Dancing with your instructor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SuzieQ, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

So, #200 . . . is that DSC04200??? . . . like the last one in Potraits??? A redhead???

Which one are you in???

Looks like it was a great event . . .
  2. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

My computer doesn't show the pictures right--I have to go to the slide show to see them, so Gretchen's is #200--almost to the end--she has on a hot pink short dress.
    She's also in #20 with our teacher and #97 and #158 with her two students.

I'm in #1 and #2 with my teacher, and in #177 with my husband--black top/pink skirt.
  3. nikita

nikita New Member

I did 2 different classes/dances with my instructor. In one class I can dance with him like with nobody else. Feel completely free and can forget about everything around me. But when it comes to Salsa my blood seems to freeze and I am stucked on the floor:(. It's like this since 3 years now and I don't think that it will ever change.
    Then I have another instructor who teached me my first Salsa steps. With him I can play like with a child and do all the crazy things.
  4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

What do you think makes the difference between the two?
  5. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I also rarely social dance with my teacher.

She is one of my favorite partners because she is the best dancer in the area, but I feel that it's more productive to dance "in the wild." Then go back during the lessons and fix what didn't work so well.

The fear on my part is that I would get too spoiled dancing with her more than once or twice during a social.
  6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'd love to see the pictures! Can you please like pm me the links or post them here if you can?
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

SuzieQ,
    The slideshow does not move for me, so I went through a lot of pics looking for black tops/pink skirts . . .

I opened "portraits," and there is a woman with long blonde hair and hooped earrings in a black top/pink skirt with black trim . . . you???

I saw another blonde with a black top/pink waltz skirt . . . ???

Don't know why I'm assuming you are blonde.
  8. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

No, I'm not a blonde. Don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not! I'll try to look at the pictures at home and get you better directions!
  9. africana

africana New Member

yep used to be super nervous around my first instructor partly cos he was a complete hottie :p
  10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm always complimenting if it's deserved, and I'm just especially partial to blondes . . .

I'd appreciate it, as I'd love to see the pics . . . and everything I've done is with "no success."
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh really?:cool:
  12. nikita

nikita New Member

Hi SuzieQ-
    that's a very good question. In fact, I never thought about it.
    I have no clue, why it is like this. But with the other one it is exactly the other way around. Salsa works. But no other dance:)
  13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

o-o-o-o-o-oh, yes!!!
  14. jhpark

jhpark Member

I'm jealous of the follows on this thread. Your instructor can push you and lead you to do stuff you haven't done before, challenging you. Mine can only be a perfect follow so I can figure out what's going on with my lead. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair...
  15. fascination

something is wrong there then ...IMO...a good female instructor can reverse roles and show you precisely how to do the same thing (hasn't she ever made you be the girl and shown you how to do your part that way?)... and she can also back lead like mad afterwards to make sure you do it that way as well...just wondering...dont mean to disrespect your pro
  16. jhpark

jhpark Member

Yes, but I'm talking about a social dancing context, not instruction. She does that stuff when she's teaching me, but not during social dancing.

Also, I'm not very good at following a move and figuring out how to lead it. I'm hoping that'll come with time. I can at least feel the difference between 'this is how you're doing it and this is how i'd do it', and how much more comfortable it feels her way.
  17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yes that's true, and you know that I had both privates yesterday from both instructors and loved every minute of it! Both of them pushed me, but now I feel so comfortable about going up on stage Saturday that I wonder why I posted the nerves thread to begin with!!!

And the thing is too is that the one went over our steps that I didn't get like a hundred times each last night. I am doing a really fast improvised Swing, and we had to practice our turns. Well, one of them is the move where he turns around then I turn around with both hands but like very fast. (I'm not too sure what it's called?) I couldn't get it, because it was so fast and made my feet stumble. Well, now I get it and I feel much better about doing our solo than ever before. So now I feel bad about complaining on this thread, but at the same time I was so frustrated and had to let it out somewhere lol!

Oh and to let you know that we are taught at our studio to lead and follow. At our privates (as well as group and party sessions) my instructors will show me their footwork and expect me to do them too as well as my own. I had one of them tell me that they understood their steps much better once they learned how to do both. And he also said that the best dancers know how to lead and follow. Is there anyone else that you can go to? You might want to try someone new out if you can. ;)
  18. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I'm glad you had good lessons last night! You looked like you were having fun when I came in!
    In regard to changing teachers--I would suggest you check out the thread in the Ballroom Forum about Teaching at AM--particularly in regard to "six week wonders." Don't want to get too specific here, but I'll talk to you later!
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks SuzieQ! I was having fun, but sweating up a storm. Yeah and that's another thing, why is it that he doesn't brake a sweat? I felt really bad for him for having to put up with me lol, but what does he expect from a newbie that hasn't done any exercise in like over fifteen years lol???!!! I think that's the most exercise I've ever gotten in one day lol. And the funny thing is that it's not like that when we just dance the dance one time. But since it's only a two minute song that I picked out we danced the same fast dance thirty times during that hour, because he had our song on repeat, and no one else was doing a solo that was practicing with us, so we had our choice of music lol. (I knew I should have picked out a longer song lol.)

Anyways, I don't know if I will change or not. I'm kind of stuck at this point. And maybe I'll think differently after the show too, because it could be nerves right now more so than anything else at this point. But I'll check out the thread that you mentioned though, because it might give me some useful information that I might need in the future! ;)
  20. fascination

gotcha...fair enough......but lemme tell ya then...following in a social setting has its own set of nightmares particularly b/c every "lead" tends to have a different way of doing just that in a social setting....(holding onto wrenched lower back and twisted knee;) )