Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Here's my starting WW advice, P:

1. Try not to think of it as a "diet," that is, a temporary, drastic, deprivation period. Try to think of it as a exploration of how you can get to and maintain the weight you want while eating in a way you enjoy. The first week or two is a transition period, where you have a lot to learn about how to make the program work for you. Like dance, it's a journey.

2. Make sure to eat all your points, including your weekly extras. Later on, if you want to speed weight loss, you can skip your extras, but you need them at first not to be hungry and frustrated.

3. Be kind to yourself, especially the first week or two. It's far better to go over a couple of points on a given day than to be hungry, angry, and frustrated.

4. Don't limit yourself to "diet" foods. Start to learn the point values of foods, including treats, that you like and how you can incorporate them. I can't live without bread and potatoes, and I eat them almost every day on ww. Your liquid breakfast the other day doesn't sound like enough to keep you from being hungry; try adding some yogurt (Greek is fab) or a slice of toast, or 2-3 points of anything you like that will keep you fuller and more satisfied.

5. You will obsess about it at first. So use that energy in a positive way. Poke around the website for tips on using WW. Study up on 0, 1, and 2 point foods, so you can eat whenever you are hungry (and make sure you have them around). Plan out how you are going to "spend" your points that day. Find new recipes on the ww website you'd like to try. Figure out the point values of recipes you already have and see if they can work as is, or if there is a way to modify them to be less point-y.

As far as your mom is concerned, reply to any and all inquiries about your eating with this phrase: "I stuck to my program!" Nothing more.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

@j_a. You make a very good point. The experience one has at a Weight Watchers meeting is very personal. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. :cool:

@WG (and Peaches, I suppose :) ) All very good pieces of advice.

3. pygmalion

I was thinking about this this afternoon.

When I was doing WW, the only "meal" I ate was at dinner time. Other than that, I more or less grazed all day, so I never got hungry.

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I asked my ww expert (a friend who has lost over 100 lbs. on ww) about fruit on the new program. It truly is unlimited. She says people have asked her meeting leader so many times, "can I really eat 7 bananas at a sitting for 0 points?" that the leader is threatening to bring in 7 bananas and make the next person who asks eat them all.

So, P, your spinach and pear smoothie was 0 points.

5. pygmalion

Thanks wg. :cool: I'll have to try the new program to see how it differs from the ones I've been on.

Does anybody know if Dotti updated her site yet?

6. pygmalion

Wow! I just went and checked out the ww site. Totally and completely different! In a good way, IMO. One of the pet peeves I've had with the points system is that, especially in the early version, it was way too easy to cheat the system, meaning stay within your points range while basically eating crap. (Later versions tried to address this, but, IMV, weren't completely successful. If you were inclined to cheat, there were ways.) I had a guy friend who successfully lost quite a bit by starving all day and eating pizza with beer for dinner, and who stayed within his points range the whole time.

It looks like this new iteration takes into account that not all calories are created equal -- meaning one 100-calorie oatmeal raisin cookie has a different impact on your body than a 100-calorie nectarine. Duh! Of course.

Pondering joining online so I can learn the new system with you, P. Thanks. :)

Note to self: The planets are aligning and nature's minions conspiring to make sure that I go the live green smoothie route. Looks like it would be easy to integrate into the new ww. Just sayin.

btw: No idea if anybody eats them, but Kroger and its affiliated stores have Lean Cuisine entrees on sale this week.

7. pygmalion

To each her own. If labeling it fat keeps you motivated, more power to ya. :cool: :) Seriously. Whatever works for you, works.

Also, my view may be shaped by the fact that, in my culture, women are expected to have a fair amount of meat on their bones. Thin is not necessarily the goal. Healthy? Yeah. Thin? Maybe or maybe not. Eh.

When I was doing the at-work meetings, I did the same thing. I had half a dozen linen sheath dresses all in different colors. I wore one every Wednesday. It worked for me. :D

Online there is no leader. It's a completely different approach, based on the idea that ww provides the needed info and you, the member, take charge of getting the info you need when you need it. **

I really prefer it, with the disclaimer that, if I were completely new to ww, I'd go to the free intro meeting, just to be able to ask dumb questions. There's no obligation to buy the $40 a month pass. Just go to one meeting. It will help make the points system make sense. *Ahem* D'ya hear me, P?

That said, having done the program in a few incarnations, I suspect I'll never go to another meeting. I never again want to sit in a room full of people rhapsodizing about pumpkin angel food cake. Ever. That kind of stuff gives me the creeps.

But I do think that ww is the bomb. Definitely. Once you learn to work the system.

** Aside: I wonder if they've considered adding an online chat feature.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

That's good to hear re WW's new point system. From experience, the notion of tracking points for simple greens-and-fruit Live Green Smoothies is, to me, utterly ridiculous. Appears that WW finally agrees... :)

9. pygmalion

Yep. It took a while. But now it looks like LGS (and/or raw) all day and a balanced dinner is officially approved by WW. Sign me up!

10. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My piano teacher has had a fair bit of success on WW...

Me, not so much. I haven't officially tried, but I looked through her little booklet thing for points values, and tried to count the points and all...

Didn't work. Same with calorie-in calorie-out counter based diets. Just cannot be bothered keeping track of every single thing that I eat.

So instead, I try to think in general..."Is what I'm eating healthy and necessary? Am I hungry? Do I really need that 500gm packet, or will the 300gm packet fill me up?"
    So I've been grazing until lunchtime, having a sandwich and fruit for lunch, and then having whatever dinner comes my way (thanks, mum). When I cook my dinner, I try to get something healthy - fish, chicken, beef...some protein, etc.

Portion control works best for me, I think, too.

11. pygmalion

I respect that.

L. Do me a favor and just try writing down what you eat for a day or two. (A week is better, but a couple days may be enough.) I think it will be enlightening at the very least.

To me, the food diary was the most valuable component of ww, even though I hated it. One. It made me think about what I was eating and left me no room for rationalization. Two. It made me less inclined to eat something I'd beat myself up about, the morning after. Three. It helped me hold myself accountable in the moment of decision. Four. It helped me see personal trends in my food/weight equation that may have had nothing to do with common knowledge or anybody else.

12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I hear you...shall try to do it.

For a while I was using the caloriecount website...took into account the calorie content of the food, the nutritional value, and the amount of "bad" stuff (sodium, saturated fat, etc.) in a food.
    You could also put in the exercise you did.

It worked for me, but sort of made me obsess about food...not necessarily a bad thing - made me aware of the massive amounts of bad stuff that's in my frequently consumed foods...but in trying to cut down on "bad" foods, I neglected to get some more "good" foods to fill up their place.

I don't drink flavoured milks much anymore though, and nor do I have 2-3 packets of 2-minute noodles a day.

I'll start writing things down for a week or so.

13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Still doesn't come up that way. Bizarre. Likewise, my salad of romaine, spinach, cucumber, pepper, and carrots--if put in separately then 0 points, if put together then it's 2 points. TDNWMH. I don't mind taking a hit for something, but I want to understand why.

I do like the fact that three egg whites are 0 points. And adding a half a yolk only adds 1 point. I like scrambled eggs or a sammich or an omelet with 2-3 whites and half a yolk...and this means it's not a huge points hit. And it's an easy enough thing to bring in to work. Granted, adding a slice of cheese and putting it on bread takes one hell of a toll. But i'm not eating eggs without cheese, cuz it's nasty.

14. Peaches

That's one of the issues I had with it a couple of years ago. I just felt like if I was going to go the prepackaged meal/food route it would have been insanely easy, and somewhat rewarded...and I felt like I got dinged (and my life was made difficult) by eating healthy. Twinkie-like things were 1 point, but my fruit and veg were more than that? Really? It ticked me off. I like the fruits and veggies being free now...and I can definitely see myself moving more in the direction of raw/smoothie route during the day...because, yeah, it seems tailor-made.

OTOH, it is still easy to game the system. Raw all day, drink at night. Not that I know from experience... *whistles innocently*

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hah... well, if you're raw all day, you're gonna find your capacity to drink in the evening GREATLY reduced. :)

cheaper on the pocketbook, and... no guilt.:cool:

16. Peaches

You are NOT kidding! I am reeling from the effects of that last night. Good god. 2 drinks, nothing out of the ordinary, and I was so wasted last night. And this morning...well, it hasn't been the most pleasant, lol. Thank goodness for Advil, and water...not so thankful for DH practicing.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

add the LGSs in, peach...massive hydration, in the right way... your cells will thank you. :)

18. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

I've recently started reading the TruuConfessions site a lot (check it out if you haven't already, there's some...ah...interesting stuff on there, LOL), and they have a body-related section. There was a confession on there around the start of the week where the confessor said she asked herself before giving in to any food temptation, "Do I need this, or just want it? Will I regret it?" and it's really helped her to get her eating under control. I thought that was a great idea, and I've been doing it a little bit myself this week.

There was another one I thought was great for workout motivation--the poster said that when she didn't want to work out or was getting tired, she'd ask herself if she'd rather be tossed or hoisted by a man, and that she'd been hoisted in the past and really hated it. I HAVE been doing that this week and it surely does work, hahaha!

19. Peaches

I would, but we are currently out of veggies except onions, parsnips and potatoes. Oh...wait...we have some romaine left. But no fruit except cranberries and lemons at the moment. Heh. Gotta go shopping.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, i'm thinking not even *i* am up for an onion, parsnip, potato LGS...

cranberries & whole (peeled) lemons with raw honey would be pretty awesome, tho! (if you dont have grapes for sweetness...)