.

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Katherine got tripped up by exactly the two stumbling blocks I thought might be her downfall: Lack of fanbase and having to dance with Stan Laurel.
    Melissa Rycroft might have won her season had she been an actual celebrity - like an actress or something - with an actual fanbase.

4. davedove

davedove Active Member

:uplaugh:I love some of your descriptions of Mark.

It really does seem like he's more interested in getting the attention for himself than for his partners. Now, I understand a little of that is probably a good tactic - get people to watch the pro instead of the partner so fewer mistakes are noticed, but he really does seem to go overboard.

5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

FWIW It's his birthday...

6. kckc

kckc Active Member

"No really, I was examining his technique"

Thanks IndyLady- I am so going to use that :)

7. soulfire12

soulfire12 New Member

Lol.. lets see who gets to win this time :) Its gonna be interesting though... lots of graceful artists have joined in this time ;)

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone been to the Dancing with the Stars show at the Tropicana in Vegas?

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, just saw the show Monday night, and photographed it last night. Its a very good show. A bit much by way of DWTS TV tie-ins for my taste, but than again its a DWTS show and not just a ballroom dance show. They've done a very good job with the staging, choreography, etc., to make for a Vegas worthy show.

And, FAR BETTER than DWTS on TV, you get to watch the actual dancing live without all the gratuitous camera work! :banana:

Any specific questions?

P.S. For any who may be interested, Louis is joining the Vegas cast for a 10-day run starting tonight.

10. Steve Pastor

On line descriptions state that 3 volunteers from the audience a picked to learn a routine, and the results are judged by audience reaction. Did they do that, and do you think it's a set up using cast members?

(For instance famed danced Dean Collins took place in a "rigged" jitterbug contest in and LA nightclub in the early 40s, according to an article I found in Billboard. In one Cirque de Soleil show an "audience member" ended up about 50 feet above the stage.)

I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to Vegas this fall...

11. SDsalsaguy

Audience members are real. There were actually four chosen Monday night and three last night. The "routine" is a very, very, very short hip-hop type number (not ballroom), but the audience participation -- and judging based on audience applause -- is real.

12. Steve Pastor

Wow, you've gone twice?

13. SDsalsaguy

A friend of mine is in the show ;)