Dating, Love...and Salsa

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Kindra, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Vin

Vin New Member

Is it really? If I am really interested in someone then I just skip the number part and just go for the date. I then get the number as an afterthought.

2. aragonh

aragonh New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I should be taking notes from you!!

I get the digits b/c i dont want to rush into a date.
    Patience, Daniel Son, Patience.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto!! Tomorrow you may be run over by a car and never had that chance.

4. aragonh

aragonh New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Kindra

Kindra New Member

:lol: Funny stuff...

6. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) We usually go out together, except for the nights when I have my aikido training and I join my friends a little later...

No we don't dance only together, I would be too bored and same goes for him! We mostly (like 50-60%) dance together. But we both enjoy dancing with others... We have some special songs we always dance together...Even if we were dancing with someone else and that special song comes, we just say "sorry this is reserved to my SO, gonna dance with you later"... and I make sure I go back and ask them to dance!

I do keep track of him, and him of me, but this is mostly to make sure we're all right (had a friend who fainted in the toilet once, and it wasn't nice). Also, we mingle... for example he dissapeared for 1/2 an hour last night... he was somewhere in the back talking to a friend... I went to look for him after about 15-20 min, as I wanted to dance a song with him... of course, as they were sitting at a table, I didn't see them... I went back to our table and he finally appeared... I didn't mind, he explained where he was and that was it! :)

I used to be jealous when he danced with other girls (especially those who make a pass at him)... not any more! Why would I be? He's just dancing with them! ANd if he wanted something else, my jealousy wouldn't stop it, right?

7. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Hi, georgettestovall, you sound guilty about the fact that you've taken up a new hobby. I think guilt might make the situation worse.

My husband is utterly uninterested in whatever dance I've done so far, but that's fine, because we have plenty of other hobbies/interests together. When we started dating, he had to acknowledge this passion of mine from the very beginning. This is different from your situation, because you've taken up dancing after your wedding, but everyone changes during his/her life.

8. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Raluca, your post should be compulsory reading to whoever is struggling with jealousy :notworth: :rocker:

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Well, it took me some time to accept it... I am the jealous type... :)

I warned him anyway that if he does anything, he'd better make sure I wouldn't find out... :) And I am pretty good at finding out! ;)

What I don't know doesn't hurt me... but what I do find out will most definitely hurt him!

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I don't mind my SO dancing with other girls at all -- after all, I love dancing with lots of different guys, and it's easier to do so when he's also dancing with other women. He is much more selective about who he dances with than I am though, so there are often times when I dance and he watches. He says he likes watching me dance... I hope he genuinely means it.

11. Sagitta

I hope so too. Especially if you dance the way I do. :oops: :)

12. brujo

brujo New Member

How would you feel if your significant other was heavily into strip clubs and visited strippers every other night, spending large amounts of income on these things?

It must feel this way to many of the husbands and boyfriends out there. Your wife or girlfriend goes out to these bars where she dances with many unknown men that are there to make her feel special and maybe want something more. You almost never see her anymore. She spends this inordinate amount of cash on lessons. If you don't see the appeal of dancing, you must either be real forgiving or really angry.

My $.02.

13. squirrel

squirrel New Member

See, brujo, this is why I prefer to date dancers... :)

14. Sagitta

ditto. :)

15. brujo

brujo New Member

From the strip club or the salsa scene?

16. tj

tj New Member

ROFL!
    :lol:

17. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Indeed........I feel EXACTLY the same and you've said it all for me (as usual), sista 8) !

18. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) brujo... I dance Salsa... naturally, I go for Salsa dancers!

Side note: I've never been to a strip club (nor do I intend to go)

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Looks like we are doing the parallel thing again! :wink:

20. Houdinni

Houdinni New Member

I don't quite see the problem with dating someone in the salsa scene.

Since I started dancing about 2 years ago, I've dated both inside and outside of the scene, depending on where I found the girls who pleased me.

It's actually easyer dating inside the scene. You already share the passion for dancing, you're used to dancing with loads of different people during the night, I so you expect your partner to do the same.

Gossip will pretty much e an issue wherever you place yourself, and I never noticed it to be more intense in the salsa world. After you pass mid20's groups tend to be more or less formed up, and evolve much slower then used to do, so in any given group people know each other and WILL gossip. It's a fact of life.

Sals being sensual dance, one tht promotes contact within the dancers, why would it make sens to be one that excluded love or sex. Both are parts of everyday life (or should be).

As for the jealousy part, if you date someone that's goodlooking, she (or he), will be the object of desire of someone else. Everytime! Inside or outside of salsa. So the way I see it, there re only two choises, either you build up some self trust, and believe there's a reason why your partner is with you instead of with someone else, (and then people making a move, trying to charm her won't be somuch of a problem because she'll just send them away), or you can try to date the worst looking person you can find, hoping that she's just so boring/ugly/uninteresting that noone else will go for her.

Your choice... ;)