Developing Stamina for Competition

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Well maybe not - the point is (and the article goes into some detail) that we use different muscles when walking at speed to running. To develop stamina you must develop the muscles that lift the knee rather than push the leg down, those muscles are in your hips rather than the legs.

http://www.geocities.com/equipmentshop/apft.htm

If you have to do sudden changes of pace as in going from a Waltz to a Jive the best training is a fast walk rather than running at a steady pace.

2. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Or in another article in the march out of Burma in 1942 it was the Burmese nurses who could maintain the marching pace because they were used to working on their feet in the hospital. The 'physically' strong infantry men could not.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IAV/is_2_90/ai_76736958/pg_5/?tag=content;col1

3. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I know I'm a strange one...

The aerobic you are sounding sounds good in my opinion. I suggest throwing in some anaerobic training at this point, such as interval training. You are probably (very very probably) working at 60-80% of your max heart rate on the cardio machine. This is great for increasing lung capacity, blood vessel size, heart size and strength (in other words you body is able to take in oxygen faster), and losing weight.

According to BritJ.Sports Med.- Vol. 22, No. 2, June 1988, pp. 57-60, A Grade Ams (any of the Aussie's care to convert this to US equivalent for me?) or professions are working at heart rates from 78% max (during just the waltz) for men 81% for the women and up to 92% max in the VW. for the men and 95% max for the women. (FYI: This study was done with their competition routines)

You probably need to start doing some anaerobic training to get your body accustomed to operating at theses high heart rates. This will increae you lactic acid threshold and VO2max and allow you operate longer at higher heart rates. Typical training for this involves intervals (yay! not really, intervals are one of the few exercise I do because it is good for me, not because I enjoy it). Probably the easiest thing for a dancer to do is dance rounds. There are also plenty of typical cardio workouts for this you can find online, just google interval training. The other advantage of intervals is that you are going to get your body accustomed to starting and stopping (just like when we compete :D).

Disclaimer: If you are not in shape do not jump into interval training, you will hurt yourself. You'll get plenty of good out of standard aerboic training at that level. If you are in shape it is not recommended that you do intervals more than once a week, doing so is asking for injuries.

Additional disclaimer: I don't have any training in sports medicine, this just stuff I've read over the years... (sorry I get a little nervous recommending intervals to people I've never met)

4. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I changed my work out routine today. Instead of jogging/running, I set the program to interval- but at a steady pace. Did a brisk walk with different degrees of incline throughout an hour. It was interesting reading about how it's better to work on the hip flexors versus running at a steady pace, actually making that muscle group less effective.

Also trying to eat smaller meals more often. A comp is coming up in two weeks, so I'm going to change my diet around and see what happens. It'll be a two week test to see how I feel afterwards.

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

smaller meals/snakcs ever 2/3 hours works wonders for me. h elps me stay more alert through day too, since blood sugar level isn't going through such extreme cycles. :)

6. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yeah my fault is I'll get busy, then don't get a chance to eat and by the end of the day I'm ready to eat anything in sight. The bad thing with that is, I usually end up crashing right afterwards. How much do carbs, such as pasta, effect one's blood sugar level? I'm thinking of cutting back on carbs, unless it is the minority of the meal or part of a protein bar to get me through lessons. I used to buy whole wheat pasta, but when I'm trying to watch my budget, I switched back to whatever was on sale, usually not including the whole wheat brands.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

My experience says carbs are good but don't last as long. Proteins tend to give a more even longer lasting boost to blood sugar. normal days I'll alternate between the two, and try to get whole grain/natural carbs when I can (though yeah, for same reason I don't get them all that much anymore). The key, as you've already hinted there, is reallly to get into a habit of it. Same type of thing as practicing. And ironically, my third snack of the day (not counting breakfast) tends to fall same time as I normally go to studio for practice over my lunch break. The two falling at same time makes it that much easier to stick to the habit on both.

8. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

I used to do the first half of practice wearing ankle weights. I should break those out again...

9. Chiron

Chiron New Member

In general you want 10-35% of your calories coming from protein, 45-60% coming from carbs, and 20-35% of your calories from fat. If you are working on building muscle you typically want 0.7-1g of protein per pound of body weight. To let your body use the protein to build muscle you still need enough energy so you typicall want to keep you calories from carbs above 50%. Endurance athletes need to typicall push the calories from carbs up to 60-70% of their caloric intake.

Simple sugars and starches will spike your blood sugar and leave you feeling hungry again sooner. I try to hit a full spectrum of foods when I eat. Fiber and protein will fill you up and make it take longer for your body to absorb the sugars from your meal (less of a blood sugar spike).

I personally like to eat lots of carbs (but I also run). I don't think they are evil at all. They are your bodies favorite energy source (your body really hates to use protein as an energy source). I've never had a problem with pasta spiking my blood sugar, only donuts or candy (for pasta I personally like barilla and don't do the whole wheat kind cause I'm also cheap). With pasta I almost never eat it plain. There is usually sauce and some other stuff, which will slow the carb absorbtion.

I would say keep eating carbs, just stay away from candy, and try to eat other things with it. For example, throw some peanut butter on the piece of bread you were going to eat.

As a side note the USDA guidelines tend to be pretty good. Here is a neat story I found on cnn a while ago:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/16/oprah.habit.month/index.html

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

came across this very interesting article showing some oxygen capacity/output research results for both standard & latin ballroom dancers: http://bjsportmed.com/content/22/2/57.full.pdf

the VO2 Max is very high for both as compared with the ranges for other sports listed here: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html

among the curious points revealed by this particular research:
    • standard men require slightly higher VO2 Max than latin men.
    • latin ladies require noticeably higher VO2 Max than latin men.

11. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

Great article for everyone...including myself, an overweighted for life! :D

12. Leon

Leon New Member

Stamina requires...breathing at the right time