Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I have to tell you that I don't use the online tools. I keep track of my points in a Word document. I record all fruits and veg as zero. (Except obviously dried fruits like craisins.)

I'm on the maintenance program and I am maintaining like a charm; I've stayed in a 3 lb range on my daily weight checks. So I think that it works the way I'm doing it.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I use the on-line tool for the WW Points Plus. Only because my DH is trying to learn how to use web tools on the WW programs. Otherwise I would just write it down.
    I'm on maintenance as well, but I'm thinkin' of going for another 10 pounds. hmmmm.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I got the online e-tools from WW for two weeks for free, b/c they were out of handheld calculators, and I knew there was too much difference between what I knew from the old program, and what I didn't know from the new program. When the 2 weeks is up, this weekend, I'll be dumping e-tools; all I need is the calculator, and that's available online for free at weightwatchers dot com /calculator. Plan Manager is just too much stuff for me, lots of features I don't use.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hmmm...perhaps I'll have to look into that.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

To be honest. I was more disciplined and accurate when WW used to have those cute little cardboard-ish food diaries. Those I carried with me. Online? Eh. I have to remember what I ate and drank until I get a chance to log in.

The handheld dealie would be nice to have, but they didn't exist when I was a meeting member. And, when I was an online member, they weren't available. I'm not sure why ww doesn't just give in and start an online store. I think they'd be surprised at how much more revenue they'd make. I think that they're probably trying to safeguard their core business of meetings. But meetings are secure for the time-being, IMO. There are plenty of people out there who want or need the support of a group. I doubt that their allowing online members access to WW products would cut into their profits. I know I'd clear them out of those delicious little one-point snack bars, if I had access. Can you say yum?
  6. j_alexandra

They still give out paper trackers, and I carry mine around.

No, but I can say "ewww." Most of those things are so chemical-tasting, I can't eat them.
  7. pygmalion

Those paper tracker dealies are the bomb! It's so easy to take two seconds and write things down. *campaigning for online store*

And you may be right about the snack bars. It's been years since I had one -- years in which I have done a lot of work to become aware of when I'm eating crap. So they might not be nearly as yummy as I remember. OTOH. A handy, semi-sweet, one point treat in my purse saved my behind more than a few times. Eh. *shrug*
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

There is an online store. It is called E-Bay.

Okay, admittedly, not an efficient way to do business. But enterpreneurs step in when there is a gap, ya know?

I've never had the bars, but I do like the brownies. I know j_alex will probably scold me and tell me there are better brownies in the world, and I have no doubt, but these ones are 3 PointsPlus and can be easily thrown in my purse if I am in the house for 10 minutes between work and taking Child somewhere. I also keep the little snack-sized M&M packs around for such chocolate emergencies.

If I actually have time to mellow out, I prefer the chocolate vita tops. Those things are pretty kick butt! Husband bulk orders them for us.
  9. j_alexandra

+1
    salvation on many an occasion. And worth the points, imho
  10. pygmalion

Eh. Chocolate (and, for that matter, sweets of any sort) really aren't my thing. I'm a salty/savory snack-a-holic. Does anybody have recommendations of diet-friendly chip-ish snacks? *

Back when I started ww, I used to do pretzels all the time. Then I started reading the label and becoming aware of things other than calories. Most pretzels and their high sodium level are a no-go.

So now what?

*In reality, chips aren't all that salty, comparatively speaking, but, since the salt is applied topically, the taste of salt is prominent. I read the nutrition labels, so it's all good. :cool:
  11. Peaches

Popcorn?

I have really gotten to like Quakes...but they are hard to keep in the house because 1)I will eat all of them in one go if I'm not careful, and 2)DH really likes them and even if I'm being good about not eating all of them I have to beat DH off them with a stick.

Soy crisps? I found some in a shop by work. They're kind of like mini-popcorn cakes...but they're soy, if that's an issue for you. (I know people have varying takes on soy being healthy or not.) Lotsa protein.

Do you have to worry about salt in a general sense, or do you also have to worry about an individually salty food spiking sodium levels or something? As in, if you eat pretty much salt-free most of the time would that even out indulgence in pretzels or chips?
  12. morgrob

morgrob New Member

You can make your own pita crisps or something. You can just cut them into bite size triangles and then brush them with a little olive oil and then you can put herbs or some Parmesan cheese on them and then bake until they are crispy...sort of chip like texture, but you can control the sodium, aside from whatever is already in the pitas unless you want to make your own.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The calorie content on popcorn can vary a bit, depending on what kind you buy. As well, there's an issue with sodium content.
  14. Peaches

True.

I was thinking of the make-your-own-from-kernels type. Salt or whatever can be added and controlled.
  15. pygmalion

Brilliant! I had forgotten all about air popped popcorn. Must check into that. :cool:

I also like the idea of making your snacks (pita chips, etc) to help control sodium. You guys rock. Thanks.
  16. j_alexandra

Laughing Cow light wedges. 1 PP per wedge. The full fat version is just too much, nowadays.

Cabot 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese snacks; they're 2 PP, but worth it.

I've been CRAVING cheese, and now I can indulge. It may not be triple-cream Brie, dill havarti, superior herbed goat cheese, manchego, etc, etc, etc, but it's cheese. Color me freakin' happy.
  17. pygmalion

These are not the full fat version, you're right. But hey, as a cheesy person (pun intended) they work for me. :cool:
  18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I discovered that a couple of bottles of soft drink, some lollies, and pringles are really not very good at all.

No more junk food binges for me.
  19. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

20. pygmalion

I heart gadgets. I looked at the amazon dealies, but can't figure out what these gadgets are supposed to do.

Of the two, though, I'd probably go for the second. When in weight loss mode, I like to keep it simple, with the exception of having a digital scale to obsess over. :lol:

And btw, just curious, how often do folks weigh in and why? Right now for me -- Monday AM nekkid. No more no less. I used to seriously obsess -- weighing in multiple times per day. When I discovered that my weight fluctuates 6 or seven pounds over the course of an average day, I decided that I needed to back off or else lose my mind. So now it's once a week, with as many variables as possible kept constant.