Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

Tonight the music matches the dances better than any for the last two seasons (at least. I cannot remember further back.)

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Really? I felt the music was terribly mismatched. I love Jacoby's enthusiasm but how could that be a jive? The pros know better...what is with the choreography? Derek, Val and Peta seem to be the only ones trying to at least have the dances resemble the styles.

3. This was the most painful DWTS show I have seen in a long time. The music was just completely mismatched, both salsas were trainwrecks (I had not expected anything else). At first I was just soooo ticked off by the music that I was not even able to watch the dancing. Then I watched it again with the music muted to see if there was any salsa in it.

Jacoby and Karina at least had a few salsa steps in it, Marc and Alexandra's dance had nothing to do whatsoever with salsa, no salsa steps, just wiggling and butt shaking and shoulder shimmying...and crawling on the floor.

Why do they make them dance to a Don Omar party song that has nothing to do with salsa? They gave the same awful song to both couples. Karina and Jacoby were trying in vain to run after the music and catch up with it, there was a lot of rushing and Karina running around Jacoby going on but no salsa. Totally disconnected and very unmusical...

Both salsas were just awful....

And the judges acted as if they had never ever seen a real salsa. If they had they would not have given Marc and Alex 10s, rather 6s for the effort.

Why do they not go to a few salsa clubs in LA and look how Latinos dance salsa? I bet any mediocre salsa dancer in those clubs has way more feel for the dance and the music than anybody on this show.

I still don't get it. For me, dancing is expressing oneself to the music and expressing the music with your dancing. Why is it that in ballroom dancing there seems to be little to no interest in matching the music to the dance. It should be the other way around anyway: match the dance to the music. Ally and Marc then thanced a cha cha to some awful American pop song when there are all these great cha chas/guajiras out there... I just don't get it.

(Rant over)

Phil Owl and Steven123 like this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't know why they do salsa on the show at all...it's not ballroom.

5. Casey

Casey Member

6. davedove

davedove Active Member

You know, while I was watching last night, I really tried to pay attention to Kellie's routine. I love the girl, but the dance seemed a little too stiff to be a good samba, no bounce. I'll have to say that the slow motion part kind of caught me off guard though.

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Ive come to the conclusion that the people who pick the music and (mis) match it to the various dance styles have never danced one step of anything in their lives and that their musical knowledge is limited to American Top 40 hits, show tunes and film themes of the past 60 years or so. Maybe focus group research sez that that is what the audience wants to hear and nuttin' else.
    IIRC, a few seasons ago they said Derek had to learn Jitterbug off the internet. That's embarrassing. It may not be officially ballroom, but the fact that a professional dancer - who knows perfectly well in advance that Jitterbug might or will be part of that season's curriculum - has to resort to YooToob is beyond ridiculous. He lives in Los Angeles, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the western hemisphere, there HAVE to be places where they dance Jitterbug. Similarly, if the pros are given one of the more exotic or unusual dances, like AT, Polka, Samba, etc. and their celeb has trouble getting it, why don't they take them to a venue where this dance is done on a regular basis? Use the phone book, people. Google it. Have MapQuest tell you where you are. Have your smart phone walk the dog.

Phil Owl and salsera_alemana like this.
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Gee. See, I was waiting for the hand wringing that was missing when the 10s were handed out for ArgentIne tango. I mean, gosh, sometimes the judges even talked about...technique this week!
    The less you know about something apparently the easier it is to enjoy this show, because I seem to be enjoying having it on, while not necessarily looking at it all the time. Also, after having spent a month or so learning about what makes, for instance, a song sound like a "country" song, what makes it "western swing," etc, I have a lot of respect for the people who play for this show because they are asked to play in many different styles.

9. danceronice

They make up/exaggerate how much or how little the pros know of various dances and how they learn it. Cheryl did NOT have to ask Tony backstage how to dance Bolero. They just say stuff like that for the drama. It's TV. Same reason they only show the tense or disastrous moments of rehearsals-it's better television than watching someone grind away at learning steps.

chachachacat likes this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I didn't get the salsa part either! I haven't done salsa in awhile... but I don't remember it looking like that!

On a serious note, I wonder if there are any ballroom professionals getting upset about what is now being represented to the popular culture as ballroom. I know in the health care field, we have organizations that will write TV shows in protest when certain themes deviate too much from the norm. I wonder if there exists the same thing in the ballroom industry. It does not seem that anyone who knows ballroom is happy with the way it is being portrayed on the show.

11. danceronice

I don't actually know any pros who care that much. It's at most a bit like the average archaeologist when asked about Indiana Jones (a little eye rolling.) But it's TV. I'm sure some people don't realize it's silly, but some people think "Hell's Kitchen" is a good test of whether or not you can work in a restaurant kitchen. (It's not.)

12. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm not kidding about this... Last night, I was sort of watching, tuning in and out. I didn't watch the rehearsal footage of Aly and Mark. I didn't hear the dance names that they were doing. But just as it started, I looked up to watch. When they finished, I thought to myself "that may be the worst samba I've ever seen on the show". Then they said it was actually a salsa. Who knew?

However, it got two 10's. Really judges? I mean really? If Aly's dance was worth two 10's, then Zendaya should have had 12's. At least I recognized her dance as a paso.

As if that weren't enough, they picked it for the encore. Again, really?

theAnnelis and salsera_alemana like this.
  13. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL Tell us how you really feel ;)

Maybe they are trying to make it up to Aly for the horrific costumes she has had to endure.

14. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I know lol. Looking back, maybe I was a bit too worked up about it hee hee.

15. I am glad I was not the only one who got all worked up about this. ;)

I thought that the results show made up a bit for last night (apart from the encore dance that we had to endure again).

I loved Michael Bublé's song, what a nice cha cha rhythm. Why can they not give the couples music like that?

The Camden kids' story and dance was very nice! The dance teacher's story made me sad but it is also a story of hope and great courage. I am looking forward to seeing her dance on DWTS in the future.

And how nice to see Twitch and Allison perform!

16. You are asking way too much here ;)! Juanés' music is a mixture of Cumbia and Vallenato, and the dance the pros did to that looked more like jive to me, with all the kicks and jumps done by Sasha (?), is that the male pro's name? The dance had no connection whatsoever to the music.

17. Pirate Smith

Pirate Smith Member

yikes my bad... why did I mistype Juanes... sorry... but, he is still a Cumbia artist... a wonderful dance genre....

18. danceronice

Cumbia's not ballroom, so they wouldn't do it anyway. I don't know why they do anything but the 19 anyway (they have a whole load of Smooth dances they don't really do, they have Mambo and Bolero from Rhythm, ECS....) They don't need to bastardize AT or force them to roll around doing Contemporary.

chachachacat likes this.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am going to encourage some respect for the choice of words we use in describing dance professionals on this forum...let's please use more discretion than some of the above characterizations

20. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

This is what I don't get. All they did was shimmy and crawl around. Yes, Aly went for it, but there was no content and it, quite frankly, looked almost stupid. And then not only do they get 10s they don't deserve, but they get the encore - WHY? MARK IS INJURED. Why make him dance again? Damn, these people are trying so hard to force Aly and Zendaya down viewers' throats I actually feel like I'm being choked when I see either one of them.