Difficult Routines

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, May 1, 2007.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Chris-- early open comp. and real ones ?-- explain please ?

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Couples initially moving beyond the syllabus may end up dancing a quickstep composed exclusively of figures that have nothing in common with syllabus type movements - that's leaving a lot out. More advanced couples will utilize both types of movement.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I agree...when all the swinging figures are removed from a Quickstep routine, it just looks like the couple is jogging around the floor and I really don't like that. Some of my favorite presentations from some of the best couples in the US and overseas, as Chris points out, incorporate both types of movement to great effect and contrast.

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats just as I heard it at a pre-comp-lecture (by a judge) who expressed exasperation that the championship (AM or PRO0 dancers now totally omit steps such as the quick open reverse! As you say, this shows a totally different skill/dance set. I suppose no (standard) dance has as much diversity as offered between the swing and step-hop combinations in quickstep (and maybe none has less emphasis on finess - or am I going to get into deep trouble for that, maybe I should say is harder to finess, not sure..)

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

It was the wording " not common " that has me a little perplexed .

Many of the more advanced " tricks " , are extensions of a basic premise.
    Of course one would not see them at lower levels, but surely, is not the point of most dances " expression " ? .

The evolvement of q /step and again, I speak from an empirical viewpoint, has gone thru several changes over the last 70 plus yrs--- but --- the foundation material is still represented in the lower echelons .

It begs the q-- would you rather watch top class Pros sticking to a simpler format ?.
    I do not disagree in principle, that if allowed to stray too far in a given direction, the whole premise might be lost--- however-- I believe that todays interpretations, by and large, represent the current musical trends .

I think if one has to " pick " at a dance that has strayed, then Tango would be the prime candidate. ( dont lets even mention Latin !! )