Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

One thing that worked for me was to make things that I could customize, for example stir fry. I could serve myself a small amount of pasta (or whatever) with a plateful of vegs and a morsel or two of meat. DS could have lots of whatever he wanted. We'd both be eating the same thing, but I'd have a fraction of the calories that he did.

2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I did say OR, as I can plainly see those two don't agree with eachother. Like I said, I will want my cheese.

3. wonderwoman

It's times like these I miss when I had a REAL (career) job, a decent income, and could go out on Saturday mornings and slowly peruse the aisles of my local supermarket, just picking up whatever struck my fancy. Because 80% of what struck my fancy, truly, was healthy, albeit expensive, but at that time, well within my budget. Now I eat cheap garbage. And I eat it all week long. That's not moderation.

I'm a PCA, personal care aide. One of my clients is a registered dietician, 90 years old. She has never smoked a cigarette, never drank an alcoholic drink, everything she takes in to her body has to have some health benefit. Even the Entenmann's donuts have a reason, because you can't deprive yourself of treats. But she keeps a strict regimen of fresh produce, lean meats, etc.. She is SO anal about her groceries, which I buy for her, and I think that's why she's lived so long. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

It was really funny, the last time I saw her she asked me if I went to a gym to exercise. I said no, but I used to walk (before it got cold). She said, used to? honey you aren't getting any younger! I said yes, I know I should go out and walk a couple miles even on cold days. I said I don't know if you've noticed but I've gained weight since I've started working for you. She said yes, she'd noticed. I said, I think it shows in my face and my neck. She said, haha, child, it doesn't show in your face and neck, it shows in your bottom! How refreshing. Seriously.

4. pygmalion

Your dietician client sounds precious. Wise lady. I hope you enjoy her. ;) Have you considered asking her about ways that you can improve your eating habits without breaking the bank?

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Right. His basic premise is that carbs elevate insulin levels, which drives fat deposition.

The ghrelin/leptin business only tells your body whether or not to be hungry, not whether or not to burn fat.

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I know, I was more intending to commiserate with you than lecture you. Sorry if it came off badly.

7. pygmalion

True. That was just one illustration of the idea that it's not quite as simple as calories in/calories out. :cool: Kinda like, when my kind was in fourth? fifth? grade, he was introduced to pi. the "on-level" math kids substituted the number 3 for Pi. (*shudder*) The pre-AP kids used 3.14 for pi. Now that he's in ninth grade and has a graphing calculator, he uses *wait for it* pi for pi. Was 3 a good approximation? Sorta. At least it introduced them to the concept and got them in the same city with the right answer. 3.14 was a better approximation and got them in the neighborhood. But actually using pi gets them to the best answer (until they round the result incorrectly, but that's a different subject. lol)

Same deal with weight loss/gain, etc, IMV. I think that, looking at things as a simple in plus out equation DOES get you in the city, for sure, but it's like using 3 for pi. There are a lot more digits of accuracy we could go after and, IMHO, probably more to come as people learn more about how appetite/metabolism, etc actually work.

8. wonderwoman

lol Yes, I totally couldn't tell! It's okay!!