Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. lacubs

lacubs Member

what about a 64 years old? in Diana Nyad

2. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

Here's the lineup for Season 18:

- Danica McKellar / Val Chmerkovskiy
    - Cody Simpson / Whitney Carson
    - Billy Dee Williams / Emma Slater
    - Diana Nyad / Henry Byalikov
    - NeNe Leakes / Tony Davolani
    - James Maslow / Peta Murgatroyd
    - Sean Avery / Karina Smirnoff
    - Drew Carey / Cheryl Burke
    - Candace Cameron Bure / Mark Ballas
    - Charlie White / Sharna Burgess
    - Meryl Davis / Max Chmerkovskiy
    - Amy Purdy / Derek Hough

3. davedove

davedove Active Member

Kym's missing again! Oh no!! I knew last season she was judging in Australia, but I haven't heard anything this season.

It's kind of cool that Danica is on. Hope she does well.

It looks like Emma may be getting stuck with the "older" gentlemen now. Billy Dee is a smooth guy, but we'll have to see how he does with the faster dances.

I always liked Drew Carey. I hope Cheryl does well with this "Drew".

Candice always seemed like a sweet person. I hope she doesn't get too upstaged by Mark.

This time there are several contestants that I am not familiar with. That could be good or bad. Sometimes one will surprise me.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Right, because Buzz Aldrin had such a fair field to compete against...(Of course, he CAN still punch out a moon-landing conspiracy theorist...) It's always been stacked against the elderly. At least Tony's not getting completely screwed this time.

OMG, Maks might have a winner..though Charlie has his hair to back him up...not happy Tristan's not on, but he did just get married and might want time off. Not happy Whitney and Emma are. Totally unimpressed with them--I've seen better in Open pro-am events on the am half.

jiwinco likes this.
  5. davedove

davedove Active Member

Now see, I'm willing to give Emma a chance, but that may be because she was such a sweetie when I met her.;)

6. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

who are these people??

IndyLady likes this.
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

To save others the google time (where necessary):

Danica McKeller was Winnie Cooper on the Wonder Years. She also has an Erdos-Bacon number (of 6!), which is incredibly cool.
    Simpson is a singer and their tween-bait for the season.
    Billy Dee Williams is Lando Calrissian.
    Nyad is a long-distance swimmer.
    Leakes is a reality-show "star".
    Maslow is another young singer-actor to try to draw in the young crowd.
    Avery is a retired hockey player.
    Drew Cary is an actor and comedian and hosts The Price is Right.
    Cameron Bure is an actress best known for her time on Full House.
    White and Davis recently won the gold medal in ice dancing at the Olympics.
    Purdy is an actress and competitive snowboard athelete. She's also a double amputee.

8. lacubs

lacubs Member

i read on a web site "ABC calls the twist “The Switch Up” and says “America will be given the power to vote and change celebrities and professional dance pairings. This new rule will affect all couples as they will be required to switch partners at a point in the season. Never before have dance partnerships been split up during the course of competition.”

9. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I LOVE Davis/White, but I think their selection for the show is a whole new level of unfair. There have been dancers on the show, but these are Olympic gold medalists who cross train with ballroom dance for their own sport.

Will I be watching them, though? Of course I will.

Dancing Irishman, Purr and debmc like this.
  10. danceronice

Eh....I don't think it is quite the same type of training that they give someone who is going to dance on the floor (or minored in dance...Nicole kinda killed the "no ringers" thing for the rest of time.) Use of the feet is so different in skates. I know someone who teaches some of the AA/Canton skaters and they obviously go in with priorities other than footwork. Plus you're not really leading/following in ice dance, you're in a different kind of hold (see the razors strapped to your feet.)

Not to mention none of y'all ballroom-only people have to do a dance called the Hickory Hoedown. (This is actually one of the less-annoying choices for this CD.)

And of course, this is our idea of a samba in ice dance:

Though watching all these videos they should have ZERO problem getting down into their knees.

11. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

thanks for saving me the Google time. I always liked Winnie Cooper!

12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

but can they straighten them? :p

13. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Huh....are you familiar with Nene Leakes?

Agreed.

14. danceronice

Enough to know she's not geriatric. Which is, for Tony, about as good as it gets. Though I suppose he has one win, all-stars or not. Maks is the one who's really, really due. Though considering...Meryl's TINY. Like pair-skater tiny. (Ice dancers are not normally the teeny girls.) Maks is not short. Smooth/Standard is going to require compromise on SOMEONE's part!

dancelvr and slhull.13 like this.
  15. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

This is definitely true....however their knowledge of partnering, dance performance, general pace, and not to mention arm styling puts them at a significant advantage. I guess it's not all THAT different from dancers they've had in the past, but when the star's background sport has a whole short program dedicated to the quickstep, foxtrot, etc, it makes you wonder...

debmc likes this.
  16. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Eh, they'll just give her 3" heels. That should put her up to 5'6, right? ;)

17. danceronice

Personally I question her official height. I think they're measuring in her skates. (Heck, I've seen Charlie in person in street shoes and I would have guessed shorter than 5'9"...)

slhull.13 likes this.
  18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Don't forget "...and have been coached on their dance elements by various recognized ballroom Pros." o_O

slhull.13 and debmc like this.
  19. danceronice

Have you watched those? It's really nothing at all like ballroom music or timing or foot/body use. I went skating --> ballroom and some of the music is a culture shock. Also Standard in particular really broke my brain in how close you have to be and how much less you're your own driver when you're dancing. Lead and follow is really weird when you're used to really having your own steps that you do on your own with your own timing. They probably will be more familiar with having SEEN ballroom, but also with how much it's not ice dance at all. (It's hard to explain the difference in how it feels without DOING it. I was trying to explain twizzles to NP the other day and had the same issue. It's also hard to show on the floor--in many ways skating's so much more free. I love the flying...)

I don't know, it's funny how ballroom people think they know how skating translates and skating people think they know ballroom...reading both forums on the same topics is always entertaining.

20. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

No....Nene is not geriatric. However, she is an obnoxious, screeching, big-mouthed weave with an attitude. And, she has one of the most annoying voices in the history of voices. Here's hoping she tones things down, and learns to move.

And I agree about Maks. He's totally due for a win! As far as height differences....heh.....I'd be more than willing to make those compromises. ;)

Sania, Purr and nikkitta like this.