Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yeah buddy!!!!!!!! I see DOI wants all the freestyles to be countrified!!

kidding but agree the two best freestyles ever

Z won the relay but they all danced their old cha choreo and kellie had cha in week one!! so im sure given more time ( one week three dances agggh)
    Derek would have gunned it up

the best couple won

that being said the most enjoyable part of the whole season was..
    every time Val did jive !!! mannnn I envy that dude maddd skilllzzzzz
  2. davedove

davedove Active Member

Okay, a couple of things I liked on the finale:

1) Kristi joining Dorothy for her dance - a nice touch, with two classy and graceful ladies dancing together.
    2) Len actually danced!!! Granted it wasn't very long, but it was nice to see.
    chachachacat likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

totally agree that was a great touch!!!
  4. QS 6

QS 6 New Member

5. QS 6

QS 6 New Member

6. QS 6

QS 6 New Member

Thanks for your tutorial on technique.
    I appreciate your opinions. However the specifics you provided only applied to one or two performances, and to judgments based on specific styles in pro competitions. Most of the time, the choreographed performances bear little resemblance to 'syllabus' arrangements of any style.
    The British version of DWTS is close to a ballroom competition -- the American version is certainly not. Does not mean it cannot be fun, but attention to 'technique' in a pure sense, is only occasional on the part of competitors or judges.
  7. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

For the U.S. judges, only when it's convenient.
  8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

It would be interesting to see other countries' versions of this, the closest I've come is the Strictly Ballroom DVD featuring journalist (?) Natasha Kaplinski, winner of the British version. One would hope that at least their music selections aren't quite as cotton candy bubble gum meaningless as ours.
    I agree with QS6 that actual technique features about as prominently in DwtS as hot sauce features in vanilla fudge. What really counts are the WOW! factor, how Len feels that day and who's got the fan base.
    Who's got the fan base?
    Derek do.
    The show should be re-named Beat The Derek.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Given the music was suited to American Cha, Zendaya was fine. Kellie, meanwhile, pretty much ALWAYS had straight legs whether she was supposed to or not. Definitely not equal on rumba as the action is in the BODY, not the hips, and Kellie was stiff as a board. And if their freestyle were dancing and not gymnastics posing while twirling and making o-faces, I'd be more impressed. (If I wanted to see that, there's always ice dance...)

I think the most telling bit was the underwhelming reaction from the rest of the cast when the winners were announced. And I noticed the camera cut away fast and then even in the usual 'bring the cast out to hug the winners' they avoided showing them. Mark didn't hug him or anything, he and Jacoby just kind of hoisted them up. Somehow I don't think it's anything to do with Kellie that the rest are underwhelmed. Over on FSU where a lot of people had said, they liked Kellie's freestyle, the reaction was kind of the same--"Oh, Derek won again. Poor Val." And quite a few people expressing the desire to see him given someone like Bristol, or at least a Kelly Osborne. (Also several people saying Mark seemed kind of over it the whole season. I agree with that, not sure with the other common feeling on Mark there, that he always outdances his partners.)

I was like 'Who is that--ZOMG IS THAT KRISTI?!?" during Dorothy's waltz. Loved it! Also liked (to my surprise) Lisa, and I enjoyed seeing Andy again. Heaven help me, even Psy was kind of fun in a guilty-pleasure-song sort of way.
  10. Mr 4 styles

hahahhaaa and good luck
  11. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Overall this was a mediocre season. The dances had very little content that resembled the syllabus, and the music often had nothing to do with the dance style they purported it would be. As usual the points system was meaningless because the comments by the judges had little to do with the score.

The scores on this show are always 5 or over, so why not make it a 1-5 system instead of 1-10? Maybe it would even be better to get away from points and do like SYTYCD and just give a pass/fail.

If DWTS continues on this path it might be better to call every dance "freestyle" because almost all the dances have no defining styles (for example: try to tell the difference between chacha, samba, and tango). The judges gave high scores to dances that they said lacked content, so it appears that real dance steps are now irrelevant.
  12. QS 6

QS 6 New Member

13. QS 6

QS 6 New Member

14. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

I agree this was a blah season. What did impress me was the amazing projection system above the dance floor and the video walls. A complaint of mine in the past was the lighting gymnastics would often overpower the performers (true of SYTYCD also.) The last two seasons, the graphics projected on the floor and the co-ordinated video wall were, sometimes, works of art enhancing the story of the dance in delightful ways.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

If they are going to insist on giving numerical scores, I'd like to see them break the score down. So many points for difficulty of routine difficult and actual dance content and so many points for the execution. It would make the scores a lot more meaningful, I think if you had a real pro judge watch this and score the dances the results would be a lot more variable than the DWTS judges scores.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Len is a real pro judge

I agree two scores

call it technical merit and artistic interpretation like skating
  17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

You mean "program components"? ;)

And didn't they have one episode of DWTS where they DID give two scores? I don't know why they don't. That way they could fairly score someone like Andy (or Carson, other similar cast)--high points for entertainment value, low technical score for lack of technical content.
  18. Mr 4 styles

I lost track of skating with the mr ed Russian judge and Sale /pelletier vs berishnaya szirualidse ( sp)

yep and the paddles should allow 0.5 point increments
  19. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

The special effects were more impressive than most of the dances.
  20. Mr 4 styles

except dereks...............