Dancing with the Stars - Week 1

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jun 3, 2005.

?

Who Is Your Week 1 Favorite?

1. Joey McIntyre and Ashly DelGrosso - Cha Cha

100.0%
  2. Jonathan Roberts and Rachel Hunter - Amer Waltz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Evander Holyfield and Edyta Sliwinska - Cha Cha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgensen - Cha Cha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Alec Mazo and Kelly Monaco - Amer Waltz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Louis van Amstel and Trista Sutter - Amer Waltz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the average woman does not look like the typical playmate, but that's often what a typical guy imagines the typical woman to look like naked. that places a pretty unreasonable expectation on women.
  2. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I think I set this poll to expire sometime today, so it looks like John/Charlotte are the leaders (according to the Dance-Forums viewer poll).

Thanks for voting :)
  3. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

To the extent that it's having any effect, my guess is that it's hurting.

I don't think we're ever going to see a significant percentage of the general population doing pro-am competition - it's just too expensive. I think the number of viewers of this show that jump up and go to the local dance studio to plunk down their $10,000 so they can dance like the celebrities in this competition will be small. The format of the show doesn't at all encourage viewers to think of themselves in the place of the dancers - in fact, the use of celebrities and professionals practically screams, "these people are nothing like you, the viewer". This isn't the image ballroom needs if it is to become an everyday activity.

What would be good for ballroom dancing would be for lots of ordinary people - by which I mean millions, not thousands - to learn enough ballroom to handle themselves socially and dance regularly. I think that takes an entirely different kind of publicity, and a different approach to teaching, as well.

That said, even a very small fraction of the viewers going in to studios and signing up for pro-am lessons will be a noticeable boost from the studios' perspective.
  4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Some people might think "if he can do it, I can do it." Who knows?

When I meet people and they find out I dance, they always say "oh, I used to watch that on tv" and they genuinely enjoyed watching it. I think if dancing gets more airtime, it certainly can't hurt.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I do think that the attitudes portrayed by the dance pros will not be a plus for ballroom in the US. (Yes, I understand that the attitudes were, to a great extent, cutting room caricatures. But most people watching probably don't know that. :? )
  6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I often get the same reaction - and the show that they "used to watch" was always PBS' "Championship Ballroom Dancing". I agree that show was a good influence: it presented dancing in a sympathetic, positive way, and helped the general public view the activity sympathetically.

This show presents ballroom rather less sympathetically - witness the fact that they are willing to edit all context from quotes to get more "sound bite" impact. If we get to the point where this show shapes the general public's views, people will be making a lot of negative assumptions - for example, they'll probably assume that your instructor is an egocentric guy who thinks he's god's gift to women, since the show seems to portray all male instructors that way. Instead of the generally sympathetic response we got from viewers of the PBS show when we mention that we're ballroom competitors, we're going to get knowing smirks based on false assumptions.

I would also note that even "Championship Ballroom Dancing" only resulted in lots of people remarking "I've seen that", not lots of people remarking "yeah, I'm a dancer too because of that show".
  7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't think that was a wise choice. They seem to be attempting to add some "flavor" to the show to make it appealing and I think that was a backfire. Perhaps a little competitive banter between the pros would have been a little more endearing.

I agree on the PBS thing, too, not having people run out and sign up. I think the new program advertised on the Yankee Classic webpage (some kind of boot camp) might be a little better at getting people to take a stab at it. They'll be able to relate to those people a lot better.
  8. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Even though ballroom dancing in the popular media may not result in individuals actually taking up the sport, it can benefit the industry anyway, in the same way there are football/baseball fans that are NOT going to (or be able to) play for the Raiders or Dodgers, or even on their local community softball team. Those that actually do the sport gain celebrity, endorsements and respect, so those of us have have chosen to be the dancers could actually aspire to being on trading cards someday ;).

I would not be surprise if already Jonathan Roberts or Louis van Amstel are starting to get chased by fans at Starbucks (if they can recognize Louis w/o his pony tail splint).
  9. robin

robin New Member

I have no idea what exactly the PBS show included, but given the title, i would assume it showed professional or at least top amateur ballroom dancing. I could imagine that that sort of show would not result in people wanting to take up dancing, because:

- it was probably watched primarily by the over 50s...
    - and a much smaller audience than DWTS 13 million.
    - it was pretty dull to the uninitiated
    - it gave the impression "it's something I could never learn"
    - it showed dancing as something very serious and difficult and for "experts", rather than fun and enjoyable for everyone

DWTS is totally different in all those respects. Firstly, it appears to be very popular. Due to the celebrities and the voting, it is discussed on national media, and if the US is anything like the UK also in the workplace/school/home/... It has strong appeal with younger audiences probably more than any other previous ballroom dancing programme.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. In the UK we got newspaper articles about dancing, about how it's good for your health, how dancers are really young and fit and attractive, etc. etc. You had some of the celebrities saying how it was the best thing they done in their lives, how they'd keep doing it, how much fun it was etc. etc.

One thing I think is important to bear in mind, is that rather than changing people's perception of ballroom dancing, for a lot of people it'll be the first time they even *think* about it. Since the show has been on in the UK I have not met one person who couldn't associate anything with the terms ballroom or latin american dancing... Before the show that was probably the majority response!!
  10. wyllo

wyllo New Member

This is a great time to get ballroom in the media and I can tell you from experience that your local newspaper would love it if you sent them a story idea about ballroom that has a timely tie-in. If you know a couple that met in a ballroom dance class or a high school that teaches ballroom dance - call or e-mail the city editor of your town's paper and tell them about it. The small to medium papers are always looking for stories about local people doing interesting things.

You don't have to send a formal press release, just send a note saying you saw this show on ABC which reminded you of some local dancers. If you can give them specific contact info. like names and phone numbers you will increase the chances of the paper following up on the story.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.