Dating....

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by quixotedlm, Apr 30, 2011.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

The travails of dating in the dance scene - An internal monologue

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

excellent, however 1:46 ..have so much in common: ..church ..values ! The only thing that made me wonder.

3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

lol! that made me wonder too..

4. opendoor

As far as I know, religious aspects and church do play no role. My experience ranges from salsa (were young Joe and superficial Jane Lunchbucket meet) up to tango (has a hight ratio of physiotherapists, artists, alternative healers, and other folks with a sense for spritual stuff), swing (students that want to let off steam). I am not at home in the BR world, so I can´t say anything concerning this style. Within the salsa crowd there is fewest fear of contact, whereas the relationally disturbed, burdened, or ruined concentrate within the tango community. But in general I find dancing people to overcome cultural and social borders easily.

5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Find it a bit odd how she had a meeting with herself and teacher was left wondering if D had entered the Twilight Zone.

Some valid points raised but she fluttered her eye lashes at 11 seconds... Not sure why he came out with tickets for a football match... I'd have taken her to watch Flash Gordon in the cinema (t-shirt) :D

6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

wow...

7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

At least in my social scene, I feel like there is the fewest fear of contact in the Blues community, the salsa community seems relatively open, the tango community seems to fit opendoor's description, and the WCS community feels pretty friendly but asexual....

What an outrageous generalization to put forward though - very provocative... do other people have opinions on this? ;-)

8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Haha. opendoor seems to have a bad taste in his/her mouth about the AT scene! Just like I have with my salsa scene... or anyone has about their scene if they have had a bad dating experience in it (this may include resentment over not dating in it, while others ostensibly are)

I never danced swing socially, but had friends who did, and I got a very friendly but absolutely non-sexual vibe from it as well. OTOH, I didn't know how sexually frustrated the salsa scene was until I really immersed myself in it. LoL.

opendoor likes this.
  9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Interesting observations that I had not though about, vis-a-vis the salsa and swing scenes...

10. opendoor

Also considerations about people that belong to the salsa and tango scene. Or people that change their scene after some years. Somehow tango is commonly regarded as an elders´ style of former salseros/as. What does this mean regarding our questions?

11. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Of all the 'street' dances, Tango seems like the one dance that one can take with to their old age. I think there are dancers from all styles that switch to Tango.

I imagine that the Tango community tends to be made up of very persistent dancers. Perhaps this correlates with many relationshiop missteps within the dancing community (or in their former dance communities), which makes for Tango dancers being, generally, more jaded or complicated in relationship matters. My sense is that the Tango community is also made up of people who enjoy using both their left and right brains equally - which perhaps contributes to complex personalities and complicated relational dynamics.

12. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

<tought for admins:> Is this thread becoming less salsa specific, and more 'general dance' oriented?

13. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

In my area Salsa and most Latin dancing is the scene to be in if dating and sex is the objective. Of course that crowd also has it's share of hardcore dancers that probably have dating as a side benefit. WCS is for serious dancers so the dating isn't that important.