Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

My current favorite is a baby spinach and mixed green salad with some cut up turkey or ham, chickpeas, some walnuts or sunflower seeds, maybe a sprinkle of feta or something, and vinaigrette. That, with a string cheese and a piece of fruit or raw veggies as a snack, and I'm a happy camper.

I will say that having to think about packing 2 meals plus 1 or 2 snacks for a day at work is kind of a pain. But it's either that or I pack for three full meals at work. No way I can last from lunchtime at noon, to eating dinner around 8-ish without something in between. Maybe better people could do it, but it's not me.

2. Peaches

Bingo. DH does that all the time. He'll make himself scrambled eggs and go through four or five of them...but with only 1/2 or 1 yolk, just for color. Now neither of us can stand it with full eggs...too...something. Rich? Solid? Something.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

If you have a fridge at work, try packing on the weekend and planning ahead for most of the week. Or else stock your desk with non-perishable snacks. I have a GF who is a long distance runner. Her desk drawers are full of almonds, cashews, trail mix, etc. My desk has light soup and other nibbles.

It can be done. It's a PITA at first, but it can be done.

4. Peaches

I've tried the stocked desk...problem is I have no self-control, so I end up nibbling them when I get bored or stressed. (Did I mention I'm an emotional eater. Yeah...most definitely.) What seems to work for me, if i can get my act together, is to cut/cook/prep/pack my lunches in advance on Sunday. I put the packed lunches, in their bags, in our fridge at home. That way I can just grab one on the way out the door. If I don't do that, I'm out of luck.

5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

WRT eggs, all the scientific evidence I've come across indicates that the liver makes all the cholesterol in your blood stream. The cholesterol you eat does not go to your blood stream. Anyway, all the really good nutrition (the stuff that turns a single cell into a baby chicken) is in the yolk.

6. Peaches

See, and I've heard pretty much the exact opposite about cholesterol and eggs. Shrug. Reminds me of George Carlin's rant about milk: is it good for you or bad for you?

7. pygmalion

This sounds like an excellent plan.

8. Peaches

"Plan" being the operative word in that sentence. ;)

pygmalion likes this.
  9. toothlesstiger

I don't believe the conventional wisdom on diet is backed by science. I don't want to get on a rant about it, though. Short version for me right now is that refined carbohydrates, particularly modern dwarf wheat and fructose, are the primary culprits in a spectrum of metabolic ills, and that animal products have gotten an undeserved bad rap.

10. toothlesstiger

Anecdotal note on egg yolks. Some dozen years ago, I went low carb. Breakfast was a half dozen eggs and half of pound of bacon, every day. Lots of whole milk yogurt and cheese, lots of meat, dark leafy greens and berries to make sure the few carbs I ate were as nutrient dense as possible. I dropped 10lbs per month, and my cholesterol had dropped from the previous visit when I went to the doctor. I didn't tell him what I was eating, he just said keep up the good work. I ate as much as I wanted, no privation.

I don't know that I would do the same diet again, but that experience convinced me, at least with respect to my body, that conventional dietary wisdom was full of it, as far as my body was concerned.

I don't want to say this diet is right for everyone. I see new evidence for other beneficial variations all the time. And if the conventional wisdom works for you, more power to you. But for me, the conventional Italian wisdom, too much bread and pasta makes you fat and unhealthy, is closer to the truth.

11. Peaches

See, and i would feel deprived on that diet. Unfortunately, what I crave more than anything else is starch/carbs--bread and pasta. Oh dear god, do I crave those things. No amount of cutting them out of my diet ends that craving, the way that cutting out sugar or caffeine will make those cravings stop. Every effing g-d day...that's what I want. And, unfortunately, I don't have any sense of self-control with them either. I don't bring them into the house, except white bread for DH, and even that tempts me. Without them, achieving satiety is rather difficult for me.

I've known people that have lost with the sort of diet you describe, and I've seen the same thing happen with a non-fat vegetarian diet. Shrug. I just think that everyone has to find what works for them. Maybe one of these days I'll find what works for me.

12. toothlesstiger

I'm Italian. I bake my own bread and make my own pasta from scratch. Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. But I also know how bad they are for me. I'm starting to suspect wheat for other problems I have besides weight as well.

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I started using Sensa as of January 1. I know someone who lost over 30 pounds using Sensa.

I pack my lunch everyday for work, which usually includes a small (kid's size) greek yogurt, baby carrot and celery sticks or an apple, and some other items. I also pack two snacks, one for morning and one for afternoon. Usually the snacks are a small pack of nuts or raisins.

Packing my lunch is a pain, but it does help control what I'm eating, and it saves money. If I'm going to have something extra, most of the time it's a hot cup of tea.

14. toothlesstiger

The trick is the "healthy diet" part. Sometimes foods that are considered "healthy" can have significant adverse effects on the metabolism, and other aspects of health, of particular individuals. There is no "one size fits all". And even that changes with time.

samina and Purr like this.
  15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Re: protein-rich breakfast.

I discovered something the other day: Breakfast muffins.

Make up an egg/milk/food mix like you would to make an omelette. A big omelette. I used 12 medium eggs, and bit of skim milk, and some frozen veggies.

Grease up a muffin pan, and pour the egg mix in. Bake for ~20 minutes, and breakfast muffins! I put a little cheese on top of each, as well.

I keep them in a container in the fridge...this batch made 9 large ones, and if I'd used large eggs, it would've probably made 12. It's now really easy for me to have breakfast, when I don't usually feel like preparing/cooking/eating anything on my way to work at 5.30am

16. toothlesstiger

This is brilliant, I'll be giving it a try. :)

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

You can put anything in them...bacon, turkey, tomato, even some protein powder if you want.

fascination likes this.
  18. pygmalion

To answer my own question, it looks like the WW program has been revamped again to account for something called hedonic hunger -- meaning that, even if you're physically full, you can experience a biologically-based (not psychological) hunger, if you're exposed to foods that you love. Of course, no details are given. WW is very good at protecting its proprietary info (Good for them! IMO) but that seems to be the crux of it.

You can be hungry even when you're not. Something to do with pleasure centers in the brain.

19. Riplash

Riplash Member

I only quoted one of the two posts I am responding to.

How do you define "Healthy Diet". If anyone asked me to define a healthy diet. I would turn, duck, hide and avoid this topic.

I think each of us are so varied in our makeup, activities, and stuff, that a healthy diet cannot be defined for us as a whole.

Purr likes this.
  20. pygmalion

Exactly.

I have family members on chemo. I have other family members who are diabetic. I have a family member on dialysis. I have family members who are seven? and fifteen and 32. I'm not gonna tell you how old I am. lol. but I have high blood pressure and I had two strokes last year. I have family members who are in active military service and who burn thousands of calories a day. I have family members who are so skinny that I worry about anorexia and I have family members who are fat.

Good luck trying to define healthy for such a diverse group.