Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. Despite appearances to the contrary, I've decided to take my diet in hand and lose (more than) a few pounds. Have had lots of success in the past with a a diet that starts with the initials WW. ( I hear they're a bit proprietary with their branding. Can't be too cautious.)

The last time I did the WW diet, I had a group of girlfriends doing it with me, and we'd exchange cool ideas for low-calorie-density foods, brands, recipes, etc. My faves were the 0 and 1 point foods. In fact, I'd always get teased for eating all twenty-whatever of my points ... one at a time.

Just curious. Does anybody out there in the void, WW or otherwise, have favorite foods, recipes, etc, that you think are good choices? Why or why not? Please share. Oh, and btw, you don't have to be counting points. Any diet tips will do.

I'll start. One of my favorite diet tricks, on the days when I don't have time for anything other than one of those teensy, tiny diet frozen diet entrees, is to supplement with a generous serving of green leafy veggies. It adds zero points, but makes an otherwise skimpy-feeling meal filling. Really filling. And, depending on the greens you choose, you can get a ton of calcium as an added bonus. Pretty cool.

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I just discovered that Rubio's (maybe only in California?) healthy tacos are only 3 points apiece.

Chocolate sorbet is only 2-3 points per half cup (depending on brand).

3. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I am way too lazy to count points. So I used their alternate plan, worked well for me. You can eat unlimited of certain foods (until you aren't hungry. you have to monitor hunger very well instead.) and you get a small pool of points to splurge on non-plan foods.

Fav breakfast: Whole wheat and bran or sprouted grain cereal with fruit and skim milk. (Post Shredded Wheat n Bran and Ezekiel 4:9 original cereal are really low points on the main plan, and 0 points on the alternate.)
    Lunch: Rice bowl. Brown rice, lean meat or tofu, broccoli, blow points on the sauce, either teriyaki or thai.

Uhh. Will think of more later.

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Dove has some dark chocolate coated minis that are 1 pt each. :)
    Definitely one of my better food finds.

I have a ton of fav ww recipes too.

5. pygmalion

Yum, CCM! :)

I chose the traditional plan because I'm not very good at monitoring when I'm hungry versus thirsty. But that does look like a great alternative, if counting doesn't work for you. :cool:

6. pygmalion

Fave 0 point foods in a pinch:

dill pickles because the sour helps quench the appetite
    sugar fre popsicles because it sort-of satisfies a sweet tooth with zero points

7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP! The best 0 point food going. There are a few different recipes for it available nowadays, but I'm always going with the original.

One point: Five Can Soup. Ridiculously filling, high protein, high fiber, tasty. Throw in 2/3 cup of couscous and 2 points' worth of turkey breast, and you have a five-point meal that's satisfying, delicious, easy... have a salad too, with just lemon juice or vinegar, adds no points, bulks up... don't get me started on bulking up with veg, I'm a bulk eater, I like to have a MEAL, not some lonely piece of chicken on a plate with a few pathetic steamed vegetables keeping it company

Lundgren's Organic Short Grain Brown Rice is your friend. Learn to love it.

The microwave is your friend. Nuke 2 pts worth of flounder or tilapia w/lemon juice squeezed over it, have some brown rice and spinach steamed with onions, season it with Penzey's Greek Seasoning... yum, and leaves you points for a glass of white wine

You want to know how to cope with the American lifestyle on a ww points budget? I'm the poster child. I managed to lose sth like 70 pounds while I was *on the road 5 days out of 7* so I know, I mean really really KNOW, how to be on program. And I know my low point indulgences and my safe foods and my trigger foods and and and... I can talk about this forever.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Please do!!!

9. pygmalion

Anybody have recommendations for good desk stash foods?

I used to keep a can or two of Progresso Light soups in there -- 0 or 1 points -- until I realized a few things.

0 or 1 points = per serving, not per can. 1 point per serving could be 3 - 4 points per can, depending on the total number of caloires.

And those sups contain a LOT of sodium in them. Like 30% or more of the RDA per serving. Ouch!

So what do you keep in your desk drawer in case of diet emergency?

I currently have fat free hot chocolate mix. 25 calories per pack. 1 pack = 1 point. 2 packs = 1 point. :cool:

I have a bunch of different drink mix-in fiber dealies (more on that later)

94% fat free popcorn. Not nearly as low-point as it used to be, but insanely filling. And btw, I don't believe that the brand (Healthy Pop?) endorsed by WW is significantly different than anybody else's. They just tweaked something to get a fake 0 point recommendation, IMO.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

back in the day, I kept packages of tuna...dunno a thing about points but it seemed like a good option

11. pygmalion

That actually is a great option, IMO. I have some bumblebee white albacore tuna -- I guess vacuum? -- packs in my cabinet. Not cans, metallized pouches. 2.5 ounces (plenty for a sandwich or to toss in a salad) 80 calories and low in fat. 2 points and worth it. If you pick your salad and dressing carefully, you can stay at two points. Not bad. :cool:

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I usually go with a bit of dill relish and a triscuit

13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't do the points thing. The only thing I've really found as far as food (I tend to stay a decent shape so long as I keep activity up, easier now I'm not working 60+ hours/week!) is it's better if I have a little of whatever it is I want than to try and eat something healthy instead and end up eating ten different things because I'm not satisfied. (Ie, a half cup of ice cream, or snacking on everything I find in the kitchen.)

Also, coffee (drip/perc/press with a bit of milk or creamer), water, and unsweetened ice tea--I treat other beverages as food. About the only time I'll buy soda is if my stomach is bothering me and I buy ginger ale (which really does work, btw, if it's a brand with real ginger. When I had the flu last year I think I had nothing but saltines and ginger ale for two days.)

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I have a couple of packets of instant oatmeal in my desk. The tuna is a good idea too...low calorie, high protein.

15. Peaches

Confession of oddness: I like to eat instant oatmeal dry. Cinnamon apple is best.

Even better than dry oatmeal, though, is dry cream of wheat. OM NOM NOM.

*end hijack*

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Of course, this is the person who eats dried tortellini.

17. pygmalion

Instant oatmeal is good, dry or not. 3 points, with skim milk, IIRC.

Dry? Just a tad strange, but hey. Consider the source. :rolleyes: :cool:

And yes. Real ginger ale does work. On an odd tangent, real ginger and red pepper are both home remedies/folk medicine in some countries, because they both work to heal what ails ya. :cool:

18. Peaches

Oh yeah...I forgot about the dried tortellini. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, is all I'm sayin'. (I could say that about so many things, really.)

19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Instant oatmeal has all the flavor and texture of wallpaper paste. Plus that nasty chemical taste, like you're driving past the swamps/factories of northern NJ, only it's on a spoon in your mouth. Ick. You might as well eat the box it comes in, so I'm not surprised it's edible uncooked. After a fashion.

Do yourself a favor: Mc Cann's Quick Cooking. Not Quaker, McCann's. A product worth the expense; it makes a bowl of creamy, yummy, somehow hefty oatmeal that tastes like real food. Takes about 1 minute longer than that instant s***. When I was religiously on program, I ate McCann's every single morning. I cooked 1/2c with 1/2c skim milk and 1/2c water, sprinkled it with insanely good cinnamon from Penzey's, and a bit of Splenda. 3 points. Then two egg whites, and I was ready to go for the whole morning. That's a tasty 3 point brekkie with fiber, protein, fast-burning calories for quick energy, slow burning calories for lasting energy. And leaves points for lunch.

I really can talk this forever. I was recruited to become a WW meeting leader, but my on-the-road lifestyle made that impossible.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you're talkin' bout someone who also swills DMD like water...:rolleyes:

oatmeal? steel-cut, definitely...

and it's even better-tasting "raw"... soaked overnight in water, then drained & topped with fresh almond milk and various salted raw nuts & mebbe some monticello dried cherries and sultanas. yum.