Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

My mom is on the new program. I'm afraid it's a bust. My mom can sock away 5000 calories of fruit without realizing it. I keep telling her to go back to the old program, or at least to actually track her fruit intake.

FTR, I had her ask, and she was told that she is allowed five servings of fruit per day. Not that she started tracking it. :-/
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the thing. Fruit is high in sugar and calories (albeit also fiber, and very low in fat). I try to balance it with veggies. But even then, any sort of dressing or seeds/toppings to make it tasty is just so high in points.

Bottom line: I seem to run at least 9-11 points per meal, whether I want it or not, old plan or new. I'm not sure how I feel about whole grain stuff v. white flour stuff being about the same, points-wise.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm going to spend the weekend getting acquainted with stuff before I start actually trying the diet on Monday. We shall see. Fortunately for me, though, I like my fruits and veggies nekkid.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Live. Green. Smoothie.

2 fruit*, 1 or 2 veg, satisfying, appetite-killing, great nutrition, zero points plus. One of those, divided between mid morning and mid afternoon, and the urge to have a 9-PP meal eases.

Then again, 3 9-PP meals is 27 PP, which leaves 2 for self indulgence, or live large and use one of those things they used to call flex points, and have a 3 point indulgence (100 calorie Klondike bar is my crack of choice, these days) and you're still on plan and getting lots of fruit/veg. And it works. Add in the Garden Vegetable Soup, a cup with lunch and a cup with or before dinner, and voila, less hunger, more nutrition.

I'm with you about the whole wheat not being substantially different pp value. Whazzup with that? I understand they've done the nutritional analysis, but hey, I want to "pay" less for whole wheat pasta than for white. Meh. I've almost gotten used to the ridiculously expensive DeCecco whole wheat rotini, which come in at 4 pp per cup, instead of the 5 of white rotini.

*I'll use an apple and a bunch of grapes, or a mix of melons and berries, and a double fistful of baby spinach, b/c unlike Sami, I am not a huge fan of greens I can actually taste
  5. pygmalion

Checking out the site. They still encourage the two servings of dairy per day, I see. *not pleased*
  6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Now that it's summer I've started LGSing again, Peach, mango, and watermelon for today. Yum.
  7. pygmalion

I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be tweaked the program a bit, once they see how people actually use the program. The first time I was on ww, a billion years ago, fiber could virtually erase calories. When I joined a few years later, the rules had changed, I assume because people were eating high calorie, high fiber foods that accumulated few points and they were not losing weight.

WW is a work in progress, always, which I suppose is a good thing. :)
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Good for you!

Winter(ish) here, and I'm LGSing up a storm too! Have been filing up a big glass jug with two batches and taking it to work every day...

In the evenings, we're big into "Super Salads", now. Last night: Mixed babies with red onion (done up nice n' thin on the mandoline) with sliced mangoesand apples, with olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon. *yum*

Side of chicken wings...wonderful din.
  9. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

When my mom was on the old program, she lost weight steadily. I think the biggest factor was eliminating unconscious eating, because she had to write down everything she ate. That cut out the sweets and limited the fruits. So I think having anything other than water be free can work out to be a problem for someone.
  10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'm on the program! I do maintenance, since I'm at goal. (Originally hit goal 9/28/04, so 7 years ago. Yay me.)

Ignore the dairy recommendation if that doesn't work for you.

To me, the tracking is the most important aspect.

I average 6 PPs for breakfast, 8 for lunch, 0-6 for afternoon snack, 6-8 for dinner, the rest for dessert and evening snacks. I get 35/day (to maintain between 130-136 lbs).

I also always eat my activity points (or whatever we call them now; the PPs one earns by exercising). On days I put in 6 miles on the treadmill, I have 6 more PointsPlus to spend, which pretty much rocks.

1 tbsp of craisins is about 1 pt, and 2 tbsp of reduced fat feta is about 1 pt. That adds a lot of fun to a salad without adding a lot of PointPlus values.

My favorite sweet treat of late? You will be sorry I told you this, but Petit Ecolier extra dark chocolate cookies are 2 for 3 PointsPlus. They are insanely good. Also expensive.

I know this is probably obvious, but for me, including protein is the key to not feeling weak or hungry.

For example, my typical breakfast:
    1 tbsp chunky peanut butter (3) on 1 piece Nature's Own Double Fiber Whole Wheat bread (1)
    1 slice of Lucerne 2% milk med sharp cheddar (2) OR hard-boiled egg (2)
    banana (free)
    orange (free)
    TOTAL: 6 points.
  11. pygmalion

Yes to this. I'm much better when I diversify my food choices -- a little protein and some complex carbs, and I'm good.

Fave ww breakfast from past days:

slice reduced calorie whole wheat/high fiber toast
    cup of fruit
    6 oz non fat yogurt
    1/2 cup oj (my high calorie density splurge)

It hit all the high points. Protein, fiber and a feeling of NOT being deprived. It worked for me.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Whole wheat is really high fat (because it includes the oils in the grain.) White flour isn't. Whole wheat might have more nutrients, but it also has way more calories. (It also goes sour. I keep mine in the freezer and warm it up for baking.)

I can't do counting systems. It turns into substituting one eating disorder for another.

I'm just on a 'whatever looks good' diet which right now means apples. Every store has local-grown apples. I think I'm going to have to make applesauce, especially as the store bought kind just tastes slimy to me now, even the "natural" brands-I think it's just run through the food processor so many times it's too smooth. (I've gotten weirdly picky about almost anything packaged. It all tastes funny. About the only thing that doesn't bother me is mass-produced white bread. Other baked goods all have to come from the bakery counter. All the corn syrup, probably, fructose doesn't cook like glucose, it just doesn't. I'm sure the yeast would agree, if yeast could think.) I've got two bags of Jonamac and half a bag left of Empires. I wonder if you can make applesauce in a crock pot....
  13. pygmalion

I hear you. This is why I stopped attending ww meetings -- too many food obsessed people who substituted obsession with low-cal foods for obsession with unhealthy foods. Obsession is obsession. Why not take up smoking while you're at it?

That has nothing to do with counting, IME.
  14. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying, and I'm sure ww isn't right for everyone.

It works for me, though. I do best when I can specifically quantify things, like "I will grade 5 papers before I go do something fun," "I will put in 6 miles on the treadmill," "The proper portion-size is one cup of turkey chili."

I also love the idea that there are no off-limits foods, and that it's all about portions and trade offs. I would be very sad with a lifelong eating plan that absolutely forbade pizza or breakfast potatoes or black and white cookies. I don't need those things every day, but I like to know I can have them from time to time.

I never did meetings either, by the way. I bought an at-home kit for $99. I am pretty self-disciplined, and also enjoy bargains, and felt this was the better deal for me.
  15. CANI

CANI Active Member

FYI...

I've mentioned Dr. Fuhrman on DF in the past. Just wanted to let people know that he has a six-week holiday challenge which starts soon (11/21/11, I think). During this challenge, he provides free access to his member center. So, if you were thinking of ever checking out his info, here is a way to do so, free of charge for a while. He e-mails out a daily recipe. The member center, like DF, is a forum. So you can ask tons of questions about recipes, ideas, planning meals, etc. Each person doing the holiday challenge typically starts a thread with their goals, and, like DF, lots of people cheer each person on each day. The member center also has a section where people can ask the doctors (such as Dr. Fuhrman and his staff) questions directly. People typically lose quite a bit of weight during the six weeks.

To be sure, Dr. Fuhrman's books can easily be found in the library, and you can educate yourself on his information and plans and follow them without any involvement with his web-site. However, some people really like that kind of support, and if you do, here's an option for you.

I'm not currently a member of the member center. Just wanted to pass this along in the event you have an interest.

www. drfuhrman.com (delete the space)
  16. pygmalion

Thanks, CANI. :-D
  17. pygmalion

Question to dieters (not necessarily WW dieters.) Do you count salsa as a vegetable serving? My DS loves salsa and often eats it by the bowl full. It's basically tomatoes and peppers. It's low sodium and non-fat. I can't see why that wouldn't count as a serving of veggies (or technically fruit, since tomatoes, technically, are fruit.)

FTR. I let him eat as much salsa as he wants, but control the amount and sodium content of anything he wants to dip, if he wants to dip. Often, he eats salsa all by itself.
  18. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

veggies still count as veggies if you dice 'em, purée them, cook 'em down...
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wrt salsa: salt isn't the only thing to look for...there can be sugar as well...but there are certainly worse things to eat...if you make your own, I would be more likely to count that as a veggie ....otherwise, I think it depends upon the brand...
  20. pygmalion

Yeah. You're right, fasc. People add all sorts of weird stuff to foods, so it always pays to read the label. As it so happens, the salsa that DS eats has 130 calories, 0 grams of fat and 20 grams of naturally occuring sugars -- probably from tomato (no added sugar) in a whole jar that contains about two cups of salsa. Not bad. Sounds like veggies to me. As long as he keeps eating it by the spoon and not on fatty, salty things, I think he'll be okay.