Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I didn't start out as a big fan of the show, but since I just stumbled on this item, I thought I'd post it.

'Dancing With the Stars' Fires Longtime Band Leader
    5:25 PM PST 2/3/2014 by Jonathan Handel

dancelvr likes this.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Alas, this doesn't mean they'll do any better, especially regarding poor music selections.... but we'll see.
    royclark1951 likes this.
  4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

While I've read many times, here, that the music selections are done by the producers; I've also heard the contestants talk about why the chose a certain song to dance to.
    So, what's the deal on that?
    I think I've grown to like the show more because people seem to be less uber competitive.

And let me add this about the musicians that were just let go. I think that, given the challenges they faced on a weekly basis, that they did pretty well. The challenge being to play something, often with vocals, that captures the essence of the original tune. The more I learn about music, the more I seem to be capable of appreciating how difficult that must be.
    royclark1951 likes this.
  5. Loki

Loki Active Member

Meh. Viewers are fickle so the producers are probably constantly trying to keep the show "fresh".
  6. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

The producers pick the songs, except maybe on the "Personal Story/Year of My Life"-ish themed weeks, when the dances are really personal.

I also gleaned that the pros submit a huge list of songs at the beginning of the season...I don't know if this happens every season. Karina said that her VW with Ralph Macchio was one of the songs she submitted to the producers at the beginning of the season, and she was really hoping and looking forward to dancing to it.

I liked Harold Wheeler. I hope the new guy does well. But if the music selection process remains the same, then not even the London Philharmonic in all its glory can save them.
  7. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

From what I have read, they are trying to play to a younger crowd, and are going to be using "canned" music. So those songs that are not really "right" for the dance can't be customized by the band.

I thought the band was great, but the choice of songs for the style of dance was often in question.

I guess we will see how this season works out.
  8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Erin Andrews will co-host with Tom Bergeron.
  9. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

A lot of people aren't happy about Erin Andrews, but I'm okay with it although I liked Brooke as well. What I'm not okay with is I don't feel like its going to be the same show without a live band. A live band appeals to the live show aspect and canned music just doesn't seem right to me.
    Overall, I get this feeling that producers are in a bubble and can't find their way out. You can change hosts, bands, whatever, but that's not the problem. The ratings for Dancing With The Stars have been going downhill, in my opinion, because they are picking celebrities who already know how to dance. The appeal of the original show was that most of the stars had never danced before. Ordinary people liked to see the progress of the complete beginner because they wanted to believe they can learn to dance too, even if they didn't start as a kid.
    royclark1951 and IndyLady like this.
  10. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Erin Andrews is pretty annoying in the probiotic commercials. Hope she won't be as bad being a co-host... :eek:
  11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

much rather keep brooke she was a champion with derek erin only danced with make
  12. danceronice

Yeah, you'd never notice, what with her slobbering over Derek and whoever he happens to be with this time...at least Erin knows how to do sports interviews.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've read that the Olympic ice dancing champions, Charlie White and Meryl Davis, have expressed interest in being on DWTS. Charlie wants to dance with Julianne, and Meryl wants to dance with Derek.

I think it would be great for generating interest in the show if this were to happen.
  14. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

If we're putting in our wish list of contestants, and we're focusing on Olympians, I'd vote for Bode Miller....:D
  15. danceronice

I would love to see Meryl and Charlie on it, though that would pretty much confirm Worlds is out and they're done. They ARE signed to do "Stars on Ice", but so was Evan. Bet they'd give Meryl to Derek (as he already assisted with their short dance) but my money would be on Charlie and his Hair FTW...
    nikkitta likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

meryl and derek vs charlie and peta

epic battle
  17. lacubs

lacubs Member

and i saw they brought Maksim Chmerkovskiy back
    dancelvr likes this.
  18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Isn't it a bit unfair to have fit ice dancing Olympic champions up against a B list celeb who is 77 years old.... But who said the show was fair and balanced right?
    Loki and debmc like this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

i want to see good dancing
    royclark1951 likes this.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'd rather see the journey from true beginner to good dancer.