Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Anyone read Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health, by Gary Taubes?

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Just ordered from library.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

If I lived at your house, it would be one jar of chili, one jar of cherries, and a vanilla yogurt.....for the rest of my life

pygmalion likes this.
  4. fascination

most of the intensely serious fitness people I know ascribe to this...usually in the form of raw egg blended concoctions in the morning...but are definitely into the big protein breakfast theory...since I work out pretty early (before I can bear the thought of eating, i wonder if it would still be okay to do it at brunch time...or if I fubar it by waiting that long and having too long a fast then working out without eating first, if I tell my metabolism to slow down?

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

lol!

She's a kick-butt canner, isn't she?

6. fascination

7. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I don't know. I work out early, too, but I can't bear the thought of working out when my last meal was 12 hours before. I get tired just at the thought. This tip comes from The 4-Hour Body, and the author says that is the single hack (30g of protein before you've been up 30min) he'd recommend for weight loss. It apparently kick-starts your metabolism in the morning, in addition to satisfying your appetite for a long time.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Aren't you guys sweet! *blush*

9. fascination

well....it is something I am willing to try...but I would have to wake a good deal earlier because I have to have 2 hours between eating and working out or I constantly feel likeIwill be losing my meal

10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The difficulty there for me would be that when I'm working out regularly, I generally take my breakfast in liquid form. (Milk+protein powder) The idea of having all that sloshing around when I run is not appealing to me. I think if I was going to try that, I'd have to keep cold roast chicken on hand. I think I could probably handle eating that before I ran.

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

uhhh, there is no way in _____ I'm putting "raw" eggs into my body. The mere thought of potentially bad things that come with raw eggs...eewwww.
    I'll stick with oatmeal or almond milk smoothies with fruit, honey, whey protein powder, cinnamon and one tablespoon of "fat" like avocado or almond butter (organic), OR "So Delicious" Greek Coconut Milk Yogourt. And I can still work out 30 minutes later without my body in revolt or other fubar side affects. If I do anything other than this, I better wait 2 hours and even then it makes me feel miserable. It's an interesting thought though, chowing/drinking/mixing that many eggs in the first 30 minutes of waking. But still....eeeewwwwwww.

12. toothlesstiger

My mom would give me raw egg yolks when I was a kid, mixed with milk and sugar. I never could stomach raw egg whites. You can purchase pasteurized eggs, which can be handy for dishes that require raw eggs. Me, considering where the badness comes from, I find it adequate to wash the shells before cracking the eggs in such circumstances.
    Anyway, I don't eat raw eggs now. I started today with five eggs scrambled. And I've got protein powder mix that could give me the 30g on days when I don't have the time or stomach for that many eggs.
    As to working out after meals... Pretty much within 30 minutes after most meals I could do anything I am currently capable of. But I don't generally take big meals, and my liquid intake is very moderate a meal time. The times I take in a lot of fluid are times when food won't interfere much with absorption.

13. fascination

I can suffer through if I am not leading the class....but if I have to talk through the entire thing, urge to URP is too strong...my general routine is a cup of coffee with skim milk and a vitamin water or powerade zero...then it's home to my big meal of the day...i could certainly commit to making that be a bunch of eggs...but I am guessing that you have to do that 30 min after waking thing.....going to try it post work out first and see how it goes...today the protein du jour is turkey, three bean chili ......

14. toothlesstiger

On the topic of dieting discoveries, I've come across folks that are extolling the virtues of potatoes. Basic idea seems to be that if you keep the condiments, i.e., the fat content, down, they are very satisfying, and impossible to overeat. Mostly I've come across on this on the "Free the Animal" blog.

15. fascination

lol...without the condiments, I don't see the point...unless it's in a soup

16. pygmalion

Fave (super filling) lunch at Wendy's when I was on WW years ago: Half a plain baked potato topped with chili. Yummy and filling. And pretty low in fat.

17. fascination

well,chili on anything is perfect and wonderful :)

18. pygmalion

lol! So true, so true.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's supposedly very dry and dense, so I ordered his other book, Why We Get Fat instead.

20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

re: new WW program: thanks for the info. I have been considering going back, b/c I have been irresponsible with food recently. However, last time I went back, I tried the Points Plus program, and it absolutely did not work for me; 3 months, 3 pounds? FTN. So, I'm basically gun shy about WW these days -- and I used to be a true believer.

What I did: borrowed materials from the old, effective program, and am going back to what I know works for me. Granted, it was 10 years ago, and my body has changed in that time <koff menopause koff> but I am extremely hopeful that it'll work again.

If it doesn't, well, I'll try the new program.

RE: massive protein early: I learned a long time ago that if I have a big protein blast, balanced with a few carbs, I will go for a long time before getting hungry again. At present, that means: one egg, 2 whites, 2 oz of low-sodium ham, perhaps 1/2 oz of cheese, and a piece of high fiber whole wheat bread. If I have this an hour before working out, I have no problems whatsoever. I do not know how people work out without eating. Fuel is fuel; if you workout without it, you're driving a car with no gas.

ChaChaMama likes this.