Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but is the " " placement

"Dancing" with the Stars

Dancing with the "Stars"

or

"Dancing" with the "Stars"?

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Any athlete has an advantage, in a way.

Any one who has spent a large amount of time executing choreographed movements of any sort to music has an advantage, in a way.

Anyone who already knows that you don't bring the same attitude or emotion to Waltz of the Flowers that you bring to O Fortuna has an advantage, in a way.

Anyone who is very familiar with Espana Cani (I'm talking to you, Mr. Lysacek) has an advantage, in a way.

Anyone who already knows that the movement of your arms is a continuation of your body's movement has an advantage, in a way.

Any one who can already perform multiple spins, or the pot stirrer, spot them perfectly, and stop on a dime has an advantage, in a way.

Any one who already knows that a body remains balanced as long as the center remains above the base has an advantage, in a way.

I could go on and on. I'm sure you get my drift, though.

debmc likes this.
  3. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Danica McKellar already has ballroom experience.

(2:30)

slhull.13 and hereKittyKitty like this.
  4. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I was surprised to see Nene. I sometimes like her on Housewives of Atlanta, but recently stopped watching that show because she was so out of control (I'm from the ATL so that says a lot!) I mean sometimes she can be downright hilarious and other times, downright dirty. We'll see. I'm not really sure what to expect:meh:

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Maks cant win unless he dances with himself its the only partner that wont piss him off....too much

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm in the group that says being a champion ice dancer just has to give you a huge advantage....athleticism, grace, timing , musicality, choreography, partnering, posture, poise, balance....need I go on?

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Billy Dee was so much more than Lando Calrissian......in my youth he was one of the top leading men, sex symbol and actor.

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Wow, was this you tube video before she was picked? She clearly then has ballroom experience! Isn't that one of DWTS's absolutes...that you have to at least not have ballroom dance experience?

slhull.13 likes this.
  9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

The video was uploaded in 2008. The actual footage may date back to 2006.

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

So she could have almost ten years ballroom experience?

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I know, but you have to understand - I'm a tremendous geek.

nikkitta likes this.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lol....and I am so old I remember what people were originally famous for!

13. ajiboyet

This is just WRONG. Danica's ballroom closed hold posture is REALLY GOOD already. She dances a decent jive too. WTH???

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've never ice skated. But here's my take on Charlie and Meryl competing.

1) they compete in ice dancing, which tends to imply they've received some dance training, perhaps not ballroom but something, off the ice.
    2) they are used to participating in a partner activity, in some kind of hold; might not be the same as ballroom, but it's a better starting point than going through the whole points of contact and "you want me to be how close" discussion with a non dancer.
    3) they are in great shape, and must have a lot of leg stregnth; past history tends to suggest that skaters do well (read: Kristy, ice skating and Apollo, speed skating).
    4) they are used to long hours of practicing to develop performance routines
    5) they are used to the whole hair/makeup/costume experience
    6) they are used to performing in front of a crowd
    7) they just won an Olympic gold medal (and didn't they get a bronze medal for the team event, too?), people like them and know who they are; see past history comment in #3.

I'd say all of the above gives them a tremendous advantage. Just my .02 cents worth.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what Charlie does with the quickstep, and Meryl the waltz. :)

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, they definitely have, I know pros who teach the AA/Canton area skaters. The one time I've seen Charlie and Meryl in person was when Igor and Marina were still coaching together and brought a bunch of their skaters to MDC to watch the pro Latin. (All skating-board people: "Oh, God, Igor's doing another 'Latin' theme..") But, again, remember what they actually do is totally different from the waist down, most critically in the feet. My point is not they don't have advantages (so did Kristi, Apolo, Evan, and every other athlete including the paralympian-don't count her out, I've heard of at least one other non-star, non-tv student with two prosthetic legs) but they aren't at any more advantage and in the case of Nicole probably less of one than all the other dance-trained people. They've been training to be ice dancers. Not ballroom dancers.

I suspect, though, especially given they've been with Russian coaches for sixteen years, there'll be one huge difference with them (that again is common to athletes, not even the dancer-trained actor/singer etcs): I bet they are not going to whine about how harrrrrrd it is. And given how much vitriol they've had thrown at them this quadrennial I doubt they're going to have too much trouble with any "They keep calling us ringers, it's no fair, don't they know how harrrrrrrrrd this has been?" (If you can't tell, I hated Nicole and her attempts to make it look tough. No one cares, buttercup. stink it up. You were a dance professional and with the most popular pro and gifted high scores the whole time. Dancers don't whine.) After basically being called jerks, cheaters, boring, non-talented, overscored, for about four years up to L'Equipe accusing the US and Russian federations of vote-trading to get D/W the gold and the Russian ladies and pairs their golds (BEFORE the Games started), I doubt this is going to faze them.

And popular? I hope so. But I don't think that much. Even US sports media can't keep dance and pairs straight. Here the big thing is Ladies if people know skating at all. (Which was especially silly this year as we had basically nothing.) If anything hopefully doing DWTS will actually make people realize ice dance exists and right now it's the US's best discipline in skating. (We've never been able to compete in pairs with the Russian juggernaut and China's program plus Canada sometimes sneaking a good pair in, we don't really have any world-beaters coming through the pipeline in men's right now, and we haven't had any ladies who really could break through. Four years is a long time to see if Gold and Edmonds hold together. Dance? We've got a whole feeder system now.)

Purr likes this.
  16. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I can definitely concede that ballroom dance and ice dancing, for all their similarities, have significant challenges all their own. I DID, however, hear in an interview that the top ice dancing couples frequently used ballroom dance as cross-training, which means that they've been trained on ballroom technique, not just ice dancing technique.

To me it doesn't really matter--I think they're going to be really fun to watch and I'm pretty excited for this season! Even if the rest of the cast isn't exactly thrilling, I think the dramatic new twist they have planned is going to create a lot of drama/intrigue on the show.

What does everyone think of the mid season change-up? (Voters will have the opportunity to pair the stars up with different pros at some point during the season)

17. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Yep, her frame is already very good, and so is her jive.

18. ajiboyet

I think so too.

I think Danica's ballroom history will come out, and will create some bad blood, and will get people talking...

19. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Oh...how funny. I recognize that Pro. I've always wanted to take a lesson with him.

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's going to hurt a lot more than using it as cross training.

And THAT'S who she is, the math girl. I never watched The Wonder Years, I've just seen her on things like memes about actresses who are also smart.