Dancing With the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gingerbread, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Didn't watch it, so I can't speak for it, but over on the news sites there are some mean and cruel comments made about Wynona Judd and her performance. Just makes me think of those who although stout are excellent dancers and those more ideally built who are not.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Haters gonna hate.. as the young peeps like to say

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

And those who do are often ones who hate themselves.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. davedove

davedove Active Member

Barring any "surprise eliminations".:eek:

And quite possibly Jacoby to round out the finalists for sheer charisma.

5. Mr 4 styles

i was hoping for ingo to represent for the guys but not so far

football players tend to do well

6. Jane Rexroad

Jane Rexroad New Member

Why do you think that is - Because they understand how to be coached?

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I thought jacoby had very nice lines for a relative newb who probably has flexibility issues

danceronice likes this.
  8. davedove

davedove Active Member

They understand coaching.
    They are used to doing lots of practice.
    They typically have the discipline to work on something over and over to get it right.
    They have that competitive spirit.

And, perhaps just as important, they often have a good fan base.

debmc and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was highly critical of his cha-cha, but I thought that rumba was a very respectable performance. I can't help but roll my eyes when I see people elsewhere gush about how good his hip action was, but that's not his fault.

10. Mr 4 styles

agree with davedove

that is why olympians do well also

11. fascination

I didn't see his cha....but I was pleasantly surprised about the rumba...believe it or not (and I know this is unusual for me) but I wasn't looking at his hips...I was looking at the lines...not because that is more important but because a lot of the males that have a good deal of muscle mass seem to have trouble with extension (understandable in my book)...having said that, while his motion may not have been stellar, there was enough of it that I wasn't offended...I have seen worse cucurachas from people who have danced far longer

danceronice likes this.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Also consider to what they're comparing it....

13. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

So, they addressed the "men vs. women" debate on the results show. Interesting statistics (women score 0.3 points higher on average than men and have a 6% advantage in perfect scores, but one more man has won the show). In other news, apparently, Kellie will be singing the song for her rumba while dancing Monday...

14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Plus, they're less likely to take comments like "that was crappy" personal. They'd just try to fix it. I don't think the same can be said of a reality TV star, for example.

Brings William Levy to mind. I'm sure the first thing a lot of people noticed was the muscles...some were smitten, I saw a huge disadvantage.

I hope to the heavens and back that she does extensive, complete rehearsals. There are sooooooo many ways in which that could go wrong...

15. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Okay, if nothing else happens tonight, it is redeemed in my eyes because Andy Dick just danced his V-Waltz. Not pranced around with music playing. Actually danced it. It was not spectacular, but it was exponentially if not logarithmically improved over his previous performances (I know, not a difficult task, but still).

fascination likes this.
  16. fascination

he was adorable...zendaya was impressive tonight

Leon Theou likes this.
  17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Zendaya is an awesome dancer and performer, but for that reason, I just can't root for her or Kellie as they started out so good from the beginning. Also I'm not sure i would have clearly identified it as a samba, she is talented enough to truly try to pull off an open gold type samba. More impressive to me was to see the others,.,Sean, Victor, Jacoby...working hard and improving! I still don't really like Ally's dancing....doing a solo gymnast routine when u are a gymnast....well, what can I say? I have to also admit I have grown tired of Andy's emotional angst as well, show after show, but this was the best dancing from him so far. Dl...still not good....but everyone is improving and confidence and showmanship is up all around.

18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Andy's v-waltz. What is Kym Johnson's dance background? Her neckline in frame always looks painful...

And Zendaya's dance was good, but it really did not look like a samba to me. I could see samba figures, but the music didn't help and it just didn't look like a samba.

19. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Kym's background includes a stint as Australian Champion in Amateur Standard. Other than that, I don't know

Also, apparently I misread Derek's writeup of last week's episode as saying that Kellie would be singing. My mind inserted an 's' in front of the word 'he'. :rolleyes:

20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

DL's opinion of foxtrot as a dance was amusing for very different reasons than he intended. It's so cute when newbies talk about what an easy dance it is.

And yeah, Zendaya's samba was a nice enough dance, but it didn't feel much like a samba.

Mr 4 styles likes this.