Dieting discoveries

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Peaches: I bet it's the calorie total that's biting you in the butt, points-wise. When I did ww online a couple years ago, that was it. Calorie total. It ticked me off, so I played around with the system until I figured it out. Unless the site has changed, there's also a bunch of background info and an FAQ section that probably hold the answer somewhere.

And even at 2 points per smoothie, LGS/raw all day could be a cake walk. Eat/drink/slurp as much as you want all day, have the same dinner your family has at night (within reason) and stay on target. Sounds good to me. :-D

And btw: Parsnips? Parsnips? Who the heck eats parsnips? :lol: Get thee to a farmer's market!
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Parsnips are awesome! I'd never had them until a couple of months ago, when I found a recipe I wanted to try. They're like carrots, only better! Sweeter, more complex, and more healthy. OM NOM!

Yeah, I'm thinking smoothies are going to factor heavily into things. Being able to eat/drink continuously all day long is very appealing. The fact that I seriously struggle with being hydrated enough, and smoothies making it very easy, is another big thing. And can't argue with the fruits and veggies. Gotta find what's available around here now. I love pears, and like the pear and spinach smoothie, but I need some variety. Also, I'm running into logistical issues. I've got an old olive jar and a pasta sauce jar which work well and hold about a blenderfull together...but any more than that I have to find a new way to schlep them into work.

In other news, I have come to the conclusion that fresh lemon juice + spicy brown mustard is a pretty tasty substitution for mayo with tunafish. Not great, and it flavors more than it binds, but it'll do. Reminds me of a former coworker who seemed to live off tuna w/ salsa and mustard. (Ah, memories of being broke right out of college and finding food to eat...)
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

parsnips are awesome.... cooked, the way potatoes are awesome cooked. :) they're also great in stock-making.

i wanna try some dehydro, himmy-salted parsnip chips in my dehydrator...yum
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Parsnips go nicely in my stew...

Thinking...perhaps WW adds points to smoothies because they assume you put other stuff (sugar, I dunno, milk?) in them, not just the fruit.

And now I have money, thinking of getting back to LGS land. Everyone else thought I was nuts ("But it's green...blergh") but they really did taste delicious.
  5. pygmalion

I'll try parsnips. Heck. I'll try any food once. I'm not too hopeful, but I will try them. :cool: (Feeling slightly hypocritical, since I do in fact loooove rutabagas, a similarly weird and inexplicable veggie. *grin* )

Answer to Dotti's question from above. Looks like her site hasn't been updated, so it's pretty much dead in the water, for now. From what I've seen on the WW site, the point values of things are very, very different than they used to be. Darn shame. Dotti's Weight Loss Zone used to be an invaluable tool. I hope she gets it back up to speed soon.

ETA: Her front page says that the update is underway, but, because it's a huge undertaking, will take a while. When done, both old and new point values will be included. Nice. In the meantime, though, she's not as dead in the water as I thought. The nutritionals are still there, so you can plug in the numbers and do your own calculations, if you want. :cool:
  6. Lioness

Ok, so stuff I ate today...(apologies if this turns in to Lioness's food diary...)

Breakfast: 1/2 ham, cheese, and pineapple danish.
    Lunch: 1 banana, 1 nectarine, 1 roll of chicken/avocado sushi.
    Dinner: 2 bowls chicken stir fry
    Nibbles: 1 piece of wedding cake, a couple of mints.

Also had about 3 bottles of water to drink, and a can of Mother.

Am going to go completely cold-turkey on the Mother, because I'm not liking what it's doing to me. Going to replace with either tea or just plain water.
  7. pygmalion

What is Mother?
  8. Lioness

Energy drink, with caffeine, guarana, taurine, and a whole lot of other not-so-great stuff.
  9. pygmalion

Oh. Like Red Bull. Gotcha.

Thanks for trying the food diary idea, L. :)
  10. Lioness

:)

It's good for me (the food diary, that is)...it helps me see what I've eaten, and what I need more of, in terms of vitamins, red meat, etc,
  11. pygmalion

When I first started the food diary, the biggest realization for me was how much hidden fat there was in things I was eating. Things like veggies from the cafe at work (drowned in butter) got substituted with steamed veggies from home, for example. I was able to identify quite a bit of low-hanging fruit, weight-loss wise.

Like a lot of people, I wasn't eating a large volume of food (although I did need to learn about portion size.) The big issue was that I was making too many calorie-dense choices.

It's a lot easier to see patterns when things are written down. :cool:
  12. pygmalion

Question to anybody who's done WW online. Is there a way to buy WW stuff online, through mail order, for example?

One of the things I appreciated about WW meetings is that the leader would occasionally bring in new stuff for us to buy/try -- snack bars or measuring spoons or extra points calculators -- whatever. I especially liked the meetings at the WW office. They had LOTS of stuff in stock. :) I never figured out a way to purchase stuff like that via the online version. Does anybody know if it's possible? Or do you have to buy the month pass to be able to access both online and traditional meetings?
  13. Lioness

Food diary for today:
    1 Iced Coffee
    1 large chunk of bread
    ~200g of beef dipped in egg. (yum)
    Peas, carrots, corn, broccoli.
    Can of pepsi max

I don't think I ate enough...didn't actually have breakfast, because I was asleep, and then I sort of forgot lunch as well.
  14. Peaches

Parsnips and rutabegas are nothing alike. Rutabegas=blech! :)

Try this:
    1/2 lb parsnips, 1 lb carrots--both cut into roughly even-sized pieces
    1 T fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
    1-2 T butter, melted

Heat oven to 425.

Toss parsnips and carrots with butter and rosemary, and some salt and pepper (to taste). Spread on foil-lined baking sheet. Cover tightly with more foil and bake for about 15 minutes.

Take the foil cover off, stir things up, and bake them a bit longer until they are soft and nicely browned. YUM!!!
  15. pygmalion

I didn't say they're alike. They're similarly weird. *grin* I'll try the recipe.
  16. Peaches

Well, there's this. But for me, the underlying issue is that the calorie-dense things are what actually taste good and are things that I want to eat. Hmmm...snack on veggie slices, or snack on crackers and cheese. No contest. Fruit for breakfast, or biscuits with sausage gravy. Healthy lasagna, or tasty lasagna. The two realms of food are in no way equivalent in any universe. There is no way NOT to feel deprived. And "just having a small bit" is not the answer. 1)I can't do that. 2)Even if I could, 3 bites of lasagna just is not satisfying...at all...ever. I'd just as soon go without.

Bottom line: non-calorie-dense food just.is.not.appealing.
  17. pygmalion

Gotcha. There's nothing like my favorite things with lots of butter. Dieting sucks. Not sure that I have the experience or authority to give any advice, here. My suggestion would be to do what you're already contemplating. Do the smoothie-during-the-day thing. Super low points. Then eat whatever the heck you want at night (or at some designated time during the day.) That's what I'd try, at least to start.

And I feel ya. These people who eat a frozen diet entree and say they're satisfied are lying. Period. Just kidding!

But I never have understood how anyone could be satisfied by 9 ounces of low-cal, no-fat, no-fun, high-sodium, pre-packaged crap. Don't get me wrong. I ate it. But I was most definitely NOT satisfied. Eh.
  18. Peaches

Yeah, smoothies are looking like a winner. Gotta find some way to not be hungry while I balance out eating some of what I want. (Like open-face peanut butter and banana sammiches.)
  19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

That sounds absurdly delicious. I'd use just a bit of olive oil instead, and it would be basically 0 points. I do cauliflower like this: chop, s&p, spray w/olive oil, roast @400 covered 30 minutes, turn, roast uncovered 20 minutes, consume. I'll add carrots and parsnips to this. Yum.
  20. Peaches

Yeah, I'm sure olive oil could be substituted. I never think to cook with olive oil. This is a straight-up Cooks Illustrated recipe.