Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Trader Joe's has dried tart cherries, which are even better than craisins. Mmm... yummy.
  2. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I like plain oatmeal with cinnamon and splenda. Cinnamon is great for controlling blood sugar levels.
    With regard to instant oatmeal, its not as healthy as plain, but adding a tablespoon of protein powder would help with the sugar content.

I also like organic apples with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter as a snack.
  3. hereKittyKitty

and celery with low fat cream cheese...
  4. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Sometimes I fervently wish I didn't think celery was the most vile excuse for food... It is really in everything, which I also think is quite vile:(
  5. hereKittyKitty

lol....My dad liked celery, I must have inherited this trait:eyebrow: But, then again I like plain cucumbers as well so maybe its just me. Most everyone I know detests celery.
  6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

to hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty, I love celery and cucumbers, too... :)

Seeing your post here reminded me of the Whole Foods stores that I used to go to in the SF Bay Area. The exact locations of them have begun to fade. I think there was one on Stevens Creek Blvd (or thereabouts)...
  7. hereKittyKitty

There is a new Whole Foods on Stevens Creek that is the largest (or second largest) in the country..Its great! They relocated from elsewhere on Stevens creek. There is another one in Campbell. Its not as large but they have a juice bar which is nice.
  8. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I also enjoy celery and plain cucumbers :)
  9. hereKittyKitty

Glad to know I'm not alone in my celery and cucumber likes :)
    I remember someone mentioning Fage Greek yogurt in another thread. This is a great diet snack if you get the 2% fat. Really delicious. My favorite is the honey as well as cherry flavors.
  10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To ireniecat

And I also like Trader Joe's and dried tart cherries! :)
  11. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Mmm throw some salt on those cucumbers and they taste so much better too ;)
  12. hereKittyKitty

Or Cajun seasoning:D
  13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That sounds good! I also like cucumber slices after dipping them in really good vinegar!

:p
  14. hereKittyKitty

That sounds delicious. I'll have to try that:)
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, yes--if you have quite a few other drinks you'll get pretty hammered! :D
  16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I have no issues whatsoever with cucumbers; I can eat those plain or, better yet, dipped in salty sour cream;)

Fage is awesome; so is Chobani. But I only get the 0% fat. Not brave enough to splurge on the fat-containing ones... I like the plain ones best with my own additives like Kashi GoLean cereal, berries and splenda.
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Fat free greek yogurt I usually do Fage combined with garlic, shredded cucumbers, and lemon juice (yes, this is tzatziki) salt to your tolerance

The whole (small) container is something like 2 points

mini Thomas's whole wheat pita (1pt) toasted, cut into 8ths, dipped into the tzatziki

ridiculously delish

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Checked my grocery store. No Greek yogurt. Hmm.

And as for cucumbers, I like mine plain. Totally plain, peeled or not, depending on my mood and whether they're organic. But plain, sliced or diced. I don't even need salt, although I will occasionally add some, for variety.

I also like to make diced cucumber and tomato salad for dinner when I have company. (You can also add onion if you like.) I toss the diced veggies/fruits together, take out a portion for me (plain,) then toss the rest of the salad with a light vinaigrette dressing for everybody else. It's easy to make, a nice side dish for company, and zero points for me, unless I gorge myself on it. :cool:
  19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I like plain nonfat yogurt with crushed mint leaves.
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Hard to believe. No Oikos, which IIRC comes from Stonyfield Farms? No Fage? Gasp! You're in TX, yes? Try a health food store if you must. The greek-style stuff is significantly yummier. And you can make your own with warm milk, a T of yogurt for a starter, and a blanket to insulate the cups of milk w/starter...