Discussion or debate?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Franz Jostopovich, Dec 6, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

point was, the threads with which he had previously take issue were in ballroom...

as to why people have left and why peopel have returned...some are due to people not liking the way they are moderated... some are due to people having changes in their lives that make participating no longer a priority....all well and good...sometimes tastes change, sometimes people change....and a whole bunch of other stuff which only staff knows about because we don't let the forum fill up with this sort of gunk...the community is the way it is...it is moderated the way it is moderated...which works exceedingly well a good 98% of the time...no one has a gun held to their head to participate, and no one is so vital that the forum won't survive without them...I know of absences due to friendships that have disolved, absences due to dancing no longer being a main focus, absences due to personal tragedies...occasionally absence due to a person having been banned...we have a staff mailbox...if you want to go into specific complaints about moderation or about this forum in general, you can take them there....we WON'T have a public thread debating moderation/policy....that being said, generally the only folks who find this forum hostile, are folks who are completely resistant to hearing feedback (unless it is exactly what they want to hear), which is sort of the whole point of a forum....it seems to me that folks here generally approach newbs with their best foot forward until a prolonged experience of what seems to be socially odd/offensive, becomes a pattern or they are themselves being unfairly accused of bullying/vindictiveness/hating...that tends to get fair-minded, honestly helpfully intended people a tad annoyed

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

While this thread is in the Dancers Anonymous forum, there has been other discussion in the Ballroom forum.

3. fascination

heh...I thought joe was a total jerk when I first came on here :)

Larinda McRaven and Lioness like this.
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'm still not sure :p

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  5. fascination

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The posts by OP which have prompted the negative response he's complaining about were in the ballroom forum.

7. tancos

tancos Active Member

Understood (now!). I'm not a Ballroom Dancer so I don't read that forum...

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No worries tancos... and those silly ballroom people probably looked rather unfriendly without the context! ;)

fascination likes this.
  9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If you look back far and comprehensively enough, you may note multiple whole cohorts of "familiar faces" that have appeared, become familiar, figured out how to discuss all the usual topics with each other, and disappeared.

Oh, look, it's happening again.

Hedwaite likes this.
  10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I don't have the time to invest playing Castle that you do, I guess. Only when old threads are dug up and dusted off does it get noticed.

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It wasn't detective work, it was the voice of experience. I'm actually in one of the older cohorts myself (particularly when I measure from the time I started lurking, rather than the time I started posting).

12. fascination

it is just the nature of things

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

A quick side note about the "use the search function" advice.

It can be a little frustrating when you ask a question, and rather than answer it, someone directs you to searching and reading material. This is not because they don't care, or are too lazy to answer your question. It just that the type of question you ask says a lot about your level of understanding. Don't just read the site, read and re-read it until you have a basic understanding, not only of how the dance industry is in general, but also how THIS forum operates.

If you have a question, try searching the forum first. Odds are, the answer is already posted here somewhere. If you can't find the answer anywhere, feel free to ask! There are many members here who are willing to give help and advice to the new guys. All we ask in return is that you do your homework before asking questions.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    stash likes this.
  14. tancos

tancos Active Member

With 1,000,000 posts people may need to use the search function to find your note about using the search function ;)

cornutt and SDsalsaguy like this.
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yup, probably.

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

And a note on searching...you can get much more flexible results if you use google but type site:dance-forums.com before what you want to search...that way it doesn't exclude all those pesky 3 letter words that are important to your search (like, say, Cha Cha)