Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

oksana
    emma
    lindsay
    whitney
    peta
    kym
    :D
  2. Mr 4 styles

no one watches nielsen style tv anymore abc doesnt know how to track internet tv views
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "no one". Most people are watching on a TV (with a DVR, maybe.) What I don't watch is NETWORK very often. Heck, I did a Nielsen diary last month and I think the only network show in it was "NCIS". I did put a note in the back I sometimes watch DWTS but couldn't because of work, but pretty much EVERYTHING else was three-digit channels. Why would I watch the three big networks when there's a couple hundred other channels? "Deadliest Catch", "Longmire", "Psych", "Burn Notice", History and H2, NatGeo, Military, Animal Planet, ten different kids' channels, Ovation, twenty-four hour news networks, heck, with TVG I can watch horse racing without having to sit through regular sports fluff for five minutes of one race. Weather? Instead of waiting for a local news show I just flip on the weather channel, hit the red button, and get forecast and radar for my zip code. Local news? Radio's still best-heck, my radio station sends texts if you want them for important traffic and headlines. Waiting until 11pm for the local affiliate to tell me it's raining? Why? There's a specialty channel for everyone now. No one NEEDS the networks any more, including the advertisers, and most of their shows are dying--look at the soaps, they've killed shows that have been running since the 1930s because viewers aren't a captive audience. I suspect one reason there's a lot of resistance to the idea of a la carte channels is they know most people aren't going to bother with the big names.

People have options. That isn't good for network. And let's face it, the concept may have jumped the shark, too. People are into "The Voice" now, the lack of really recognizable celebs (who aren't available/out of their price range) hurts, and I think the recent revolving door of pros is hurting as they're the 'regulars'--there are people who watch for Maks, for Derek, only incidentally for the celebs. They've only really had a couple breakout women (Cheryl and Julianne, and giving Cheryl dubious partners didn't help keep her there) and they seem to be trying to come up with something but trying to force it doesn't work. It all smells desperate.
  4. Mr 4 styles

if people are only 18-35 that might be true as DWTS is very close to them in viewers here but 35-55 DWTS whips the voice

oh and now the voice will have revolving judges as well

and bottom line dancing is more fun ot watch than singing so DWTS should be able to retool its ABCS execs that worry me very clueless
  5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

The notion that older people are the only ones with 'disposable' (....) income is antiquated, seems to me that started to change already in the 1950's. Today's kids have plenty of money to spend.
    They juggle 3-4 'smart'phones, check their Facebook/email/voicemail/Twitter/etc. every 5 minutes and have 'owned' (=owed on) 3 cars by the time they're 19.

I don't think I know anyone under the age of 30 who watches DwtS, and only very few straight men (who will actually admit to watching). Maybe they don't know that Brooke's on it.
    Personally, I quit on this season because there was just no one that captured my attention, I STILL do not believe that pro dancers or athletes can be out of breath after 1 1/2 minutes of Rumba, and the judges.....and the 'music'.....well, let's not get nasty.
    I don't watch nearly enough TV to warrant things like cable or satellite, the PBS channels are my defaulty settings, and this past Monday, the series finale of 90210 took DVDR precedence over pretend-ballroom.
    Inviting some of their cast on a future season might actually attract a younger audience. With or without money to spend.
  6. danceronice

Those "young" people (I don't know anyone with three smart phones--no one needs three phones unless they're a drug dealer; honestly, I wonder, going on your descriptions, just what sort of neighborhood you're in) are, as you note by saying 'owed on', in debt they're not paying. That's not money to spend in the sense advertisers means. (And who on earth watches 90210? Besides nostalgics who watched it the first time, meaning at LEAST my age....)

Mr. 4 Styles--I don't know, people seem to want "The Voice" and "American Idol." I can't imagine why they watch a bunch of wannabe pop tarts yodeling (who's turned out any good? Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood?) but they seem to. And they've got the demographic DWTS seems to want but doesn't know how to go for.

I just honestly think they're slipping and know it, and are trying to come up with ANYTHING to save it. They ought to just let Tom Bergeron ad-lib more. He's more entertaining than anything the judges say.
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

I have two and a tablet...

AI is potentially dead after this season...er now I mean.. the voice has a good format

absofrigginlutely!!! you should have heard the funny stuff he said walking on and off the floor at DWTS ( when his mike was off) when we watched he is a riot!!!
  8. Mr 4 styles

kellie to win zendaya second
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I feel like either that or the reverse would be a perfectly respectable result. It's been pretty clear all season that they were the top two couples, and I don't think there's really enough separation between them that either of them winning would be a travesty.
  10. Mr 4 styles

technicaly kellie was better so gotta go with her

but it should be close
  11. QS 6

QS 6 New Member

What is the basis of the judgment that Kellie is technically better??
    dancelvr likes this.
  12. danceronice

..Kellie did a bunch of flexibility tricks while Derek spun her around and they pretended to be weepy?

Sorry, I found their freestyle exactly like every other Contemporary routine ever (and I have zero interest in/respect for Contemporary as a style-to me that's what you do if you wash out of ballet). But then all of the freestyles were kind of underwhelming--Jacoby seemed to be trying to hide (the best part was the little-boy tapdancer-the little girl was actually kind of gawky, but that boy had style-I was watching him instead of Karina and Jacoby!), having done pole I appreciate that Aly's was HARD, but it just wasn't that pleasant to watch, and Zendaya's was...okay. Her dancing was good, I appreciated incorporating a variety of things, but it wasn't exactly "Save a Horse" or "I Play Chicken." The freestyles were just kind of meh, which kind of goes with the overall season being 'meh.' I only saw that and the Cha Cha "relay", would still give it to Zendaya.
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'm just catching up on last nights dances, but I did NOT like Kellie and Derek's quickstep as much as the judges did. To me, quickstep is a fast moving, travelling dance. They stayed so stationary, they hardly circled the floor once in the whole routine. That is not quickstep to me.

ETA: And something about Zendaya's samba felt off phrase. Dancing was great, but something didn't seem to match with the music.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

That is too bad. I actually stopped watching the show a few weeks ago. I liked it when they had stars like Marie Osmond, Jane Seymour, Jennifer Grey etc, etc, people I remembered seeing in movies and TV and now get to see them take on ballroom. If they age down the show it will not be interesting to me... not that it is at this point anymore.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd rather see older stars that I recognize rather than young ones only people who watch Disney channel know.
  16. davedove

davedove Active Member

I'm not a fan of contemporary either, but I did appreciate Kellie's freestyle for one main reason - it was all about the dance and not a whole big flash-bang production number. Too many freestyles in recent seasons seem to be about fitting as many people on the stage as possible.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. JudeMorrigan

I don't think that's entirely the pro's fault. I think the whole "super-sized freestyle" concept came down from the producers. Hopefully the reception to Kellie's freestyle causes them to back away from that.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. JudeMorrigan

In general I agree, although in this specific case, Zendaya danced well enough and seemed professional enough that the fact that I didn't have any idea who she was going into the season didn't phase me too much. Of course, not knowing who some (many/most) of the older stars are is pretty routine for me as well.
    danceronice likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

straight legs in chacha zendaya no
    same for samba z's legs were never straight
    equally ok hip action in rumba between the two
    qs kellie was stronger in posture and danced clearer and more difficult choreo

z was better in jive but barely
    kellies.. precision and execution of consistently harder choreo all season.. that is what technically better means
    theAnnelis likes this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

ive been to the show

the floor is tiny for the standard dances add a prop or two and boom you are in a 45 by 35 space if you are lucky

its QS in a closet