Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Eeek! Hate? Libraries? Fanning self to avoid fainting. J/K!!!

You know who you are, P, better than anybody else possibly can. Is there a way to trick yourself into getting exercise? Or can you make yourself just do it?

IME, getting into the habit is tons more dificult than staying in the habit. Os it possible to make exercise automatic -- like brushing your teeth?

2. pygmalion

When I did a diet last year, I went raw all day, took a 20-minute walk every weekday and lost 20 pounds in 4 months. Never counted anything and ate or drank whatever I wanted at night.

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

There's always lots and lots and lots of dancing. The best exercise there is, as it does not feel like exercising, with the music and all! A lot easier on me than the lots and lots of tennis that I used to play. I used to swim a lot more, but I don't miss the chlorinated pool water and my preference (the ocean) is not available since I moved. And dance is more fun than the running that I used to do...

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Huh. I lost weight and have maintained the loss using the ww system for 5 1/2 years...and I think I've eaten chocolate close to every one of those days. Different strokes!

I do keep track of points, but it doesn't bother me. It's just another thing to keep track of, like "Is there gas in the car?" I would no more stop ww because I have to track this than I would stop driving because I have to keep track of gas and oil changes.

WW is a way to make me a more MINDFUL EATER and more MINDFUL OF PORTIONS. I think that's the key for me: I can eat ANYTHING I want on WW. I eat peanut butter daily. I eat pasta fairly regularly. I eat chocolate. I eat ice cream. I just can't eat AS MUCH as I would like to of everything that I want!

Oh, and remember, you can eat any quantity you want of zero point vegetables. (Maybe technically a point should kick in eventually, but I wouldn't bother.)

I do think one's tastes change after awhile. There are foods that I may never (or almost never) eat again, because they aren't worth the points. I do yumminess/pointiness equations in my mind now, for sure.

I am also okay with being fairly abstemious some days of the week, and then splurging a bit later in the week. Although this week was such a letdown!!! I was saving up flex points for the Trustee Dinner at my college, knowing that there would probably be a chocolate-y dessert. The president likes chocolate. Worked out the day of the dinner, so I'd have extra points to spend. Avoided the waiters w/the hors d'oeuvres. Saving my points so I can savor that dessert guilt free. I ate the meal, but luckily the portion of meat was reasonably in size. And then...there was coconut cake. So disappointing. I'm not a fan. I had a couple polite bites, then had chocolate when I got home! ;)

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Cha Cha MamaVery well said. Just part of your daily routine, the way you do this. Nice...

6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

WHAT?!?!!!!!!!!

That's practically like you hurled an ethnic insult. You take that back, Peaches!

Surely, you meant to say that your passionate love for libraries is so intense that it is almost painful to be in their presence...that you are worried that, lotus-like, the books will keep you on their island forever....

Do you like bookstores better? Borrowing books from friends? The Kindle?

7. pygmalion

ROTFLMAO!

Agreed, CCM. It must've been a sad, formative experience. *shaking head contemplatively*

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I do like bookstores better, especially if they have a nice cafe. But I love being in our university libraries, too...

9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

This is it! It! Thank you, CCM. Yes, tracking helps enormously; when I don't track, I screw up and gain. But mindfulness is key. Pizza and beer? Sure. Just not too much pizza and beer. And, like CCM, I have maintained my WW weight loss (barring the past 2 weeks grrr) for years, eating peanut butter, chocolate, pasta, ice cream. Food should indeed be delicious, or why bother? I love to cook; I like playing with my food, so to speak, so weighing and measuring portions is no hardship. YMobviouslyMV.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It works... Including when you give yourself a break and not be too hard on yourself. Lots and lots of dancing, too...

11. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Peach, obviously you need to start on my brand new exercise program, Milonga 'n' Hustle Til You Drop. ;)

By my estimate, a half hour of milonga or hustle = 6 points. No joke.

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To Peaches...

Peaches, all this contributes to your charm... :)

13. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Add hot peppers!

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I love them!

15. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

They make meals more thrilling, an adventure!

17. pygmalion

And they raise your metabolism IIRC.

18. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

good to add for dieters

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'm a fire-eating pepper fanatic--and I love 'em for all those reasons, as well as the anti-oxidant power and how they seem to help when I have a cold...

20. pygmalion

Yepper. My ex-mom-in-law has two "medicines" in her pamtry. Ginger and red pepper. They cure a lot of ills. Say what you will. Pepper works. :cool: