Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. CANI

CANI Active Member

Rockland Bakery perchance? Yummy!
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh.my.god. I have so got to make a trip up your way. So.got.to.
  3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Today I managed to get by on fairly little, and still not be hungry...

1 boiled egg for breakfast.
    Tub of yoghurt, banana, sandwich for lunch.
    Banana for tea.

I should've had more for tea, but I was at work.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

The finest tourist attraction in Rockland County.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Somebody 'shplain to me how a WW/dieting thread ended up in carb heaven. :lol:

Anybody that's on WW, question. The last iteration of WW I tried, there were a couple options -- the "traditional" points option, where you counted everything, and the something-I-can't-remember option, where you had unlimited certain types of foods. (The option subliminal described a page or so ago.)

Are there still multiple options with the new program? Or is it all PP all the time?

And, if you're transitioning from an older version of the program to Points Plus, how has it changed your eating habits, if at all?
  6. j_alexandra

<looks at ceiling, rolls eyes, scuffs toes> um. I'm taking the heat on this one...

Core. My BFF did beautifully on Core. I did not.

Yes; they call it Simply Filling, and the materials are different, you need to talk to a Leader about it; it's not easy to find much detail in the new Getting Started book.

Funny you should mention. This past week was my week to transition. I spent a day in shock; I was comfortable with the program as it was, and was not prepared for things to have changed so much. Did it change my eating habits? You bet. My fave treats have become very "expensive" and so I eat more fruit (0 points) and fewer 100 Calorie Whatevers. I think hard before drinking alcohol. I've gone back to regular pasta, no more Barilla Plus; it's the same number of points now, didn't used to be. Brown rice points have changed. I found that if I used the points calculator online, I got different values than the ones listed in the book, so I ditched the book and went with the (more accurate, because more specific) values from the calculator. FYI, WW has an online points calculator, b/c they ran out of the handheld ones, and they're backordered UNTIL APRIL. Somebody dropped the ball there...

The LGS has become an absolute blessing. Until I throw in gojis, hemp, or whatever, they are now zero points. Color Me Happy.

I tried this first week as purely on-program as possible; did not eat my Activity Points, and only about 5 of my Points Allowance. I watered, tracked, looked everything up, weighed, measured, etc etc vigilantly. I reminded myself frequently that It's Not About The Scale. I lost two pounds. And now I'm planning to become a meeting leader, which I wanted to do years ago, but couldn't b/c I was on the road all the time, so I'll be going through the whole program, just so see what it's like. This week's experiment will be to use all my activity points and all my allowance points and see if I continue to lose.

I just got back from my meeting; you pushed a button, can you tell? ;)
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

j_alex, that is SUPER exciting!!! You go, girl!

And I agree with your assessment. I already ate a lot of fruit, but now I'm eating even more. I'm also eating more hard-boiled eggs, b/c at 2 pts each, they are kind of a bargain. (We also tend to have hb eggs in a bowl in the fridge, to make sure our ovo-lacto veg child gets enough protein.)

I actually was surprised that I don't have to cut back on carbs as much as I thought. I still have a pb+j for lunch every day. It's easy to work that in because although bread costs more, you also get more PointsPlus per day. Nature's Own Double Fiber bread is 1 point per slice. On maintenance, I get 35 pp per day, even before APs or tapping into the extra points allowance. Very do-able.

Husband managed to get me a handheld points calculator, the Food Companion, and the Restaurant Guide. I think E-Bay was involved, as neither of us are meetings members.
  8. Peaches

Interesting.

I find that I'm not insanely hungry and obsessed anymore. Granted, I haven't been very strict, but still. The fact that I can eat enough veggies to not be hungry is such a huge bonus! I feel like I can eat whatever now...I can be full during the day, and I can still have a drink in the evening. It.is.awesome. (ETA: Especially since my points allowance went from 19 points to 29, and veggies went to nothing! w00t!)

I guess the thing for me is that this tracks much more closely with how I like to eat and how I would eat normally, if I were being good about things. Low fat or fat free fruits and veggies, and lots of them, with little bits of other stuff thrown in. It forces me to watch my portion sizes with stuff, but I don't feel like I have to rearrange my eating habits. Makes me happy.

I can't understand though, j_alex, how you manage to have smoothies count for zero points. Put the ingredients in separately...zero points; put them in as a recipe...multiple points. Um...uh...???

ETA: My uncle has recently joined ww. Makes for interesting conversation. And kind of cool, b/c he came to the same conclusion I did--eat lots of fruits and veggies during the day, and then have a nice dinner and a glass of wine and things are good.
  9. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Congrats j_alex! Good luck on the program. Like I said, it worked great for me for a while, then I plateaud. I gotta get my exercise program back in gear, that's usually how I bust through.

Are you switching to it too Peaches? I found it much easier to follow than straight points.
  10. j_alexandra

I just did that: entered all the fruit (pineapple, grapes, kiwi, strawberries, canteloupe) and the spinach (1.5 C) separately into the Plan Manager. Came up 0 PP. If I add gojis, I measure out 1PP worth, and throw it in, and it becomes 1PP. No brainer.
  11. pygmalion

This is the kind of stuff I find interesting. HB eggs have been two points as long as I can remember. But other things have fluctuated dramatically, depending on which version of the program was involved. I guess I'm going to have to break down and try the new program, so I can see for myself.

Still blows my mind (in a good way) that CCM and CCP are cool enough parents to let their pre-tween make her own dietary choices. Very, very cool, IMO. :-D

I will make it a point (no pun intended) to look for this bread. I'm hoping it's available here. So many things that are available in other parts of the country are not sold here, but I will look.

re: meeting versus non-meeting members. I don't know anyone who goes to meetings, but I'm considering trying meetings, at least for a while, to learn the new program. While I have found meetings to be annoying in the past, there's also a lot of valuable information exchanged. Like a lot of other things in life, it's a trade-off, IMO.
  12. j_alexandra

Thx. Am ready to take it on, now. Kind of waiting for the program to be over, so I can go for training.

I dislike egg yolks and have a hard time digesting them, so I will eat 3 whites if I need a protein blast snack. (1PP)

Arnold Fiber Full bread. 2pp. Toast. slice in half through the slice, not across it; I end up with two verrrrry thin pieces of chewy, dense, flavorful bread, and then I have two sizes of peanut butter figured out, depending on if I am just having brekkie or I have a lesson and we're doing quickstep or viennese and I need a lot more energy. a T of Polaner All Fruit Grape, and it's my go-to brekie 3 days a week (lesson days). I'll take a look at Nature's Own, although I like a physically larger slice; iirc, NO was smaller than the Arnold, and I don't mind spending that extra point on bread I like.

Didn't find one on eBay. Will try again. Thx for the heads up.
  13. pygmalion

I'll look for Arnold bread as well. WW-friendly bread is extremely important to me. *carb addict*

Oh and btw. Congrats on going for the position of meeting leader. IME, a meeting leader who has been on the program for a while and has succeeded at it can make a huge difference to meeting members. :-D
  14. Peaches

Eh? *splutter* Not fair!
  15. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Heh, sometimes it's not terrible to game the interface. Back when I was on Core, I was looking for breakfast alternatives, and was having trouble finding anything. I wanted to add oatmeal, but WW seemed to think even sugar free was 3 pts per packet! Then someone pointed out on the Core forum that WW brand sugar free oatmeal was 0 pts, and had the same contents! Sneaky varmints. So I bought the cheaper generic oatmeal, and listed it as 0 anyway.
  16. j_alexandra

New Program. Fruit is 0 Points. What's not fair? Switch.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've switched to 4 ounces of fruit juice added to 8 ounces of water. I still get most most of the flavor of the fruit juice, with less sugar and calories. I was also pleased to find out that a brand of fruit juice I like now has a light variety, with a lot less sugar than the original.
  18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Bearing this in mind for when I have little money but still a sweet tooth...
  19. bia

bia Active Member

I'm not in ww, but I do this, too, mainly to get myself to drink enough water. But I'm curious -- how is the light variety different from the original? In many cases, it's just a higher percentage of water. If that's the case, you can buy the original and just water it down more. (I just came from Lioness's moving-out thread, so I'm in penny-pinching mode. Please ignore if it sounds naggy.)
  20. Peaches

I thought I was on the new program. And I know that most fruits and veggies are 0 points...which is what has me confused and irritated. If, for example, I make myself a smoothie with 2 pears and a really good handful of spinach...if I put things in separately I end up with 0 points. If, however, I put it in as a recipe...it lists things as 0 points each in the ingredients, but then at the bottom it comes up with something like 5 points. Very aggravating.