Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I noticed a similar reaction within myself. I count...calories, not points.....and always seem to find myself weighing the yumminess vs calories. (how much bang do I get for my caloric-buck, as it were) I, who used to be a candy bar junky, can now walk right past the candy at the store and not even blink. :)

This does not mean that I have given up sweets, but it's a relief not to feel the need to follow every meal with 280 empty calories in a plastic wrapper.

Now.....if I could just locate a calorie-free buttercream frosting......
  2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

MMMMMMmmmmmmm.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*clearing throat* This is a DIET thread, ladies. :lol:

Of course, I do believe that the best way to succeed at a diet is to wat whatever you want, in moderation. Verboten = irresistable. Just eat a small portion of icing and move on. :cool:
  4. Nybz

Nybz New Member

*hands Pyg a tub of icing*
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the hellman's olive oil mayo? I've been pleased w/ the canola, which is only 1 pt for a T, unlike regular mayo which is 2. The olive oil mayo comes out to be only 1 pt, also. If anyone's tried it, can you LMK whether it's delicious or don't bother? TIA.
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think i tried it once. i do prefer olive oil mayo. wouldn't go near canola. if you're considering a switch, i'd encourage making it and dropping the canola in the garbage. not a healthy thing...
  7. pygmalion

*bump*

Why is canola bad? Just curious, because I've heard that from many people, most of whom were new converts to healthy eating and way too earnest to give a logical explanation. :lol:

And this bump is not just to resurrect a lame thread I started. :oops: :lol:

Just curious. What do y'all eat when you're out (on the road, for example) and fast food is the only (or the best or the most economical) option?

I like Wendy's plain baked potato (I throw away half) topped with chili. I don't know how many points that would be, on the current program, but, back when I had it for lunch all the time, it was ... five?

Anybody else have a fave?
  8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

9. pygmalion

What at Subway? I'm guessing it's probably not the Philly steak with melted cheese ... :lol: :cool:

I like Subway, too, btw. Used to like them better when they had Light chips made with Olean. One point per bag. Rockin!
  10. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

turkey on wheat, lots of veggies
  11. pygmalion

Yum! The ham is surprisingly low in calories/points/fat, too. :cool:

Or, to mix it up and keep the cost down, you can do turkey and ham. I forget which day of the week, but it's on their discount ($2.49 here) menu.
  12. pygmalion

Here it is, P.

Anybody with WW experience, please post here and help Peaches.
  13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ok, secondhand knowledge of Jenny Craig (I'm assuming WW and JC are alike) -

Very small portions of food at high prices and the tastier food is often out of stock. Counselors are highly variable in usefulness, knowledge, etc.

One can save a bundle of $$ by eating "correctly" and exercising. Most ppl fall off the JK wagon and then have to fight the fight all over again.

YMMV.
  14. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

JC and WW are nothing alike. No food is supplied in WW, and it is a system designed to teach you to eat "correctly." Of course, lots of people fall off that wagon, too.
  15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

P, are you doing WW online or going to meetings?
  16. pygmalion

I know some people who absolutely love Jenny Craig because they don't have to think about the food. Almost everything is pre-measured and pre-decided for them. And actually, you're right nucat. Dieting is dieting. No need to discriminate against JC. Dieters, post at will. *grin* :cool:

I have done WW with traditional meetings. at-work meetings, and online. My first choice is online.

I found meetings disturbing because 1)I am not fat, just a bit rounder than I'd like. The traditional meetings I went to included a lot of morbidly obese people who couldn't help but resent me. I could feel it. I didn't blame them. If I had 200 pounds to lose, I'd resent somebody whining about 20, too. *shrug*

2) I really felt that people's root problems weren't being addressed. They replaced food obsession with lack-of-food obsession. Maybe that's one reason why people fall off the wagon, WG. They never develop an emotionally healthy relationship with food. Who knows?

3) Finding a meeting that consistently worked with my schedule was challenging.

4) The best way, IMV, to make sure your weigh-ins don't included clothing variations, is to weigh in nekkid. :shock: :lol: Kinda hard to do at a meeting with fifty middle aged women. lol!

At-work meetings helped with 1-3 because it was a meeting started by a group of my peers, most of whom were like me -- round but not fat. It was easier because there was no resentment and not nearly as much full-fledged food addiction.

Oddly enough, even the people at work had no desire to see me nekkid. So, for #4 I was on my own. :lol:

OTOH, the meeting leaders were super experienced, helpful and supportive, especially during the first few weeks, when I was learning how to make different choices.
  17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Online. I'm not a meetings kinda girl.
  18. pygmalion

I didn't think you were, P. It would annoy you, I think.

That one free intro meeting can be very helpful, though.
  19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Given that I avoid people in general...yeah.

What you mentioned about replacing an obsession with eating with another obsession with not eating...yeah, that struck a chord. Not for me, personally (I love food too much.), but dealing with my parents. My mom knows I'm working on this...again...and she means well, but calling or texting every day to ask what I've eaten is making me crazy. And the comments of "oh, you'll just get used to being hungry and it won't bother you" and warnings about eating too much broccoli don't help either. Uh, no. I refuse to get used to being hungry all the time, and given that I'm hungry enough to start gnawing on the kitchen cabinets when I get home, a ton of broccoli is doing pretty good. I could have gone for chips and dip, ya know? (And I don't really even like chips and dip!)
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

The opposite, for me. I made sure to have my "before" picture with me whenever I went to a meeting -- I was on the road at the time, so I've done meetings in Pittsburgh, Denver, Houston, Louisville, Dallas, Baltimore, Tulsa, DC, Kansas City... I was often the new face, and I made damn sure that they knew my story; I've hijacked many a meeting, b/c I knew that I'd get out of it more than I put in. Were the morbidly obese uncomfortable? I dunno. But they saw that real success was possible. People told me over and over that I was inspirational.

BTW, since when are you responsible for what other people think of you?

Interesting that you think wanting to lose +/- 20 pounds is not fat. This is regional. Around these parts, 20 pounds overweight is practically cause for social ostracism.

Another disagree. But that's a meeting leader issue; when you have a leader who realizes that it's all about real change, and you're ready for it, you get real change. Most of the "tools for living" are really behavior mod techniques. Lots of people don't give them their due; I was certainly one, until one day, the light bulb went on.

<snip>
    I wore the same lightweight clothes every meeting. Boring but effective.

<snip>

A good leader is everything. How does that work, online? Is the website your leader?