Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a case where I've really benefitted from not paying all that much attention to the parts of the show that don't actually involve dancing. I've actually been very impressed with Zendaya. Sean, on the other hand, is a bit of a different story. Even not really watching much of the filler, I've been left feeling like the show has been pushing him really hard for reasons that seem largely inexplicable to me.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

My impression of Sean is just that he's been willing to play (goof around, letting them do the 'bromance' with Tristan thing, poke fun at himself) while not being a really BAD dancer (like poor Andy, who I'd have kept over Sean and Ingo). The one I think has been overscored is Ingo, who I just keep forgetting is still on the show. They pretty much know the final two will be Zendaya and Kellie, unless there's a shocking elimination (tm), so they have to make the drama or comedy where they can.

3. Thanks for putting it into words! That was exactly my point, too! There was ZERO salsa content in that dance. When I saw it again yesterday Mark and Ally reminded me of tourists in a Latin dance club who had no clue whatsoever of Latin dancing but wildly jumped around the dance floor trying to imitate the dancers on the dance floor while making a fool of themselves. They were not in sync with the music (not surprising because it is very hard to do salsa to that music) and not in sync with each other. And the crawling on the floor topped it all off! Yes, it looked stupid and embarrassing.

theAnnelis likes this.
  4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I can remember 1 Salsa a few seasons ago that was actually a Salsa and would have been recognized as such by actual Salsa dancers. I forgot who did it - might have been Karina and whoever - but they actually did the actual Salsa steps, for the most part. All the others have consisted of dressing the girl in the skimpiest outfit possible without incurring the wrath of Cotton Mather, still in charge of Puritan Values on US TV and have her wiggle her hips as much as she can, while the guy either opens and closes the door (pro) or stands there (celeb).

theAnnelis likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

that was the year maria torres choreoed it for them

6. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Same reason they tried so hard to push Gilles, Kelly Monaco, Zendaya, Chelsea Kane, and others - Sean's a family member. And the Bachelor wedding is going to air this summer or something. Cross promotion sort of thing, I guess, to keep him fresh in the viewers' minds. Even Tom Bergeron (who I'm almost certain doesn't buy into it) brought it up. He used it as a lead-in to the bromance joke, but still.

7. Mr 4 styles

the mrs told me why "coz he's hhhhaaawwwwtttttt"

um ok hon gotchya

8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Um. Uh. o_O :confused: :eek:
    What the HECK just happened tonight?
    A Paso with "no content" gets a 7, but a Salsa with no Salsa gets a 10.
    OK...

(p.s. yeah, I know the competition is fixed, but come on...)

9. JudeMorrigan

I liked Zendaya's foxtrot quite a bit better than her salsa. In fairness though, I don't think any of the "salsa"s have has much actual salsa content.

10. Aura

Aura Active Member

Favorite quote for tonight has to be " Welcome back to this addition of 'Len needs a cookie' ". Love you, Tom! I know Len is a strict traditionalist with a low tolerance for the theatrical, but It didn't seem as horrid as he made it out to be. Poor Kelly looked so frightened during that whole exchange, but it scared me a bit, too, to be perfectly honest.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i don't watch much...but tonight I wasnt sure whether peta was the pro or her student...truth...sorry

12. I am with you here. Zendaya is my favorite every week. She is so light footed and elegant and playful, I love her. Loved, loved her foxtrot! She looked and danced like a fairy tale princess :).

Kelly is a great dancer but in a way her dancing leaves me cold.

This is the DWTS season I enjoy the least, I have to say. Except for Zendaya and Kelly, the level of dancing is pretty low compared to most other seasons. Although I normally enjoy Bruno's theatricality, the judges start being ridiculous.What did Tom remark? It started feeling like kindergarten? I think he used a different word... He is hilarious.

And what is up with giving Ally the highest marks for the first dance? Her AT looked a bit awkward to me, I was not impressed. I am not an AT dancer but I think I can see when someone looks awkward. We have seen many better ATs on this show.

I do not even want to get into Zendaya's "salsa". I think they did a good dance (i. e. they moved well) to the Calypso music they were given but - again - it had nothing to do with salsa. Why do the DWTS people get salsa confused with calypso and samba rhythms every single time????

And I wish Jacoby would cover his tattooed chest... Sorry, for me tattoes and dancing do not go together. Also, his feet still point inward which made the paso look funny.

Hopefully I can be more positive next week ;)

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I've quit watching this season, they've had lame ones in the past, but this may be the overall weakest cast. They need to follow this up with a strong fall season.

14. standardnut

standardnut Member

Same score for the VW from some of the judges for Kelly and Jocoby? Len gave 7 to Kelly for her Paso? Judges, please be fair.

15. JudeMorrigan

I may be wildly off base on this, but I kind of got the impression that Len's blowup over Kellie's paso was scripted. I think it had more to do with riling up her fanbase than anything else.

anntennis likes this.
  16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

SCRIPTED? OMG, no! :p

17. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Totally agree. Absolutely scripted. Val should win, but producers plus want Derek to win. It is done to drive an enormous support or more than usual support for Derek and take away attention from Val and Z. Cheap trick and it is working big time! Everybody’s feeling sorry for a Len’s mark 7 and forgetting about great performance of Val and Z.

18. Mr 4 styles

Tom called it a bad day care. We were in the audience last night. They all look worse live. You can see the pros helping a lot. Sean was the worst easy . Kelly was great and Len missed the Salvador due to some piping on the set. The floor is okay size until they put props on it

19. JudeMorrigan

Oh, that's fun. Out of curiosity, how much is the whole audience-booing-the-slightest-negative-comment-the-judges-make thing spontaneous and how much of it is explictly encouraged by the producers?

20. Mr 4 styles

The booing is totally spontaneous. All the reactions to the judges are