Dancing with your instructor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SuzieQ, Apr 24, 2006.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We had a thread about this recently... basically, it's just got to do with different body types. Assuming that a general level of hygiene is maintained, of course, then a little honest sweat never hurt anyone. If I was your partner, it wouldn't bother me a bit.
  2. jhpark

jhpark Member

It's interesting, none of the instructors in philly that I'm aware of routinely teaches people to both lead and follow, in either swing or tango. I've started learning how to follow (my instructor does both, so it works out well), and have been at it for about a 3-4 months, although I don't follow much socially, so progress is slow. I find it insanely difficult to be ready to move in any direction at any step... As a lead I can cheat with my balance, but as a follow it's more important.

So I can follow some things, but I'm still at the panick stage.... I think that's a big part of why I can't figure moves out by having them done to me.

The biggest irony is when we've been working on having me lead a figure, and she leads me in the same figure and I can't follow it at all. Ack! :)
  3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I think that I'm still at the panic stage too! It's funny though, because I don't feel tense, but my instructors always tell me to relax. I think at this point I'm a mixture of being overly excited and stressed lol. But it's like I said before, once I get through this show on Saturday, I'll be more comfortable with my dancing and will probably want to go up on stage everyday! Wohoo!!! ;)
  4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks for that! The funny thing is that I'm probably the cleanest person in my family lol. And when I start a new exercise like dance, I usually end up taking three showers a day! I take a shower when I first wake up, the next right before my lesson to refresh me, and the third is right when I get done with practicing. So, I don't think it's hygiene. I do think that I just need to get back into the swing of things though and not expect my body to be in the most perfect condition ever over night lol! But thanks for letting me know that you wouldn't get offended by this. I felt like the guy in Shall We Dance that had that problem lol, but of course he wasn't dancing a really fast Swing dance 30 times in a row lol!;)
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I was questioning your hygiene. I didn't mean to imply that, so if it read that way, I apologize. I just wanted to point out that your physical condition may not have that much to do with it one way or the other. Since I've been dancing, I've observed that some people sweat a lot and some don't, and there doesn't appear to be much correlation with physical condition.
  6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh haha... no you are just fine believe me! I knew that wasn't what you were trying to say and that you were only making a point. So, you are good! And I understand what you are trying to say. I also think that it depends on the type of dance you are doing too! For instance, I never broke a sweat when I was a Ballet and Jazz dancer. But this is a whole new way of dancing for me, and it's also much faster dancing than what I'm used to. And it's like what my instructor said I'm making more work for myself when I take big steps than when I take little steps. So, once I master my feet work and posture etc., I'm sure that I'll feel much better when I dance.
  7. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

I remember students where I taught getting sweaty, and we just told them it meant they were working hard on their dance. Our instructors never minded that, and in fact took it as a sign they were doing their jobs well and their students were getting exercise and learning.

So I guess I could say, don't sweat it. :)
  8. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Vince, I finally got those picture numbers for you. They are in the portraits. DSC03985 and 03986 are me with my teacher. DSC04170 is me with my husband. DSC04193 is Gretchen with her partner, and 04145 and 04170 are Gretchen with her two students. Thanks for your interest!
  9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I am a really heavy sweater. My teacher and other partners don't seem to mind, but it bothers me! I lived in South Florida for a long time and the high humidity was a killer for me. My teacher will sometimes say we've worked up a sweat, but he never seems to be sweating! Anyway, I guess it's good to sweat--drink a lot of water and flush out the bad stuff!
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my pro has to change as often b/c of my sweat as he does b/c of his...we are both very fit and sweat alot....I have learnd not to do the haltar thing so that he doesnt get a handful of wet slippery back....
  11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

He says that to me too, but I still feel bad. I guess though that we worry more about ourselves than what other people do lol. Oh and SuzieQ, I got back the great pictures that I took of you all the other night! I put them online, but under my account that no one has access to but me. If you would like to see them, let me know!!! ;)
  12. chandra

chandra New Member

I have had the BEST and the WORST dances with my Pro, and I've found the difference largely comes from him. When I dance socially with him, I just want to dance with him, not have it be an extension of our lesson. I want to relax and enjoy his amazing connection. (*drool*)
    Sometimes, the dance turns into an extension of our lesson. He tends to push me when we are dancing socially, and do things we have been working on in our lessons. He carries the teacher student relationship to our dances socially more and more lately. I understand why a teacher would do this, and like that he seems to genuinly want to teach me, however, these dances tend to be frustrating rather than amazing, because I cant follow what he is leading half the time. One time he led me in a billion spins, and afterwards said "wow, I didnt know you had that in you". I think "Than why did you lead it?"
    I understand of course, that the only way to improve is to be pushed, and sometime those dances will be incredible...
    Other times we have these amazing dancers, (lol, when he is showing off his student ;) ) and he just covers up for all the mistakes I make, and leads incredibly fun crazy stuff, that just works out incredibly. I ENJOY those dances more, but I understand the need for both socially.
    This difference can also obviously come from me, I can just as easily brign the classroom onto the social floor, and can have low self esteem causing less than wonderful dances.
    Im just saying that the difference might have to do with the attitudes of both people involved, not just the fright/complexes/whatever, of the student.
    "It takes two to Tango"
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I just love you chandra...and I missed you
  14. chandra

chandra New Member

:D I've missed all you guys too! Ive been totally DF slacking :(
  15. nikita

nikita New Member

May be your prof thinks, that is that, what you want. That you want some kind of an extension of the class. Usually both sides hate this...
    On the other hand- usually everybody is watching. Sometimes it's difficult to just let go and the easiest way then to make it comfortable for both sides is the repeat.
  16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I think that you are so right! I feel as though with my one instructor we can just be free, because he knows I don't want to dance professionally just yet, and this is why we had the best two out of the dances that we danced for our show. The other one only likes to lead and doesn't choreograph but he does this for all of his students. I think that's ok of course, because it shows what kind of skills you have, but it's also very stressful and not that entertaining. So, I think that because I get along better with the other instructor and that we are on the same wave length that I'm going to stick with him and not do a show with the other one this time. Not that I didn't have fun, but I felt like I could have done so much more if things were planned out and I had time to rehearse the moves instead of learning new stuff everyday that I wasn't sure if I understood the moves or not.
  17. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Yes, this is so true! That combined with the "spectators" can really put the pressure on. I try too hard to make the dance look good, partly because I don't want to embarass him, so I end up all tense rather than just relaxing and enjoying the dance. I did do a great tango routine for our show on Saturday night (geat routine, not necessarily great dancing!) and I will try to carry some of that attitude over into my social dancing.
  18. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

What do you mean not great dancing? Your Tango routine topped the best dance of the night. I heard a lot of people complimenting you about this even when you weren't around. I think that people liked my performance, because I pulled a George Hamilton and made it fun, but I have to work on my dancing. But girl you nailed your dance on the spot!

But I know what you mean though, because I feel as though I embarrassed you know whom during the Swing, but I told his fiance that I was worried about his the most. She knows how I felt about not having it choreographed, but at least I went up on stage and did it lol! (I was also mad because he choreographed the one girl's Swing and not mine, and I have no idea why.)

I also think that for this next show that I am dropping him and possibly working on two other solos with the other instructor, or maybe trying out a new instructor if possible. (I would love to work with your daughter's partner! He is so good! I was going to do the Waltz instead of the Swing, but he wasn't choreographing that dance either, nor did I understand it that well. But your daughter and her partner did the Waltz like how I want to do the Waltz. It was beautiful!) Either way, I'm still proud of myself for going up there on stage and doing it, but on the videotape, I looked much better doing the Swing during my heat than I did with the solo, but that's because he took the time to choreograph our heat though and he didn't have to because he's not my instructor, but it did look so much better than my Swing solo.