Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

so true that was apparent from the first week its a treat vs say a runaway winner like Nicole
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

This is exactly my point. Derek has never had to try. The other pros have, including the female pros. I can't really think of a female pro that always gets a ringer.
  3. Mr 4 styles

and neither is Derek!!!!
  4. Mr 4 styles

that's because there are no male ringers!!! we men just aren't as good at this as the ladies at least that is what the ndca tells me LLOOL jk
    Wannabee likes this.
  5. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Which is exactly why Melissa Rycroft won the All-Star season, which I think was actually an accident. TPTB hosed Shawn and Derek all season because they tried to make it interesting, to try and make us think it was a horse race. (And you know the judges were BSing because after the show, Len used to run to Derek backstage and be like "sorry about that, I really loved your dance!") But they didn't consider factors like the whole world thinking "I'm voting for Tony because he's never won before". Having a ringer means nothing. If you ask me, it was a miracle that Derek won with Nicole, because it's infinitely harder to win when everyone expects you to. The pairing of Shawn and Derek was as close to a sure thing as you can get. And you saw what happened, TPTB fakohkt it all up (as they say on The Nanny).

I mean, we all know we as an audience are being manipulated. It's just unfortunate how BLATANT it is. I actually find it to be insulting.

I've got to respectfully disagree. Because even if he gets a ringer, he shows that he knows what he's got and he doesn't call it in. When he's got a partner that's more capable, he shows it by giving them routines much more difficult than the competition is doing.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

But having a talented partner to start with and then accelerating said partner is not at all the same thing as "making chicken salad out of chickensh..." as Mr. 4Styles so eloquently stated. And the latter is what Derek has never had to do IMO.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

and they even showed the block judging on this weeks results show..

len asking Bruno :"what are we going to give him.."

true dat!!! Derek and shawn whupped mellissa and tony that being said I liked mellissa better than shawn the first time... but hey she was with ballas light errr mark
  8. Mr 4 styles

no one has done that... it cant be done well maybe alec with Kelly Monaco but every one had no clue back then so I discount that
    theAnnelis likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

:confused:
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Speaking of Derek...while it's not clear WHAT program he'll be doing (short dance, free dance, or an exhibition) he's going to be choreographing a routine for reigning World ice dance champions, Meryl Davis and Charlie White. I'm assuming it's the exhibition, because it would be a HUGE risk to go with a choreographer who can't even skate and has never worked with skaters before in an Olympic year for a program that counts, though it's one of the two I'd bet on the SD, as that's based off Finnstep this year and the original half has to include characteristics of quickstep or Charleston. I'm sure he'll have someone covering the actual skating bits (ie what is and isn't possible or legal on blades, if it's the SD what they have to include, etc) but I bet he comes up with some lifts and spins that aren't cookie-cutter ice dance routines! And it'll be interesting to see what a floor-dance choreographer does when friction isn't in the equation any more...

Meryl and Charlie were in the ballroom on Monday, from Kristi and Dorothy tweeting, but the show didn't point them out or mention their working with Derek. Boo show!
  11. Mr 4 styles

Derek tweeted this.... very excited I agree and suspect we will see something we havent before

with Derek doing the choreo... they are a lock for gold:cool:

coz Derek knows how to work those judges and they don't call it the skating system for nuthin:eek:

( this is me teasing you DOI:D)

ditto and we know by contract ABC had to clear that project... imma guessin the Olympics aren't on ABC
  12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I still like my idea of asking Meryl & Charlie on the show as a couple, giving them a pro (Chelsie or Tony, perhaps?) as a sort of 'mentor' to teach them the steps and help them with ballroom-specific choreo. Something a little different, the show is getting stale and needs a shot in the arm.
    I tuned out of this season after episode 3 or 4, couldn't get into anyone, there's no Katherine Jenkins, no Julianne, no Chelsie, no Anna...and Brooke doesn't get nearly enough airtime to warrant 2 hours of DVDR.
    Dancing-wise, Zendaya is so far ahead of the others, it's kind of ridiculous, but I'm not sure she has the fanbase to win.
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I really doubt they'd get away with two ice dancers, nice as it would be. They've been taking lessons for years (I even sat behind them spectating during pro Latin at one competition back before the great Igor-Marina split when they brought a bunch of their skaters) and I know one of the teachers who worked with a lot of the Canton skaters. Nicole was pushing it, Meryl and Charlie (especially together--talk about being used to each other) would be the ringingest ringers who ever rang.
  14. Mr 4 styles

ill tell her you said when i see her in two weeks:D!!

WOW say that three times fast!!!!:eek:
  15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Well, Mr. Styles, you can also tell her that she stands alone as season 16's No.1 Hottie.

As for ringers, I don't really mind them, I'd rather see 5,000 ringers than 1 Wynona.
    The show isn't really a dance competition, anyway.
    Well, sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. Depends on how huge the disparity between fan bases is and what kind of mood Mr. Goodman is in.......
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

That's my point. NO ONE has, not even Derek. And as most all of the other pros have tried and failed, if Derek wants to make believers out of everyone once and for all, then he should take the chickensh... and make chicken salad. I for one would love to see him do it. I'd totally be rooting for that!
  17. Mr 4 styles

the saying is you CANT.. not you kinda might sorta be able too.... no one can

in an attempt to not get slapped ,I will rephrase as prettiest girl on the show mkay??

LOL true dat
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Ok, watching tonight ( missed last week), but I am done with Andy's dancing. The whole comedy- rumba with no technique just didn't work for me. I loved Kellie, enjoyed Jacoby and igor, but everyone as usual is taking a lot of liberties with the essence of the dances and the music! Perhaps they should have a syllabus only night to acquaint the dancers with the basics of each of the dances.
  19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

The music, OMG the dances and the appropriate music, there is ZERO connection anymore, OUCH!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes:
  20. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Music? They have music?
    If you are referring to The Theme from Star Wars (Tango), Mr. Bojangles (VW), various 4/4 time 'Waltzes' or countless interchangeable Cha-Cha/ECS/WCS type deals that magically became Rumbas, Boleros or something else....Egads, where's that mute button again?
    No, wait, Brooke's talking - unmute.
    Steven123 and Phil Owl like this.