Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Just managed to watch last night's show, and now I can't wait to see Katherine's latin :) Oh and I really hope Jaleel gets down with his bad self at least once this season :banana:
  2. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I am pleasantly surprised by this season.
  3. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I have my usual gripes (eg music) however I really enjoyed the first show of the season by all dancers. But what is with all the hair whipping by the ladies? That is really distracting. Doesn't anyone wear their hair back out of their face anymore?....
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

AGH, I KNOW. I have an overpowering urge to attack them all with a fine-tooth comb and a can of aquanet. Even when I've worn a curled ponytail for Rhythm, I'll still have my hair slicked back out of my eyes. Not least because it would drive me crazy otherwise.
  5. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Perhaps...

Hairography: The excessive use of hair flipping and flashy clothing to make up for lack of dancing ability and rhythm.

I jest, you just reminded me of one of the few episodes of Glee I've seen, I believe they have a hair flipping one. :p

The standard this season should make for good viewing! How much "pre-season" training did they have this year?
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Pssssh! This is reality TV. Ladies get to whip their hair back and forth, if they want. Pay no attention to the real competitive dancers behind the curtain. :lol:
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Laughed myself silly when I read this, but I have to agree. Normally I don't like guys who are that muscled - did you see those biceps??!! - but I'd make an exception for him. I might have to watch this season if for no other reason than the eye candy.

For what it's worth, I thought he showed dancing potential, too.
  8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Right?
    That guy almost makes me wish I was gay.
    Almost.
    He will, of course, have 100% of that vote as well.
    I could actually relate to him when he tried on his dancing shoes, they are a little 'tippy' at first.
    I can't vote, being either working or asleep when it airs, I catch up on Tuesdays via DVDR, but if I could, Miss (?) Jenkins would have my vote sewn up, tucked away and in the bank. Even if she trips and falls next week.
    Considering moving to England and getting into Classical music......:D
    I only hope Mark realizes what a rare diamond he has been given and can find it in himself to keep his (very prominent) inner Walter Mitty well hidden.
  9. Aura

Aura Active Member

I was pleasantly surprised by the premiere. Yes, I've never seen the audience erupt so much as they did when "Mr. Latin Luscious" stepped on the floor. I think the one who surprised me the most was Jaleel, but Katherine did amazingly well, too.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Katherine's got a big following already (going on the skating forum, which has a much bigger membership and gets 300+ post threads per EPISODE for DWTS) which is really Mark's to lose--he just has to keep the nerd glasses and spats locked well up.

Everyone is going to keep Jaleel around. If only to see if he busts out Urkel at some point.

Jack has the soap factor going for him--big chunk of ABC's audience for this show are soap fans with long memories.

Gladys Knight has three things in her favor--MASSIVE name recongition, being the 'older lady' who can move, and Tristan, who has a huge female fan following who are voting to keep him on no matter who he's dancing with. (Me, I don't get it. Maybe it's the accent.)
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I loved Katherine's routine!

Busting out Urkel for the jive would be cute. I watched his foxtrot several times on YouTube - it was so good, especially for a first dance. I was very happy his dance had recognizable elements, and it didn't have the fluff factor that I increasingly dislike in other routines.
  12. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Yes, and it was titled Hairography. But I think hairography is very useful if used in the appropriate quantities, and no more. Rather like salt in food. Very useful. But can go bad very quickly.
  13. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Katherine's look was fabulous.
  14. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Attractive ladies getting a pass hasn't worked very well in past seasons. Most of the models/Barbie types go home early, even if their dancing is good.
    May have to do with lack of fan base/name recognition, may have to do with viewer demographics.
    Hair flipping is good if you have the appropriate hair to flip - such as Peta Murgatroyd (sp?)......:D
    Regarding 'our sex-drenched culture' , what I've noticed in over 20 years in America, is that everyone incessantly talks about nothing but sex (including on TV), but the only ones who actually seem to be having any sex are the ones who are technically not supposed to : the teenagers.
  16. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

What did Martina mean when she said "that is exactly what we did in practice" [when their scores were shown]? Are they scored during dress rehearsal?
  17. davedove

davedove Active Member

The way I understand it, during dress rehearsal they have stand-ins for the judges who hold up paddles as if they were scoring.
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

The family here at Casa ChaCha just got around to watching episode 1. Lots of good performances. Very fun!

-We made our own score sheet and tallied up our scores along with the official judges. We're geeky like that.

-I like that some of the celebs who performed the best were people who did not have a lot of name recognition, but who we instantly loved. Yay for Katherine Jenkins!

-Some of the scoring was kind of weird (e.g., William Levy is indeed sexy, but was overscored), but at least the two top performances got the best scored.

-Oy, the music. Not the best imaginable cover of Lloyd's "Dedication to my Ex" or Chris Brown's "International Lover," to name just a couple. [But I don't think anything will ever top the horror of the cover of Kris Kross's "Jump" that Jesse De Soto and Shanna Moekler had to dance mambo to around season 3. Awkward. Weird to sing "Kris Kross will make you jump, jump!" when your name is not Kris Kross. And not that mambo-like.]

-I like that ABC made this family friendly tv, unlike last season when the network for some reason thought it appropriate to show a clip of Kristen Cavallieri calling someone a b-word. While there was an off-colored joke or two (e.g., when Bruno referred to someone as "stiff in the wrong places" and then said "What you are thinking is not what I meant,") they were the sort of thing that sails right over the head of the elementary school-aged set.

P.S. I certainly don't think attractive girls have necessarily been sent packing. Brooke Burke won, didn't she? But I don't think they get a free pass either. Neither do the attractive men. The only attractive girl I was ever in a hurry to see go was the whiny one who was with Derek a bunch of years ago and was just always convinced she was underscored even though she was not particularly good. Had to look her up because the name was not coming to me: Shannon Elizabeth. Pretty package, lousy attitude.
  19. Aura

Aura Active Member

I can't wait to see them dance QS and Jive. Those seem like difficult dances, and I can't wait to learn them myself.
  20. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

This. Personally, I hope she wins, but I doubt she's enough of a "name" to go the distance.

This too; but the producers will keep him on long term to keep his female fans watching (= advertising $$$).

Only caught part of the replay while channel surfing. Might have to Hulu it to watch the first few couples.