Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I've only recently got past my aversion to oatmeal and have only done the instant flavored (apple cinnamon for the most part) ones so far. I like those but am going to venture into unflavored instant oatmeal (Harris Teeter brand) shortly as I just bought some. I only have it with water as I dislike milk (and only the bare minimum as I prefer it to be drier and less porridge-y)... When I try it, I'll probably add a touch of Splenda, nuts and dried cranberries to it... Hmm, maybe I should start my venture tomorrow - that sounds good!

As for other snacks: there are few things as perfect as a snack as string cheese: portable, low in fat (compared to other cheeses), high in protein and a little salty. That and a large piece of fruit is my favorite snack.
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Gala apple
    Carrot and celery sticks
  3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Braeburn apples are my fav.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

No, not like water. I really dislike water. Like...um...something else.

I've tried non-instant oatmeal. Steel cut (McCanns) and rolled. With various fruits, sweeteners, additions...I don't like it. I don't really like the instant stuff either, except for dry, but I dislike it less than I dislike real oatmeal.
  5. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I keep some packets of instant oatmeal at my desk. I don't count points or watch what I eat... I just pay attention to what my body is telling me. I have a natural aversion to lots of things that happen to be unhealthy, so it makes it a bit easier. Although occasionally crave chocolate. I haven't figured out yet how to satisfy that one.
  6. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Looks like others chimed in about the oatmeal while I was chatting with a co-worker...
  7. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

What alcoholic beverages are low calorie?

Don't look at me like that lol The new job insanely stresses me out and I need to cut corners where I can because most of the time I feel like pigging out when I get home.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

9. fascination

wrt oatmeal...gotta watch that flavored crap though...whole bunch of sugar in there
  10. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Yes. and its not good without some kind of real sweetener.
  11. fascination

actually, I like my oatmeal w/skim milk, salt and butter
  12. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

If at home, I like to add some strawberry preserves to plain oatmeal.
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, sorry, right... peaches swills DMD like tequila. ;)
  14. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I make wine spritzers. Low in calories, and also good to keep the level of alcohol consumption down.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Are you being serious?
  16. fascination

relatively speaking..yes...tis better to have a shot of vodka than quite a fewother drinks
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I eat raw oatmeal sometimes, the plain Old Fashioned Quaker Oats kind.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Thank God I'm not the only one....I like it. It tastes good.

The oats my horse gets, not so much. (Of course I tried them when I was a kid.)
  19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Nature's Own Double Fiber whole wheat bread is just 1 pt for 2 slices and is actually quite substantive. DH likes it better than the ww brand bread, which is a similar 1 pt for 2 slices deal.

Okay, and Smucker's does a strawberry jelly with artificial sweetener (Splenda perhaps?) that is only 10 cals a tablespoon, I believe, which is 0 pts. So you can do a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with 1 tbsp peanut butter for 2 pts, 1 tbsp jelly for 0 pts, and 2 slices of bread for 1 pt = 3 pts.

There are quite a few kinds of Hillshire Farms deli meats where you can get like 5-6 slices for 1 pt. So with 2 slices of bread for 1 pt, add lettuce, tomato, and if your working conditions allow it, onion--and you can have a substantive sandwich for 2 pts.

I like to accompany a sandwich with an orange or apple and a small 2 pt dessert (WW brownie, small pack M+Ms, 2 Hershey's kisses, or, if at home, small container WW ice cream, Inspired Cuisine European Style dark chocolate mousse).
  20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I just had a salad: herb salad mix, grape tomatoes, and 1/6 cup of craisins. (1/3 cup is 2 pts, so I cut that in half if I just want 1 pt worth.) I also usually add 2 tbsp feta cheese crumbles.

I am in love with craisins (dried cranberries) recently.