Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I don't know who these people are, except Meryl and Charlie....it should be a fun season....I am looking forward to watching Diane Nyad....the swimmer...just being fit does not mean you can dance...

2. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

It's the new Dancing with the Stars people. So what if she's got a good frame and a decent jive. How's her contemporary? hip-hop? bollywood?

Billy Dee Williams was great as Gale Sayers in the made for TV movie "Brian's Song", which also starred James Caan.

IndyLady likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LMAO and good point duffypratt next russian folk dancing

maybe then maks will win:eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Somebody else looks good already.
    petajames.jpg

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Sharna talks about working with Charlie:

http://www.wetpaint.com/dancing-wit...rivalry?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Needless to say I especially like what Sharna says about Charlie--the upper body is good, "everything from the waist down is the exact opposite." Thank you, can I have that notarized to show to ever coach who makes terrible skating analogies about Standard? (Sure, it would be the same...if I never really "rose" precisely, stayed on my heel, and the floor's coeficient of friction was approaching zero...)

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  6. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Hi all. I have a question about Amy Purdy. I don't know a lot about prosthetic legs. Can they fully execute the small footwork details of ballroom dancing (ball, toe, ball-flat, heel-flat, etc)?

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm still unconvinced DOI...tho I don't doubt your personal experience. Whenever there are 'ringers' on DWTS, they usually start claiming early on something along the line of 'this is so different than the kind of dancing I've done before'...as they solidly land in the top.

ajiboyet likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

amy purdy is a below the knee amputee btw

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I was wondering how it might be for Meryl to dance with Max, who can be a bit, shall we say, volatile, or maybe challenging. After reading your comment, I figured maybe she'd just take whatever he had to say in stride, and get on with the program.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

exactly.....after a while you just get used to that sort of atmosphere....that being said, it is one thing to take it when you are training for something as important as the olympics, it is quite another thing to take it for entertainment purposes...however, she will likely not get too much of his rough edge because she already has the sort of work ethic that he would expect....

Purr and danceronice like this.
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I think some underestimate how ingrained the very eastern trait of not expecting praise for minor achievements can get. I had zero problem working with a pro who some people find scary mostly because he doesn't say a lot unless he's correcting you--"good" is about as good as it gets. And I find it very weird to get lots of positive reinforcement over what I feel are minor accomplishments. I realize on examination that's because, while he's British and they have a similar habit of correcting more than praising, I'm Polish and Ukrainian and in our family that's just normal. I don't always LIKE the Russian dance or skating moms, but I don't find them all that MEAN. It's just normal to correct, not praise unless something's really good. If Meryl and Charlie've spent 16 years with Igor and Marina, I doubt Maks is really going to faze Meryl that much as he doesn't seem to get bad unless the girl's being a real brat.

Dean and Purr like this.
  12. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't doubt at all that everything below the waist is completely different. But she also mentions (unsurprisingly) that his lines and posture are good, and I don't think it can be overstated how huge an advantage it is to start learning ballroom with posture already fully ingrained.

13. fascination

they also understand alot about balance and connection....also huge advantage.....simply huge advantages all around...posture, lines, partnering, balance, presentation, musicality, work ethic, understanding of learning, self awareness of their own bodies....and on and on and on

ajiboyet, Purr and debmc like this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, I think SYTYCD is a great example that when one understands the principles of dance and body movement, it can successfully be translated across a variety of dance styles.

15. Cal

Cal Active Member

I agree that elite athletes most likely have a more realistic expectation about the kind of work ethic and methods that are expected for optimal training than some other types of celebrities. But your comment about training for entertainment purposes triggered a thought (granted, a very cynical thought on my part): these Stars get PAID to have Pros teach them and point out areas that are deficient and the Stars get PAID to have the judges critique them. If the Stars don't like that, they can try doing it the "true pro/am way" and PAY to have their Pro teach them and point out deficiencies, and they can PAY to compete and have the judges put them directly at the bottom of the line-up. Heh - if someone paid me to take lessons with my Pro and paid me to compete, you wouldn't hear too many comments from me about how "tough" it is!

16. fascination

I hear your point....that being said, I think the difference is that most of us who take lessons are not stars or champions of anything....we are aspiring...I think when a star is paid, and percieves themself as the primary reason for the popularity of the show they may tend to see themself on a far more equal footing in some respects, than an average student walking into a studio....now, I would assume that elite athletes would have respect for accomplished professionals in any field...but I am not certain that that is always the case because some may also have grown accustomed to the red carpet treatment ...which of course I would never expect on a lesson....admittedly, there may be some studios that cater to students who want that.... but they seem rare....

17. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

SYTYCD dancers often bomb in Ballroom/Latin... at least to our trained eyes.

And the DWTS judges tend to be harder on those who start out looking good, as I suspect Charlie and Meryl will. Judges will get picky about their performance or chemistry or pointed toe or heel lead, whereas with the floundering "stars", this is overlooked.

18. fascination

well, how they will be judged and how they will actually do are two different issues

19. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, DWTS is a tv show. In the end, their goal is to get ratings. Having whining, complaining and otherwise dramatic celebrities does make for good television.

ajiboyet likes this.