Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Usually once a week...occasionally once every few days, if I wake up in the morning and think "Wow, I look good...I wonder how much I weigh?"

But yeah, first thing in the morning (or before any food) and naked.

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Every day, first thing in the AM, nekkid. (I'm on maintenance.)

I know some people would consider that too often, but I just like to keep an eye on things. In the month of February, every single first thing in the AM weigh-in has been within a 2-lb radius.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Question for other ww peeps out there... How do you count points for things when you go out to eat at a non-chain restaurant? I mean...if I go out for Ethiopian food, I've got no clue where to even begin with tracking that.

Alternatively, how do you handle the points situation wrt recipes when there are cooking liquids that contribute, but that you don't really end up eating. Like mahogany chicken--lotsa liquid, which counts, sure...but it's not like you really have "serving" of it.

My uncle says he deals with it by eating as little of the sauce as possible, and only counting the meat, and then adding a point or two depending on the preparation. What about you guys?

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

non-chain restaurants: I order carefully, and decide everything is twice as many points plus as I wish it were. Ethiopian, I'd just say the hell with it, and get back on the wagon the next day. I get 49 allowance points plus in a week. Chances are that I won't use them all in one meal, (as long as nobody's holding me down and forcing me to eat, say, breakfast strata and brownies) so I spend the rest of the week being very strict about my target.

Your uncle's method sounds workable. It's usually only one meal, yes? I'm not having mussels marinara three times a week. Oh, also, order appetizer portions or kiddie meals when I can. Fewer PP.

6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I would use what information you have from the Dining Out Companion and extrapolate with comparisons to get an estimate. I recognize that Ethiopian food is not the same as Middle Eastern food or Indian food, but sometimes you can use that data to make some rough estimates.

I would also remember the basic and obvious principles:
    -Clear broths and sauces are better than creamy.
    -Dishes heavy on vegetables and legumes are probably going to point-out better than dishes heavy on meat.
    -Grilled and baked tend to be better than fried.
    -Bread is a quick way to make a meal very point-heavy, so don't crazy.
    -Watch portions.

7. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

That's kinda what I did too. If I ate a huge meal at someplace terrible, I'd just spend all my extra points and only allow myself to buy more with exercise. If it was relatively healthy, I'd maybe blow half my points. Or just estimate.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just saw a WW commercial.

The girl in the commercial said something about having her food tracker on her phone. Is there a ww smartphone ap?

9. j_alexandra

BB and iPhone and Droid; BB and Droid, PP calculator apps; iPhone, an app on the app store. itunes dot apple dot com/us/app/weight-watchers-mobile/id331308914?mt=8.

10. j_alexandra

Spent the last week trying to maintain an exact weight, rather than lose. Am still tweaking the PP program, learning it. Managed to do just what I wanted. Woo hoo.

11. j_alexandra

combination dieting discovery/what I learned at my last comp:

1-pp laughing cows are a godsend; some protein, some fat, few points, portable, edible even when not chilled (not great, but edible), and not sweet

the orange I brought was ridiculously re fresh ing, zero pp, and while it was in my dance bag, it had picked up a rhinestone, got a kick out of that

a banana was the best post-dancing pick me up evah

I found it interesting that I brought cookies, chocolate, protein bars, and fruit and low-point cheese. What did I crave and eat? Fruit and cheese. No protein bar, no chocolate; who are you and what have you done with JA? Oh yeah, two cookies -- I made small choc chips to distribute, b/c you can make a lot of friends with homemade choc chip cookies. Alas, I did not get rid of all of them, and now they're sitting in my house, calling to me.

12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ohhh great insight JA, I never thought of bringing Laughing Cow cheese paks to ballroom. Your right - it's very travel friendly too. Last comp I did bring Extra - Mint Chocolate Chip gum (in addition to my oranges, blueberries) and left it on the table for everyone, it was successful in straving off the "chocolate" urge and saving us from the cookies. I only wish that after all that dancing - the WW PP chart graph had traveled downward instead of holding fast steady. At least it didn't go UP. lol.snicker.

13. pygmalion

Has anyone here now had enough time integrating LGS's into WW to be able to answer a question? I think it would help me to join WW online. WW offers lots of nifty tracking tools and information. But the whole zero points for fruit and veg idea bothers me. It seems like I might end up being required to eat too much food. (I know that sounds silly, but ...)

Anybody? No pressure. If not,that's fine.

14. j_alexandra

LGS made from fruit and veg. ZERO points plus. The LGS is a godsend for the new program. And yes, the program works, even with the sweet deliciousness of the LGS, that feels like you're cheating. You're not.

'Nuff said.

15. pygmalion

How do you feel about that alex? *grin* I'll check out WW online. :cool:

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I still say it depends on how you calculate things. Most fruit and veg is zero points. yay. But god help you if you put it in a "recipe"...cuz then it'll cost you points. Tweaks my OCD to no end.

As for being required to eat too much food...I ignore that. Push comes to shove, that's what a vodka tonic is for...to take up the slack points.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

how can zero points become points in a recipe? isn't it zero for fruit & greens, period?

18. pygmalion

That's one of my WW pet peeves. The formula they use to figure out the number of points is (at least used to be) based on the total number of calories in whatever you eat. So zero points worth of fruit and veg, taken alone, would be zero. But, added to a recipe, it might jack up the total number of calories in the recipe, thereby adding points.

Therefore, zero does not equal zero. Doesn't make sense to me, either. I figure calculate whatever you like; your body still metabolizes the same food the same way.

OTOH, I don't know that it's possible to come up with an equation that captures something as complex as food types, weight gain/loss, and metabolism. Overall, I think WW does a fine job.

19. j_alexandra

Calories are no longer directly factored in. Protein, carbohydrates, fat, fiber. Calories exist, of course, but the nutritional value of those calories seems to be more important on this iteration of WW. Adding fruit to a recipe that has other stuff in -- or adding other stuff to a fruit/veg only recipe -- changes the way the nutrients interact, so, voila! Points Plus.

So, if I add goji berries to an LGS, it is no longer zero PP. Or if I use coconut water. I weigh the gojis, or measure the coco water, and the add that PP value to the LGS. Hypothetically, some strawberries, some melon, some pineapple, some kiwi, some grapes, some spinach, zero points. Add 1 PP worth of gojis, it's a 1PP LGS.

But most fruit and veg -- especially the leafy greens that make an LGS an LGS -- are zero PP. MOST fruit and veg are zero points plus. It bears repeating: MOST. Those that are not, can be looked up.

20. pygmalion

Hmm. That makes sense -- a lot more sense than the old approach. The only potential problem I see is that I'd now be a lot more dependent on reference materials than in the past. I suppose there's no perfect approach. With the old calorie-based approach, things were pretty straightforward -- 50 calories was a point give or take. Lots and lots of fiber grams might take away a point from a multi-point item. Lots of fat would add point(s.) Easy breezy.

With a nutrient-interaction based approach, there's a lot more science that goes over my head. Not easy. Not breezy. There is a smartphone app, right?

Harumph.