Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I checked and I asked. No Greek yogurt. There'll probably be some next week, though. My grocery is a "flagship" store whatever that means. Customer service rules. I will have yogurt. lol.
  2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Sounds good...
  3. pygmalion

And on the diet front, what do you all think about fiber? Just curious. The first time I did WW, about 10 years ago, fiber was like a get out of jail free pass. The more fiber, the fewer points. Full stop. Vegetarian chili, for example, had virtually no points because it was so high in fiber. Since then, WW has changed and maxed out the fiber benefit at 4 or 5 grams. Does this make sense?

Ok. So here's the question. In your diet travels, how much attention, if any, do you pay to fiber content of foods? Do you ever take (eat or drink) fiber supplements? If so, which ones and why?
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

live green smoothies. no need for supplements.
  5. pygmalion

Good point. LGS should come in at about 2 points, unless I miss my guess. Not bad. :)
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Mine always seemed to come in higher, like 4 or 5. Two pieces of fruit (a couple of pears, or apples, or a peach and something else), a bunch of spinach. Suddenly...five points, a third of my daily allowance (just about), just for breakfast, and I'd be starving by 10am. It never worked out for me.

I'll give ww credit for working, but it just didn't work so well for me. It made me completely obsessed with food, which is not a good thing when trying to diet. And even trying to go for bulk without calories (chopped salads--cucumbers, peppers, carrots) seemed to take up so many points. I was always hungry, or going over, and still obsessed.

ETA: Oh, and miserable. I was so busy trying not to be hungry and stay within my points that I felt like I could never eat anything for enjoyment...ever. It made eating just one miserable experience of never eating for enjoyment, just to balance math and hunger. And without eating for enjoyments, well...what's the point?
  7. pygmalion

Two medium sized pieces of fruit = 2 points. a couple cups of spinach = 0 points.

And I hear you. The reason I was able to stick with WW is that, after the first couple of weeks, I was able to stop thinking about food, which I think is the goal. I created a modular eating pattern I was comfortable with and then stopped thinking about it. Period.

If you're thinking about food, you're gonna eat it.

Eh. Not every diet plan works for every body. *shrug*
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i pay neither points nor calories no mind whatsoever... just how i roll, heh.
  9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Depends on what's in it. And if you ask The Smoothie Queen of the Universe, she'll tell you that counting points for an LGS isn't really useful -- the nature of the nutrition, the speed and efficiency with which it's absorbed into your system, become some kind of calorie blind spot or wtte.

On top of that, I find that if I add gojis and hemp seeds to my second-favorite LGS (apple, grapes, spinach), it becomes 5 points; the energy boost from 1pt worth of gojis and 2 pts of hemp seeds makes it a 5 pt smoothie, but it's enough protein (hemp seeds full of) and energy to get me through a whole morning, even a workout -- which blew my mind the first time I experimented with it. It felt like Food, not like a food-substitute; I consider it breakfast and a pre-workout energy kick, not a snack. W/o the gojis and hemp, it's a snack, imho.

My absolute fave LGS has a point count so high that I indulge in it carefully; 3 1/2 pcs fruit (banana, orange, clementine), a young coconut, gojis. Energy up the wazoo and delicious, but I have to go work it off immediately: gives me too much energy to sit still and do computer work or read or something.

So, much as I am reluctant to say it (I being a true believer in calories-in-calories-out, and having fought the Smoothie Queen tooth and nail about it), the LGS may very well be in a category by itself.

DIDJA HEAR ME, SAM? DIDJADIDJA?????
  10. pygmalion

Scared 'a you sis! :lol:

And I think you have the key. Find an eating/exercise plan that will get you where you want to be -- health or weight wise. Stick with the plan and don't worry about counting.
  11. pygmalion

rotfl!
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

haha... luv it.

for weight loss, it's simple to my mind: don't track points & calories, track how much live food you can get into your diet, and get your sweat on. that's it.

maximum vitality, maximum oxygen. done. weight will fall off.

not all calories are calories, or fat fat... as JA's fave smoothie can attest. some high-fat foods (*cough-coconut oil-cough*) raise one's metabolic rate and you end up burning off more than if you didn't eat them. gojis... noni juice... hemp seeds... young coconut... raw cacao with avocado... those are other high-calorie faves of mine for jacking it up when i wanna lose weight.

which is now, fwiw.
  13. pygmalion

Yep. When I was at my skinniest, I ate the most. I just had a wild and crazy, burnin up, metabolism.
  14. Peaches

Yeah...there's the exercising side of the equation which I don't do. Er...HATE, really.

I should try some of those things. God knows I've tried everything else...even exercise from time to time. Perhaps I'll become a convert. (But not avocado--GAG!) Alls I know is, some --ing thing has to give. Now.
  15. Peaches

Me too. But I was 18, working 10 hours a day either on a horse farm or running after three kids, with hours spent every day in a pool.
  16. pygmalion

Hate to tell you this, P, but I believe that exercise is the key. How's about finding a form of exercise that you don't hate?

It could be cleaning the house, walking in the park, swimming laps ... doesn't have to be old school calisthenics in a gym to be exercise.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, those two things -- live foods & sweating -- will break the stalemate for you.

i wonder if you'd like zumba. it's more like dance than exercise. might be a way to sneak the sweating in past your aversion sensors...:cool:
  18. Peaches

Yeah, I know. Still hate it. I like jumping off a boat and paddling around in the water, but other than that I really hate exercise--traditional or otherwise. Seriously. I'm a book with a drink and a smoke on the deck kinda girl. Or a lying in bed staring at the ceiling for hours kinda girl.
  19. Peaches

See, I feel like I can go the healthy food route, and be really good about it for a while...and then everything will go to hell in a handbasket. It's like if I don't feed that stuff to my body in little bits over time, it WILL get its revenge. And, yeah, I know about breaking cravings and whatnot...I can do that to some extent (sugar, especially), but a lot of things I can't break.

ETA: Oh, and zumba happens in gyms or gym-like locations. I hate gyms. They intimidate the bejeebus out of me in ways I can't even begin to describe. I hate them more than I hate libraries (for rather similar reasons, actually), and I truly loathe libraries.
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

in my world, there's no need to give that stuff up. just add the LGSs... add the sweating... eat a bit of your crap to stay happy... lose the weight without stress.

i might go up to 95% live foods but i'll still have a chocolate cupcake or vanilla sweet thing when i want... (or some cheese and pretzels)... with zero percent guilt. i need some sin to balance the virtue. ;)