Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

oddly, not really looking forward to it.. except for urkel. :p
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as I said before; an eensy bit curious about Martina and Melissa...but mainly just intrigued to see what I can learn from watchin
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Same here, mostly. I believe I read somewhere that he did some dancing on TV recently and is supposed to be pretty good. Did anybody else hear this, or am I imagining things?
  4. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

Unfortunately, we're having a big rainstorm here until late Tuesday (or maybe Wednesday) and thus I missed most of the dances. DirecTV doesn't get through a 5" rainstorm very well. So, I won't vote tonight. From the little I did see, it looks like everyone got off to a good start.
  5. pygmalion

Same here. Nasty storm took out the satellite dish for most of the show.
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Katherine/Mark and Jaleel/Kym as the final 2 is my prediction.

It definitely looks like he has done some dancing before. And apparently, that Roshon guy is a hip hop dancer but he didn't make near the impression Jaleel did IMO despite Roshon doing Cha Cha which I would think would be an easier intro than a ballroom foxtrot.
  7. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Well, I dont know about everyone else but I really enjoyed the show. Then again, all it takes to make me happy is a group of people who obviously really want to be there and are trying really hard to learn. I'm not much on the drama, so I already LOVE this season! For what its worth, here's my take on the dancers(may not be in the order they performed as I'm going by memory here and my memory is not that good!):
    Maria and Derek: I've always liked her, she has a great smile and she's gorgeous. I love the two of them together. They did good.
    Gavin and Karina: He was nervous and careful and is he always going to wear a hat? I am not overly impressed with him but he didn't do bad at all, he did good.
    Donald and Peta: I think Peta will get to stay around a while this season, which I am happy about! Donald did good.
    Sherry and Val: Ok, I didn't dislike her as much as I thought I would. She was rather funny and when out on the floor she was just so happy that I couldn't help but kind of like her. She did really good.
    Melissa and Maks: I'm not a fan of Maks after last season, but I do like me some Melissa Gilbert. And she, like Kirstie Alley, knows how to handle him quite well. They did really good but I didn't like her outfit (it was sort of like leggings?) and for some reason the judges scored her really low.
    Jack and Anna: I really disliked their outfits. He didn't do bad, though.
    Roshon and Chelsie: I love me some Chelsie but Roshon was a little crazy. He did really good, he was just all over the place.
    Gladys and Tristan: Wow! I was not expecting Gladys to be able to move so easily. She was fabulous! Loved her! Tristan is a doll!!
    Jaleel and Kym: Wow! Who knew Erkel could be so Fred Austaire-ish!! He did really good. I loved him!
    Katherine and Mark: Wow! Either this girl has taken some lessons in the past or maybe she just took ballet or something. Not sure but she is super graceful and did really well. I still am not a fan of Mark due to his spats and highwater pants, but Katherine seems really nice.
    William and Cheryl: Well, everyone thought he was super hot. I personally am not impressed with muscle-y guys dancing. He did good.
    Martina and Tony: Martina looked very pretty! Loved her hair. I have a soft spot for girls who aren't comfortable being girly and so I was proud of her. She looked really nervous, or maybe just petrified, but she did not do bad at all. I like her.

Ok my favorites so far are Maria and Derek, Jaleel and Kym, Gladys and Tristan, Katherine and Mark. There is no one that I really want to leave. I'm looking forward to seeing next week when they get to do a different style. I'd like to see who does good at both ballroom and latin...
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

See, I think Roshon is looking to be this season's Nicole--he had a lot of hip-hop in there, but he was fluid, could already perform to the crowd while not losing his place, and he was on time. Now, can he translate that to Standard, we'll see.

And despite it not raining here, my satellite decided to stop showing double-digit channels (it's not a local problem; History is fine and I've been on American Pickers and Pawn Stars since.) I didn't see anything beyond Sherri except about thirty seconds of Melissa. But no one I did see was at all a disaster-Gavin was a little 'meh' but there have been far, far worse-and I have a good feeling about this season.
  9. fascination

watched only Martina, by coincidence...didn't change channels til she was on and went to bed right after that...and, if she will be less cautious next time I think she has potential
  10. kckc

kckc Active Member

I was stunned at how good Katherine and Mark looked. Her arms were fabulous. I thought Melissa was the clunkiest. I like the fact that everyone gets another dance this year before the first elimination.
  11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Assorted thoughts:

- It really was a good premiere, but they're going to have to break out the "11" paddles somewhere around week 5, aren't they? I mean, they didn't exactly leave the contestents a whole lot of room to improve score-wise, did they?

- This may very well be confirmation bias on my part as I'm a total Anna T. fanboy, but the thing I liked about Jack's dancing is that, to me, he looked like a real inexperienced dancer. That is, he looked like someone who was really being taught to dance rather than how to look like he was dancing. I approve.

- An odd realization: I love me some standard. I am, in fact, even giving very serious consideration to the idea of dropping latin after Millenium, possibly replacing it with smooth. So in general, I'm all about the smooth, flowy dances. But I think I've loved every hip-hop flavored cha-cha I've ever seen on DWTS. Roshon's dance was actually one of my favorite of the night.

- My first season of DWTS was the one that Kristi Yamaguchi and Mark won. I had just started dancing, and I was somewhat in awe of Mark. Over the course of the next several season though, my opinion of him got lower and lower. I'm cautiously optimistic that this season is going to renew some of my fandom with him though. He and Katherine were really good. Bonus points for no spats during the competition.

- William and Cherly were a big meh from me. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be complaining about overscoring on their part in the weeks ahead.

- I hope Corky was watching Tristan and Gladys. Now *that* is how you dance with an older lady.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

See, I really liked him with Kristi, and I really liked him with Bristol. When he gets a girl who is 1. young and 2. able to learn or at least keep up with the tricks and gimmicks, he gets way too "outre" for my taste. He couldn't do that with Kristi because she was older and a little more refined, he couldn't do that with Bristol because she'd never danced at all so he had to start from scratch (and he did a good job.) He can buckle down and TEACH when he has a student where that's what he has to do, but he's really quick to bust out the spats, nerd glasses, and wizard hat if he has an excuse. I would hope Katherine is not going to be putting up with any shenanegans.
  13. Griffico

Griffico Member

I only watched the second half, but I was definitely encouraged by the hihger than expected quality of dancing on the first night. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching a little more, especially if all you saw was Martina.
  14. davedove

davedove Active Member

I was happy to see there weren't any complete trainwrecks this year. Sure, some were better than others, but everyone put on a decent showing, especially for the first night.

I thought Katherine's performance was simply amazing for a first night dance.

I do have to question some of the high marks given - they don't leave much room for improvement.
  15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

The way the paddles work on DwtS goes something like this: 9,10 = good, 7,8= so-so, 5,6= go home.
    Occasionally, for the truly atrocious, horrible disasters that make your eyes bleed, they break out the 3's and 4's.
    Better than 10's make Bruno rip his shirt off (you KNOW he wants to...) and Carrie Ann....well, let's not go there, shall we?
    Len applauds and smiles.
    The music selection for show no. 14-1 was, as usual, terrible, half the 'Foxtrots' were Cha-Chas (or EC Swings), half the Cha-Chas were more Hippedy-Hoppedy than anything else. I've watched about 5 or 6 seasons of this show, starting with Apolo/Julianne (4?) and the music has always been awful. The couples should get extra bonus points for having to put up with this.
    The Hip-Hop kid is good - doesn't lack self-esteem either, now, does he? - but I have a feeling his inner (and outer) break dancer will be so irrepressible that everything's gonna look pretty much the same. Cha-Cha? Hip Hop, don' stop! Tango? Break it down ,bruddah! Waltz? On da SHTREE' baby!
    Latin Mr. Luscious - who made the ballroom audience erupt like I've never seen before - has potential, he certainly did better than most of his fellow soap studs/models, and if he takes his shirt off (which he will, be stupid not to), it's all over but the crying. 100% female audience vote in the bag, dance or no dance.
    Katherine Jenkins - Wow. Gorgeous. Words fail me.
    Oh, and she can dance and sing, too. VERY well.
    Those are your finalists.
  16. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

The celebrities don't know better. Even Latin Mr. Luscious may not be able to identify a true international cha cha, and differentiate it from Ven A Bailar. Plus this is American TV...some people have no interest normally in the dancing, so they pull them in with the music.
  17. fascination

was simply beyond my control....fell asleep :)
  18. Griffico

Griffico Member

I can't argue with that :p
  19. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Unless Jaleel's Latin sucks, he'll go far (probably will go far anyway). His frame was fantastic (other than needing to press his shoulders down a bit, and he did flip flops better than some experienced smooth dancers I have seen (by which I mean me).
  20. pygmalion

This. That first elimination always came way too quickly for my taste. Seriously.