Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I really don't get them including a genre that (most of) the pros don't know. Bad enough that they include partner dances outside of the ballroom 19. That said, I've always wondered why they spend all these weeks learning ballroom and then decide the finals based on a "freestyle". Maybe this will mean that they're better prepared for that? I hope at least they're providing contemporary coaches/choreographers, because otherwise the competitors' performances will depend almost entirely on what experience their pros happen to have outside of what they were hired for, and that's incredibly arbitrary.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, I am! I'm sorry, it just always comes across to me as 'what you do when you can't quite hack it in ballet. Lots of head-flinging and rolling on the floor. And in any case is this "So You Think You Can Dance With The Stars"?

Tristan and Dorothy have it the first week, too. Good luck there. I also am starting to wonder if Tristan's the new Tony--gets the ladies of a certain age/guaranteed train wrecks (Pam being the latter category). Dorothy is not exactly a spring chicken and she's not really a 'current' household name (she won her gold two years before I was born, for heaven's sake, and I'm about to age out of A at most competitions), plus there is the arthritis issue.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I just think DWTS should be about ballroom dance... and leave the contemporary and other dance styles for SYTYCD. I agree with Jude.... there is enough in ballroom itself to keep the audience interested!
    Mr 4 styles and SDsalsaguy like this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

HEY!!! HUSTLE IS DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
  5. Mr 4 styles

when dorothy finals you will have to post a big" im ssooowwyyyy dorothy":cool:
  6. danceronice

As it's all based on voters, I will not (in any case, never apologize, it's a sign of weakness--I think that's Gibbs's rule #1, or is that always have a knife? Don't put two suspects together in interrogation? It's somewhere in the top ten) but I very much doubt it, especially if they're setting this up with more non-ballroom dances. Kristi and Evan are a lot younger as far as prior skater success (and Evan STILL got robbed) and when I say arthritis I mean as in "endorses a serious prescription treatment for it." She's up against the young and the flexible (and Derek. He hasn't won in, what, two seasons? I'm sure they feel he's owed...did he get the gymnast?)

Plus, again...name recognition in the 48-65 set has not been super-helpful on this show in the past. To be old enough at remember Dorothy medaling you'd need to be at minimum in your forties. She's not from a sport with a growing fanbase (more's the pity...)

But then, she does have Tristan, and he DOES have a fanbase, too...
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At the least, I expect her to do better than Tristan's previous stars. Of course, better than Pamela Anderson is fairly faint praise.
    danceronice and Mr 4 styles like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

drunk irish chicks??

+2 for the NCIS reference!!!:p
    danceronice likes this.
  9. danceronice

Given the size of his figure-skating fandom fan base, they're not all drunk or Irish or girls...

Back atcha for getting it!
  10. Mr 4 styles

im betting sean lowe has a bigger... um fan base

temptation by cote de pablo on my ipod !!:cool:
  11. regis

regis Active Member

THANKS! I didn't even know it was starting up. I just set the DVR to grab it.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Watching now.... Pickler is good, but didn't really see a lot of chacha in her routine. She looked confident and fast though and partnered well with Derek, good turns, and alot of energy,but I think I only saw one or two chacha steps. Victor on next...liked the routine, never heard of Lindsey Arnold, but she looks like a good pro.
    islandia55 and pygmalion like this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Oh no...now it is contemporary.... Why????.....I heard they are going to have ballet, jazz, and hip hop too....
    Foxtrot with Lisa...probably too complicated choreography for week one
    Dl's chacha...at least it had chacha elements in it... But his basics were off, and too much hip hop for the chacha.
  14. danceronice

I wish someone besides Tom Bergeron would do something good. Kelly was adequate, nothing more, Disney Girl was fine but she's a professional dancer on her show plus she got the jump-and-roll-around dance (Val gets bonus points for his facial expression when they opened the envelope). Everyone else so far....ow.

I would have paid money if that poor misused Pomeranian mangled someone. He's entitled to his one free bite for the stupid outfit.
    debmc and pygmalion like this.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

No surprise that Zendaya did well...young, dancer, fit....still don't like contemporary on DWTS.
    Sean's foxtrot wasn't bad for first week. He is athletic and committed so may do well.
    I actually didn't like Aly's chacha, even tho the judges did. I expected more from a young, fit athlete. Shaking that fringe around was the main thing I saw, but the judges seemed to like her. I think the judges are bigger on entertainment value than on technique.
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Not a surprise to see Dorothy do well. Skaters always seem to do well on this show. Will watch rest of show tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing what other DF's say.
  17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

What? It's on again? Man I miss those weekly TV listing that used to be in the newspapers.
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I agree, really didn't like Aly's cha cha. I felt it had very little actual cha cha content and a lot of just shaking around. That costume also was not flattering at all.
  19. danceronice

See, I liked her dress, but that was about it. It wasn't the best for her, but at least it moved and was a color that wasn't coma-inducing. (Every fabric the color of Dorothy's dress should be burned. No exceptions. It's hideous no matter who's designing with it or wearing it.) And I love having the sleeves and the stoned-over illusion net. The actual dancing...it seemed really messy and choppy.

Of course, the overall quality wasn't that great all night, so...
  20. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance if this is already posted... But Dancing with the stars started tonite! My guilty pleasure is back! Who are your favorites? Are you watching?