Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

seems like it
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I genuinely hope so, since he ate an entire jar for a snack this afternoon. Teenagers! :lol:
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yeppers....btdt
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You mean things like tortilla chips? ;)
  5. pygmalion

Yep.

Right at the moment, the boy can drink/ eat a bowl of salsa all by itself or will sometimes dip crudites. That works for me. An entire bag of tortilla chips? Not so much. :wink: :)
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Definitely a veggie, given the parameters you're talking about. Homemade would be even healthier, but even not going that route (cuz I don't imagine you'll get good tomatoes in winter, which would stink) it still counts.
  7. Peaches

Discovered this new yogurt at the grocery store this weekend: Siggi's Icelandic style (whatever the blank that means) yogurt. No sugar added (agave nectar used instead), non-growth hormone treated milk, yada yada. I actually don't like the consistency (super, super thick--makes Greek style look watery), or the cost ($1.99 per 5.3oz cup)...but the nutritional side of things make me think it'll become a regular part of my diet. 100 calories, 0 fat, and 14 grams of protein. Holy cow. Talk about not being hungry for hours and hours after. Highly recommend.

And the orange & ginger flavor was really good, I gotta admit.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'll look for it at the grocery store.
  9. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Thick yogurts accomplish that by draining out the whey, using a cheese cloth or such. Also known as yogurt cheese. I get the same effect by adding a lot of milk powder to my milk when I make yogurt. Point is, it's expensive because it starts out as double the amount of regular yogurt.
  10. Peaches

Yep. I suppose I could go ahead with making my own and straining it and adding milk powder...but at that point I feel like I'm running up agains the cost-effectiveness barrier. That, coupled with my own inherent laziness, and I'm become more willing to throw money at the problem. ;) Regardless, the combination of high nutrition and low fat and low calories makes it a winning combo IMO. If only it had more fiber and/or calcium. I guess that's what fruit is for.
  11. pygmalion

Does anybody know what Weight Watchers 360 is about?
  12. toothlesstiger

Actually, I'm at the point that it's simply easier and cheaper for me to just make my own yogurt. I've been doing it now for close to a decade, so you could say the process is streamlined a bit. Around the time I started DW bought me a Salton yogurt maker, the one that does a quart at a time all in one container. I have a couple of glass peanut butter jars that fit in it perfectly. I mix the milk with the milk powder, whisk a bit, and then microwave to above 160 degrees F. Put the lid on the jar and let it cool. Then add some of the old batch of yogurt, put it in the yogurt maker, and forget about it til morning. I actually find that easier than shopping for yogurt. I started doing it when I was doing low carb, and wanted to make sure all the lactose was fermented out.
    I don't bother straining, adding the milk powder has the equivalent effect.

As to calcium, isn't dairy supposed to be some of the most bio-available calcium?
  13. Peaches

Dunno. I hope so, given how much of it I tend to eat!

I've discovered that adding a lot more protein to what I eat changes how I feel hunger. I still get hungry, but it's MUCH less likely to be the dangerous-to-small-children, shaky, apt-to-inhale-approximately-1 billion-calories-in-five-minutes sort. Not rocket science, I know; I knew there was such a difference, but I'm shocked by how stark it is. I've never understood how people could mostly just ignore hunger until their next meal, because I've always gotten hungry and then ravenous (see: danger to small children). At that point, I don't care what anyone says, it's about uncontrollable--when I get to the point where I can't think straight, and have a hard time holding a pen or writing, it's not normal hunger that I can just ignore any more. But with more protein I don't get that; I get hungry, and it's annoying, but I can ride it out. Such a new feeling.
  14. pygmalion

Protein as in protein powder?
  15. Peaches

Cottage cheese, string cheese, meat at lunch time (chicken, diced ham, turkey slices) or legumes, fish for dinner. Not everything every day, but probably two or three of those each day. I can't remember the last time I ate this much meat or dairy on a regular basis. Kind of strange.
  16. toothlesstiger

Recently came across the recommendation for weight loss: 30g of protein within 30 minutes of when you wake up. It's supposed to keep you satisfied for a long time, and rev up your metabolism. That's the same as 5 large eggs. I can't report, though, on its efficacy. Waiting for my schedule to settle into a routine before I try it.
  17. pygmalion

Oh okay. Yeah. when I'm dieting, I find the same thing. If I have some protein at every meal or snack, I feel full all day long. I actually like to have some protein plus something involving fiber, such as a piece of WW toast plus a string cheese dealie. Or anything involving beans. There's something about that balance that makes the food last longer for me. *shrug*

I'm not a big fan of milk or yogurt, but what the heck. It's convenient and easy, so I try it. :)
  18. Peaches

I've heard that too. Regardless of anything else, it ain't gonna happen here. LOL. I can't bring myself to eat before around 7am or 7:30. Trying to work breakfast into my schedule between "waking up" at 4:15 (aka: hitting snooze for 25 minutes) and rushing out the door at 5:30 just isn't going to happen.
  19. pygmalion

Yikes. That's a lot of cholesterol. I'd probably use the old multiple egg whites with one yellow trick. A lot less fat and cholesterol but still plenty of protein. :cool:
  20. pygmalion

My go to breakfast = ham and cheese on low cal whole wheat bread with mustard. One minute to make. Could eat it while on the train if you were so inclined. :)