Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Supposedly (and it's from People, so take it for what it's worth) Maks calls her "princess" and is pretty much beside himself having a hard-working athlete in peak condition.

Derek's film should be interesting--because of the Crimea/Ukraine situation the film crew couldn't get visas for Russia so he had to fly to Sochi alone to train with Amy during the Paralympics, so they gave him a camera and were like "Do what you can." He apparently had lots of time to sightsee and befriended a stray dog but it seems he couldn't bring him home (come on! That one skiier made it happen for a dog and five puppies!)

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

3. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Danica is TOTALLY a ringer. I had one coaching session with Gocha and Shorena and my dancing improved so much after just one coaching! But the thing is, I don't care that she is a ringer. I am maybe secretly rooting for Meryl or Charlie to beat her because of it, but I say bring on the good dancing! I'm very excited to see the premiere tonight.

Now that I think about it, it was probably ABC themselves wo resurfaced the old 20/20 video of Danica to generate the buzz. Kudos! Lol

kckc likes this.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Well, good dancers get eliminated because they for whatever reason do not connect with the voters. That may be the case here. Time will tell.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting so far. Nene shows that confidence adds a lot, Peta and James have the whole 'will they date' thing, Danica and Meryl danced as we thought they would based on prior dance training, didn't care for hockey player, felt bad that a Billy Dee couldn't really pull it off due to age/ surgeries...and surprisingly excellent debut from Candace!!

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Rest of the show: Cody..ok, Drew and Diana ...very likeable with potential, Amy...inspirational, Charlie..fabulous.

So...I would say that yes....the ice dancers did have an advantage and they were great to watch!

I think final four will be ice dancers, Danica and Candace.

I also thought Erin was a better host than Brooke, and all in all, it looks like an interesting season!

7. kckc

kckc Active Member

most of the show was just irritating to me, I think because after all of the off-season turmoil with the band, absolutely nothing has changed- the music still sucks with the exception of a few actually recognizable tunes (not the band's fault). Throw in the unknown teeny-boppers and contemporary dance style and I was cranky there for a while. The show was finally redeemed when Diana performed an actual ballroom-y foxtrot.

I'm digging the obvious choices- Meryl, Charlie, Candace and Danica. James might do well also. I have erased most of the rest from memory.

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Erin is screaming into the mike in a monotone there is no football game in the background sheesh

9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Charlie is far and away my favorite so far, in part because it's easier to be forgiving when I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to see (ie watching contemporary). Wasn't really a fan of Diana, but I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a slow fox on the show...it's hard to keep a dance that requires the utmost of poise and control interesting when it's lacking those key elements.

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

charlie meryl candace and amy final four

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

So Charlie White ties with Kristi Yamaguchi and Amber Riley for the highest week 1 score ever.

I laugh in Esperanto.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Charlie and Meryl were on the Ellen show yesterday. They said the expected that ice dancing isn't the same as ballroom dancing. It was something along the lines of their pros has high expectations, then they took a step, and their pros said "oh". Charlie came across as very likeable in the interview. Meryl looked very poised.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

did not care for erin at all...not even a little bit

Mr 4 styles, sbrnsmith and IndyLady like this.
  14. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

1) Did anyone else think that the entire show was just........awkward? No particular moment stood out or anything, but it felt like there were just so many things to feel awkward about. I kept cringing and closing my eyes to pretend that this wasn't all happening on live television.
    --I lied. One of these moments being when Erin pushed really, REALLY hard for Sean and Katrina to explain how they got their inspiration from Footloose.
    2) Maks is hilarious with how much he is "into" this partnership with Meryl. It's adorable.
    3) It's only been one episode but I think they were really reaching for music today. The two best songs were Drew's and Diana'....and that's because they are recognizable ballroom tunes.
    4) I know there's plenty of Derek love/hate to go around, but I think he's the perfect man for the job to deal with Amy's unique circumstances.
    5). What did Mark do to his hair..............
    6) Charlie was my take-away favorite. Did anyone else catch that he and Sharna did the Davis/White signature lift?
    7) I have a special place in my heart for Tony...so I'm glad that NeNe will at least make it interesting this season. Perhaps he'll get paired with one of the ringers after the switch-up?

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I thought that point number one was the reason for the awkwardness through the entire show...the rest seemed fine ...but she was pushing too hard... too abrasive...said things that made people she was talking to wonder what she was thinking.....yuck...maybe she will settle down....I am sure someone will be having a talk with her this week

16. danceronice

We've already been commenting since the rehearsal about Charlie/Sharna..."Isn't that 'Samson and Delilah"? Sorry, though, I still hate contemporary. But if someone had to lift me give me ice dancers any day. When they drop you they apologize even when it's your fault.

I loved Meryl's speed and turns--funny, though, her knee never quite straightens and like Bruno said, her knees are always a bit apart...skating thing? I do the same thing and now I'm skating again I'm fighting against small steps and I mechanically HAVE to keep my feet farther apart. ADORE her spins and huzzah for expression!

Did someone tell Val and Danica that they're supposed to do foxtrot, not cha cha? She was good, but she's been dancing ballroom a while now.

...Not liking Mark and Candace. Awkward and silly. But again, hate contemporary and don't consider lying on the floor fake-running dance content.

Drew--well, if you know you're the comic relief, go for it. Also major props to his weight loss because DAMN, that's Drew Carey?!?

(I'm not sure what it says that so far in the youtube "suggested videos the only ones who have not come up at all are Cody and Amy.)

So far I guess Diana or Billy Dee is going home--probably Diana because what yawner. I quit watching before it was done because if I want to see sketchy foxtrot I can look in the studio mirror during a lesson, and someone tell Henry this is not Blackpool, this is TV, there are closeups, dial the goofy smile down. Billy Dee sadly looked his age, but good sport for going for what he has to realize is the only film role anyone really remembers him for. Plus obviously ABC's overlords at the House of Mouse need to plug their new property and upcoming films. Though being 76...George Takei was on Conan last night demonstrating how he stays fit at 76. This year Star Wars, next year Star Trek?

Had to actively hunt down Cody. So is this guy like the budget Aussie Bieber? Not impressed with him, not really sold on Whitney either.

Finally found Amy's cha. Like her dancing for what it is (obviously the foot articulation can't be taken into account.) Liked her better than Danica or Candace for sure. Wish Derek would get over his fixation with Yulia's old "The Beat" costume and stop putting his girls in it, it's getting old. Routine itself was kind of boring and too much grinding a la ballroom but I'm not sure what limitations there were.

Did I miss anyone? I'm having to watch on line since I work when it's on.

Oh, I repressed my memory of Nene. ....God love you, Tony, you work with what they give you.

17. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

It's not that bad to take someone else's costume. It's way better than taking someone else's routine AND costume. I'm talking to you, Mr. Ballas.

Plus, have there been a lot of Derek's partners in that costume?

18. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I had zero problems with Amy's costuming. I mean the fringe pants were perfect for the cha cha and perfect for a woman with 2 prosthetic legs. Sheesh. I expect they will have her in skirts and dresses most of the time but I can forgive fringe pants on her. I would imagine that it helped her nerves a bit to wear pants for her very first dance.

I loved Charlie and Candace, but I will be curious to see how they both do in an actual ballroom dance.

I thought Meryl was great but I did notice her bent knees (meaning they had to be bent and obvious for a good deal of the dance for me to notice).

And honestly, Danica was not that impressive for someone who has had years of ballroom training. I was expecting more. Perhaps she was nervous and will improve dramatically in her next few dances.

My picks to go out first: Diana (sp?, maybe Diane), Billy Dee, the hockey player (his personality, while definitely made for tv, was off-putting), and then perhaps Drew or the real house wife.

My picks for the final four: Meryl, Charlie, Candace, and Danica. Though one of those could be ousted by Amy but we'll have to see how she does in the smooth dances, etc.

ajiboyet likes this.
  19. danceronice

At least two, maybe three. I'm really over it.

20. danceronice

It doesn't need to be a copy of Yulia's gold "Hip Hip Chin Chin" costume, which Brooke already wore and IIRC at least one other of his girls. Seriously, there are other looks and tops even with the pants genre which I would assume we'll be seeing a lot of (though I don't remember what they did with Jonathan's girl with one leg. Ex-Mrs. Paul the Beatle, I think? Heather something.)