Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Any predictions?

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I know Melissa (not for what you think--she played Anna Sheridan, the wife (or IS she?) of Captain Sheridian/Bruce Boxleitner on Babylon 5), Gladys (DUH), and Martina. The rest...um. I may have heard names.

3. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

Gavin is the only one I had even heard of... I usually just watch DWTS for the pro dances and choreography inspiration anyway though. :p

4. danceronice

You've never heard of Gladys Knight and the Pips? Or Martina Navratilova?

So...you're twelve? (I can get not knowing Melissa Gilbert, and I've never heard of the rest of these D-listers, but really? People who had relevant careers for longer than five minutes?)

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Jaleel White is the actor who played Urkel on Family Matters. Chances are that you'd recognize the character if you saw him even if the name of the actor didn't ring a bell. (I know it didn't for me.)

6. danceronice

Oh, I knew who the character was, not that I ever watched that show (the last good sitcoms were The Cosby Show and Family Ties--people wonder why DWTS is about the only thing I watch on network besides NCIS and I'm losing patience with them...) But I'd hardly remember the actor's name. Melissa Gilbert I only know (ie have seen in) Babylon 5--Little House was just stupid if you've read the books so I never watched it. And that she was SAG president.

Now, as far as 'current' goes, call me if SCD gets someone from "Downton Abbey" (like the guy who plays Matthew....please?)

7. JudeMorrigan

Oh, I never watched the show either. But if you're the age I am (and it sounds like we're in the same ballpark), it was impossible to avoid being aware of the character (which it sounds like you were; aware, that is).

8. Griffico

Griffico Member

It's funny... he's been pigeonholed into that character for YEARS, and now might be his chance to finally escape. If he does well, perhaps the world will finally have some other mental image of him.

Emmitt Smith and Helio Castroneves said they're more famous now for their stints on DWTS, referring to it as a negative. Perhaps it'll work for him in a positive way?

9. JudeMorrigan

Helio Castroneves I can see. The idea that Emmitt Smith would be more famous as a result of being on DWTS kind of blows my mind.

10. danceronice

Jude--I'm 33, fwiw. And I would say Emmett Smith is more famous simply because people like me know more about him now than his name and that he plays a sport (football, yes?) I'm not a complete girly-girl, but I never paid much attention to pro football (or any at all to basketball) so the only reason I know some of these people is they turn up on DWTS.

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Unless she has no dancing talent at all, Maria and Derek in the finals.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...and melissa gilbert is one of the few that I DO recognize..her, martina, Galdys, and Jack....the rest?...no clue

13. JudeMorrigan

Hah. 34 here. There's something vaguely alarming about how easy it is to recognize someone's close to one's age by their knowledge of pop culture. ;)

And ... I suppose. My being from the south may affect things. My strong inclination is to go, "he didn't just play football, he was one of the all-time greats!" (And Jerry Rice is considered by many to be THE all-time great.) But that's probably fairly silly of me.

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The cast doesn't have any stars that want to make me watch the show. I only recognized Maria (I watch Extra from time to time) and the ones fascination mentioned.

15. fascination

i am very interested in seeing what martina can do

16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

She's around 54, I think. She should be in good shape.

17. Griffico

Griffico Member

I just hope she's better than Monica Seles...

18. fascination

I don't doubt the shape...I am curious to see if she can temper the athleticism with some artistry...and I have a suspicion that she will...we will see

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

While I will not watch dwts, I look forward to The Soup hopefully covering William Levy. He was a regular of Clipos de Magnificos on The Soup for his longing gazes on triunfo del amor.

20. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Am I the only one who only recognizes the names of about 4 of these "stars"?
    Guess I'm not up to date with my pop culture.

Ah well, Hulu.com good! Fast forward through the engineered drama and just watch the dancing...