Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what Nicole had, only without the muscle-memory conflict in legs and body rotation (since I started reteaching myself figures and MITF I'm remembering how much you rotate your body and hip check in ways that just don't make sense unless you're traveling on an edge, but are just totally reasonable if you are.) Or lack of pretty feet-their poses in the pictures are kind of making me cringe! (That and someone please get Charlie pants that fit.) They're at no significant advantage over anyone else who's come in with dance training--Nicole, Kelly and her cheerleading, Jennifer Grey. Heck, math girl from Wonder Years has been taking actual ballroom lessons for months before she even got asked for DWTS-there's your actual ringer. The whole omg they're such ringers because they're ice *dancers* is just silly.

And I think the reason some people get whiny, while the athletes (and the "out there" celebs with real jobs like Buzz Aldrin, Ty Murray and Bill Nye) take criticism and correction well is with actors, also "star" singers/entertainers and especially the reality-show non-actors who are on TV because..tv..., you're dealing with people who often do get showered with praise by the people around them and rewarded for relatively easy accomplishments (or with reality shows no real accomplishments at all), and especially if they're currently hot, they're not used to hearing "Not good enough, do it again" when they THINK they're trying. When most of your feedback in life is positive reinforcement and you keep hearing you're talented, running into someone who is just not impressed with you is probably a shock.
  2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree... They are not ringers because they are 'ice' dancers, they are ringers because they are dancers. I think math Wonder years lady will be a ringer too with what appears to be several years of solid ballroom training but I am sure she will also claim 'this is different'.
  3. danceronice

I hope not because in her case that's just a blatant lie, worse than Nicole trying to sell how terribly, terribly hard it all was. One interview so far I've seen showed her dancing and it's definitely not different--unless of course they front-load her with contemporary, hip-hop and whatever other weird non partner styles they can come up with. Hopefully she's smart enough to not try the "this is so much harder" routine. But I note they gave her to Val--with Meryl currently at 3/2 in Vegas and there in part to lure Maks back, what they might be hoping for is a finals as a Chmerkovsky Brothers showdown.
  4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm kind of assuming they'll downplay the quantity of instruction that she received rather than suggesting it was fundamentally different (although it probably was - she was probably actually taught how to dance). Assuming the show doesn't manage to avoid the topic entirely.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Where do you find the information about the Vegas odds? So Meryl's the favorite so far?
  6. danceronice

Someone linked to it from FSU on the latest Davis/White fan thread. At the moment, Meryl was the prohibitive favorite* (in pari-mutuel terms) at 3-2, with Charlie second at 3-1, and the next-highest Aussie singer, Wonder Years and someone else all at 6-1. Longest shots was I think they were offering 33-1 on Diana Nyad and Drew Carey.

(*Prohibitive meaning not unbeatable but for gamblers not worth the effort to walk to the window.)
  7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

My thought as well. I recognize maybe half. But I've found "Strictly" on the Net, so I doubt I'll watch DWTS anyway.
  8. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

NeNe Leakes .....check! She's gonna be a doozy!
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Is she the one dancing with Tony? I saw a clip of her on Extra, which highlighted she's known for exotic (pole) dancing. Tony said he was going to use all of that. :jawdrop:
  10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

HA! That would be her:eek:
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Oh no!
  12. danceronice

Maybe Tony figures if this train is headed for a wreck he might as well drive it off the cliff sooner rather than later.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Tony does seem to get his share of terrible partners. I have no idea about NeNe, though. In the Extra clip, I think she said her first dance is cha cha, and she looked like she had some moves. We'll see how it goes, she might last awhile.

I have to think Max figured he hit the dance partner lotto when he drew Meryl.
  14. Cal

Cal Active Member

Isn't it all supposed to change when they do the Switch Up? After that point in the show is reached, Tony could be dancing with Meryl, and Max could wind up with NeNe. I'm wondering if that new "twist" might encourage viewers to vote even more for the Pros than for the Stars. I'll wait with interest to find out.
  15. danceronice

I would suspect Meryl will go to Derek because of course, who else? Nene seems to think she'll get Maks when the switch happens because she's tall and that might be a fair bet. And of course have they said that it's for one episode or the rest of the show?
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

We're all assuming that Meryl will be around for the switch up. It would be interesting if her, and Charlie too, go out early.

No matter what a star scores, the public still has to vote for them. Of course, Max is a popular pro, so that should help Meryl.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

For laughs, I searched "Max Meryl Dancing With Stars". One article tagline said Max is so very happy with Meryl and wants to marry her. Too funny. :rolleyes:
  18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

He actually said something like that in a video posted on Facebook. But it was obviously a joke.
  19. danceronice

He was sort of teasing her/tactfully asking if she and Charlie are dating (they're not, she's dating a coach's son, Charlie's been with Tanith Belbin for like six years). And he looked so happy when she did an underarm turn and was like "On one foot or two feet?" No arguing, no dizziness, no stumbling...Maks looked about as gleeful as I've ever seen.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I know. What I took out of it was Max was happy he drew Meryl as a partner - great potential, hard worker, less potential for drama. :);)
    ajiboyet likes this.